Guys fries are generic…here’s proof!

CeleBrat

1 minute ago, wemjam said:

Uh, no.  Someone else already posted that they said they took them away because no one ate them. 

You know that's Carnival's go to excuse when they cut something. There used to be free drinks late afternoon for anyone who wanted to go in the main lounge on every 7 day or more cruise on the last day.

When Carnival wanted to eliminate this popular event Carnival stopped listing it in the ship's paper and then when people didn't go because they weren't aware of it Carnival said the free drinks party was eliminated " for lack of attendance." There are other examples of the long history of Carnival using this ploy to cutback.

The other things you mention about bacon, etc. I agree with you 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sanmarcosman said:

You know that's Carnival's go to excuse when they cut something. There used to be free drinks late afternoon for anyone who wanted to go in the main lounge on every 7 day or more cruise on the last day.

When Carnival wanted to eliminate this popular event Carnival stopped listing it in the ship's paper and then when people didn't go because they weren't aware of it Carnival said the free drinks party was eliminated " for lack of attendance." There are other examples of the long history of Carnival using this ploy to cutback.

The other things you mention about bacon, etc. I agree with you 🙂 

The only point I was making was they didn't take the mushrooms away for the couple of us that enjoyed a spoon on the side either, which is what you kind of implied. 😁

8 minutes ago, wemjam said:

The only point I was making was they didn't take the mushrooms away for the couple of us that enjoyed a spoon on the side either, which is what you kind of implied. 😁

I'm saying the person who was told that was given bad information, i.e. told an untruth by the staff who said it.

On 5/10/2023 at 10:16 AM, ColeThornton said:

Hang in there folks.  Together we can get through this.

On 5/10/2023 at 10:22 AM, TreyB said:

OMG, how will we survive this?

On 5/10/2023 at 11:15 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

The Horror! The Horror!

We all survived shrimp-gate a few years ago before Covid, so we can too survive the fact that the fries at Guy's are no longer fresh cut with skins on and they are now plain frozen ones. 

If you want the best fries on board even compared to the old ones from Guy's, get a batch right out of the hot oil from Shaq's.....you'll thank me later.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

I'm saying the person who was told that was given bad information, i.e. told an untruth by the staff who said it.

But sometimes there is truth in the bad information. I don't think that a large percentage of people like mushrooms to begin with and if a lot of the mushrooms put out on the toppings bar went to waste I can absolutely see them removing the option. Again, Carnival is privy to a ton of data that we aren't and they take all of this data into account when making a decision (or not, but then we don't know that for certain either),

On 5/11/2023 at 5:18 AM, sparks1093 said:

Sure, one can focus on the all of the changes, or one can focus on the overall experience and in the last three cruises (with one just recently completed) the overall experience has been good to great. Has everything been the exact same as it was when we first cruised on Carnival in 2012? Nope. But then what is the same anywhere as it was in 2012? One can focus on what was lost or one can focus on what one still has. Carnival is still the Fun Ships. 

The best part is Guy's didn't exist in 2012. I remember taking my first Carnival cruise in 2017. The burgers were very sad. In a buffet style, dry, and severe lack of toppings. Oh and the fries were definitely not fresh-cut.

Some people prefer the fresh cut, some prefer the frozen, some prefer shaq's, some don't eat any at all. While we all appreciate those who "educate us on the slippery slope," many of us simply don't care enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joebucks said:

many of us simply don't care enough.

Carnival's favorite customers are those that don't know what Carnival is capable of, or if they do know they don't care.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

Carnival's favorite customers are those that don't know what Carnival is capable of, or if they do know they don't care.

I guess that I am firmly in the second camp. None of the changes discussed in this or in other threads as adversely affected our cruise experience at all, so we don't worry about it. The things that are missing aren't what makes Carnival special to us.

• Like 2

The older fries were freshly cut and freshly made, I suppose, and the new ones are fried from a frozen state, and it would seem there are labor/logistical reasons for the switch (frying from frozen is a less-labor-intensive process for the ship's crew) and / or supply-chain issues (maybe consistently-sourced potatoes for freshly cut non-frozen fries are simply not available in the quantities Carnival requires).

I liked the previous version of the fries.  I like the current version of the fries.  Would I like Carnival to return to the other version?  Sure, why not?  That way they'd be different from the offerings at the Deli (which I think are now essentially the same, and I'm assuming the deli didn't offer the same fries as the "fresh cut" ones that Guy's used to provide), and I could choose what I might prefer if I deemed it important at the time (but probably not).

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

I believe I am aware of the changes, and have assessed the impact, positive or negative, to my cruising experience.  But I've only been cruising since 2017 (sort of, but I won't go into that), and since I am used to constant change in other industries, I never expected nor experienced a long stretch of glory days of Carnival cruising with Guy's original fries and tablecloths and whatnot.

My wife and I evaluate what the various lines have to offer, because we do have choices, but we always gravitate back to Carnival.  Recently I looked at what Princess has to offer, because they announced they are coming to my local port (Canaveral) next year, thinking that I'm a few years older, and maybe that cruise line would be the "next step".  Nope - a few minor things seem potentially better (apparently Princess has better shows, for example), but a lot looked less appealing - no Guys Burgers (with or without fresh cut fries), instead less-yummy Salty Dog burgers (from what I've read), no Blue Iguana Cantina, no fun-sounding Lido bars (the Princess website doesn't even describe what bars are on Lido or elsewhere and what they might offer), and just an overall more sedate experience.  Just not for me, at least on face-value.

So maybe I need to look less "up-market" and just sideways, at RCI or NCL.  So I did look a bit, again, and still didn't see anything to make me want to cruise with them instead of Carnival.

