Covid. Still Around?..

cambriah

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

You came back with covid, but how serious was it?

I wasn't hospitalized but was too sick to even walk the dog. For me, that was pretty sick. 

I'm from the healthcare world and am fully aware of vaccine effectiveness. I shared the information to let others know that precautions are still smart. Cruising is a common way for folks who aren't normally exposed in their daily life to get COVID. It makes an appearance regularly on cruise ships and is no longer being reported.

Vaccines keep you out of the hospital and alive. I got fairly sick and it took quite a while for my cough from bronchitis to clear. I'm only 62 and in good health. My husband is 68 and was sick with flu-like symptoms for a week and felt better in about 10 days. He has already had the extra bivalent booster for added immunity before our cruise next week. I am not eligible yet.

Like influenza, people have to be smart. If you are a senior or have other medical issues you need to take extra precautions. That does not mean cruising is off limits. Yes, we had COVID. We also have 5 cruises booked in the next year including out of the country. I think sharing information is important.

Edited by LabMom57
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, LabMom57 said:

I wasn't hospitalized but was too sick to even walk the dog. For me, that was pretty sick. 

I'm from the healthcare world and am fully aware of vaccine effectiveness. I shared the information to let others know that precautions are still smart. Cruising is a common way for folks who aren't normally exposed in their daily life to get COVID. It makes an appearance regularly on cruise ships and is no longer being reported.

Vaccines keep you out of the hospital and alive. I got fairly sick and it took quite a while for my cough from bronchitis to clear. I'm only 62 and in good health. My husband is 68 and was sick with flu-like symptoms for a week and felt better in about 10 days. He has already had the extra bivalent booster for added immunity before our cruise next week. I am not eligible yet.

Like influenza, people have to be smart. If you are a senior or have other medical issues you need to take extra precautions. That does not mean cruising is off limits. Yes, we had COVID. We also have 5 cruises booked in the next year including out of the country. I think sharing information is important.

Thanks, for sharing.  

I'm from a public health background, with some experience in travel medicine.  If there's a vaccine available, I take it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, lovevacadays said:

If you get quarantined on the ship because of COVID I’m assuming you have to stay in your cabin IE… Quarantine. How do they handle your meals?  Is it only meals from the MDR or Room Service or are there other options?  

What sort of other options? I don't believe you can "shop the Lido".

Not trying to be testy! I'm glad you brought this topic back to the top. My 76yo husband and I (just turned 65) got our umpteenth booster first week of October. My 45yo cousin who is living with us, tested positive mid-month. He had only two possible contacts: standing outside in a parking lot chatting with other cyclists (but maybe not 6' apart) and at a recovery meeting where he wore a well-fitting KN95 mask and sat in the back of the room. In other words, he takes it seriously too. But still nabbed!

We may have put too much faith in our boosters; a week later DH tested positive and the next day me too. We had not isolated Cousin or masked in our own house. Cousin and DH had the classic body-aches, fatigue, and malaise; I had a nasty headcold. We all took Paxlovid in turn and recovered by the end of the 5-day regime, but my DH rebounded including testing positive again.

We're all testing not-positive now, in time for Thanksgiving.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 11:59 AM, cambriah said:

Hi All:

We are two Seniors in our 80’s and love to cruise. Unfortunately, our last cruise was in 2019, and we haven’t cruised since due to the Covid situation.

We both have underlying health issues — diabetes, heart disease — but with that said, we would love to get in at least one more cruise while we are still able.

my question is this:

For those of you who have cruised RECENTLY, would you please let me me know if you observed or heard any good/ bad talk about Covid while on board your ship.

any information or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

We are ready to head out to sea, but would like to know if Covid is or is not still a Major issue on cruise ships.

Thanks in advance,

Cambriah

I was on Grand Princess a couple of weeks ago. The ship disembarked a few passengers due to them having Covid, and I believe there were a few sick with something else contagious. (They were disembarked in Adelaide, Australia so first class medical care.)
They did a deep clean of the ship. I didn't hear of anyone else getting sick, and it was a slow news week so I'm sure the media would have dramatised it.
My husband is immune compromised, so my brother and I self-quarantined and used our rat tests. He's not going to come on a cruise, but he loves to see how happy we are when we come back.

We are back to wearing masks when out in busy malls and stores again.  Our hand hygiene has not dropped off from the height of Covid, and it is no hand to mouth, nose, or eyes, until home and hands are washed.  When we go to a restaurant, we order and when the menus are no longer needed we go wash our hands and walk back to our table like surgeons that just walked into the operating room...  (Joking)....  but we do believe that right now it is not just Covid that is a threat, but Flu and RSV too.  

And not that anyone here is going to say anything, but I don't care if people look at us like "what the heck".

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

What the heck?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Many places here have taken to having (what's it called, that square you point your mobile phone at?). You can keep your hands to your own stuff, no shared menus. But we carry small bottles of sanitiser anyway. Refill from the home supply as needed.

An old security mantra: the good guys need to be right all the time. The bad guy only needs to be right once.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JVes said:

What the heck?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Haha.  Yeah - the QR codes.  I want a real menu.  I hate those things for ordering and deciding.  Not the same experience for me anyway.  

My mum had polio as a child. She made sure we had all our immunisations. 

As for Covid vaccines, my father is a medical research scientist (now retired) and he had no reservations about us having it. Nothing is really ever new in medicine. Many people will have been working on it for many years. Whilst Covid was new, Coronaviruses aren’t 

• Like 1