Unexpected benefit from NCL

A few months ago, we booked a two week cruise, sailing almost a year from now.  Last week, I noticed the cruise had disappeared from the NCL website, but thought it was just  I.T. glitch.

Today, got email from NCL that the cruise is cancelled.  I'm getting a full refund back, plus a discount on a future cruise, valid for 18 months.

Refund: expected.  Discount on future cruise: unexpected.  It's a year out, it's not as though we were inconvenienced, as though the cruise was sailing in the next month or so.

Legacy airlines have no remorse about changing their schedules, cancelling flights . . .  have never received anything more from them beyond here's a refund if you want to rebook.  

I've been "walked" from oversold hotels, but that's only on day of arrival at their hotel, and so they pay for my stay elsewhere, plus refund any deposits.  That's normal.   

So, once again, nice gesture from NCL.  I've sailed on just one other cruise line, so perhaps this is normal, IDK.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Goldenknight said:

So, once again, nice gesture from NCL.  I've sailed on just one other cruise line, so perhaps this is normal, IDK.

Where was this cruise?  Curious if it might have been in Europe where there are different passenger protections?

Same thing happened to me last year. My Baltic cruise was cancelled (for obvious reasons), so they refunded my deposit and issued a 10% coupon for a future cruise. Like you, my original cruise was over a year away.

I was able to apply the 10% discount on an NCL cruise that I had already booked.

I would also expect it to be 10% that is what we got for our transatlantic that was cancelled, it didn't end up being worth that much as it's 10% of the base fare.

17 hours ago, ZachIsHere said:

Solid, are you going to do the same type of trip you originally had planned or switch it up?

Will book a similar two week trip, but with itinerary to suit the time of year we now go

10 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Where was this cruise?  Curious if it might have been in Europe where there are different passenger protections?

It was a transatlantic cruise, on the Joy.  It was cancelled due to dry dock scheduling.  

IDK if other cruise lines do this, but providing that discount for a future cruise, when my booked cruise isn't sailing for another year is unexpectedly awesome.

I'm familiar with EU 261 though, having lived abroad, years ago. Didn't know any cruise rules then, as never cruised until 2019.  

Edited by Goldenknight
  • Like 1