We're probably taking a couple of years break from cruising after this year to do some other longer-distance traveling we've been hankering for (we aren't able to cruise/travel as much as some of you!), and we'll re-evaluate again when we're ready to book again.

Anyway, TL;DR: we still prefer what Carnival has to offer, even with the various adjustments / reductions.

• Like 3

On 5/11/2023 at 8:27 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I prefer my fries a bit on the "limp" side - but, when in Rome, I guess I can manage others... with MUSTARD !!!

Tom

Recently off the Legend and really enjoyed the fries. But if I have to eat them with mustard....well...that would just ruin them. 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As long as they are cooked with some crispiness, I like them, whether they are fresh or frozen.  Not too mushy or undercooked.  I enjoyed the old version and I enjoy the latest version.

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

The best part is Guy's didn't exist in 2012. I remember taking my first Carnival cruise in 2017. The burgers were very sad. In a buffet style, dry, and severe lack of toppings. Oh and the fries were definitely not fresh-cut.

Hmm.  maybe the burgers were sad? but that's not what I remember prior to Guys.  I recall not only hamburgers, but you could also have chicken or steak sandwich.  And I miss the tortilla chips and cheese/chili. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Hmm.  maybe the burgers were sad? but that's not what I remember prior to Guys.  I recall not only hamburgers, but you could also have chicken or steak sandwich.  And I miss the tortilla chips and cheese/chili. 

The steak sandwiches were popular. The burger place also served an afternoon make your own ice cream sundae event one day on 7 day or more cruises. The hard ice cream was scooped to order with a choice of 3 flavors and toppings were self-serve with a wide variety of traditional and non-traditional toppings. Gummi Bears were a topping, who knew, but it was a fun event usually served at 3pm and was popular.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennas_mum said:

Recently off the Legend and really enjoyed the fries. But if I have to eat them with mustard....well...that would just ruin them. 🤣

I used to be a ketchup fiend.... Eggs, cottage cheese, everything. I quit that years ago and reflux issues basically vanished. I've grown quite fond of mustard!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I used to be a ketchup fiend.... Eggs, cottage cheese, everything. I quit that years ago and reflux issues basically vanished. I've grown quite fond of mustard!

In honor of my mother since we celebrate them Sunday she used to put mustard on pancakes. She got me to try it once. It was good, but not good enough that I've made a habit of it. Next time I get the chance I'll try fries with mustard.

19 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

My wife and I evaluate what the various lines have to offer, because we do have choices, but we always gravitate back to Carnival.  Recently I looked at what Princess has to offer, because they announced they are coming to my local port (Canaveral) next year, thinking that I'm a few years older, and maybe that cruise line would be the "next step".  Nope - a few minor things seem potentially better (apparently Princess has better shows, for example), but a lot looked less appealing - no Guys Burgers (with or without fresh cut fries), instead less-yummy Salty Dog burgers (from what I've read), no Blue Iguana Cantina, no fun-sounding Lido bars (the Princess website doesn't even describe what bars are on Lido or elsewhere and what they might offer), and just an overall more sedate experience.  Just not for me, at least on face-value.

When the news was hinted at a few weeks back - that another line (or 2??) was going to be making an announcement - I was so hoping that it would be Celebrity. Nope, it was Princess - and, to top that off, it was the Caribbean Princess.

The Caribbean Princess was the first/only Princess ship we've tried. We were not impressed... to the point that we'd never sail that ship again. Now, we'd probably consider their newest ships - but not an old rust bucket (sorry, I'm sure she has her fans). I wrote an extensive review on that experience in 2012, but can't find it now ! In summation, don't charge me extra for the mixer (a can of diet sprite) in a mixed drink just because it's not one of the mixers you have in your soda guns... and, don't make me pay for our sparkling water AT THE BEGINNING of the meal in the steakhouse, how about putting it all on our tab, and I'll sign when we're finished!

Tom

On 5/9/2023 at 3:30 PM, mz-s said:

Me too, I loved them. Heald said it's because people just didn't eat enough of them and they were throwing away too many. I miss them

Lol How about they just made smaller batches it could have been easy peasy 

28 minutes ago, ctkathchick said:

Lol How about they just made smaller batches it could have been easy peasy 

They just didn't want to serve them anymore is the truth obviously.

53 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

I just got off the magic this morning..I liked the fries with the seasoning.

I've had both versions and these were just fine..

Yeah they're fine, as long as they're fresh. I liked the old ones better but the new ones aren't inedible or anything. I think if memory serves it's the same fries as they serve in the Deli, just tossed in some seasoning.

12 hours ago, mz-s said:

They just didn't want to serve them anymore is the truth obviously.

There had to be a business reason behind it and the fact that so much went uneaten is as good a reason as any. Carnival doesn't do things just to make customers angry (although a small percentage of people will no doubt be angered by any change). 

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

There had to be a business reason behind it and the fact that so much went uneaten is as good a reason as any. Carnival doesn't do things just to make customers angry (although a small percentage of people will no doubt be angered by any change). 

for sure. Like someone else said though they could have just put out a smaller tray if they wanted to maybe. But either way it’s their prerogative. 

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I did try mustard with my fries the other day. Not bad at all. I prefer to eat them plain, every now and then with ketchup and now, now and then with mustard. 

my main issue with mustard is it stains my fingers

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I did try mustard with my fries the other day. Not bad at all. I prefer to eat them plain, every now and then with ketchup and now, now and then with mustard. 

It has the added benefit of having no sugar, unlike ketchup. I mean, you're getting enough carbs in the fries to begin with (and the cucumber sunrise, and the Rudi's key lime pie, and the chocolate martinis....lol).

I'm going to drop by Guy's sometime today or tomorrow (Celebration) and check out their fries. I will say, I really enjoyed mine from Big Chicken yesterday !

Tom

• Like 2