🛳️ Live (hopefully) from Crown Princess May 12 - 23

Coral

Following along and thoroughly enjoying your report! I am trying to convince my husband to do the 10 day on the Crown on August 15th or the 11 day on August 25th, he loved Glacier Bay so much the only other time we cruised Alaska in May of 2017 that he says these cruises don't interest him because they don't include Glacier Bay but I'm still trying to convince him. In May of 2017 we went to Shannon Falls after going to the Sea to Sky Gondola, after seeing your pictures from Whistler I wish we had gone there too, it looks beautiful!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 3 WI Cruisers said:

Following along and thoroughly enjoying your report! I am trying to convince my husband to do the 10 day on the Crown on August 15th or the 11 day on August 25th, he loved Glacier Bay so much the only other time we cruised Alaska in May of 2017 that he says these cruises don't interest him because they don't include Glacier Bay but I'm still trying to convince him. In May of 2017 we went to Shannon Falls after going to the Sea to Sky Gondola, after seeing your pictures from Whistler I wish we had gone there too, it looks beautiful!

I am a Glacier Bay person also. Usually when I go to Hubbard, we miss it or I don't get close. I think I have only gotten close a few times. I also wish this had Glacier Bay.

Though - more importantly - this schedule has a full day in Juneau, which allows me to go on AdventureBound Alaska (small boat ride all day to Tracy Arm) and this is my all time favorite excursion. Honestly - if I couldn't do this private excursion on this cruise, I would not have booked this cruise. It wasn't listed on their website (May wasn't listed) but I called and they are going. I love this excursion. If you haven't looked at this excursion - I would highly recommend it: https://www.adventureboundalaska.com. It is up close and personal!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Coral said:
16 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

I will be on the Crown May 23rd.

Can you find out how many Chef's Table experiences are held an your cruise and what nights they are held.

Pre-planning and all of that!

TIA

I will ask.

Wife and I will also be walking on shortly after you get off. Also hoping to maybe try the Chef's table.

• Like 1

I decided to go to Lost Lake today. The paths in Whistler are nicely marked, very safe, did not see one bit of litter anywhere. Most people had bikes (wise). There are nice hiking paths and then there are more difficult hiking paths for those who desire such. 

It wasn't a long hike but I wasn't that well prepared. It was in the 40's when I started and quickly warmed up to 50's and sunny. I didn't have sun screen, didn't bring water, took my sweatshirt off and definitely got some sun. My goal was to go to Lost Lake and then Green Lake (much larger and more beautiful I hear). I wish I had brought my AirPods. I actually had Verizon cell service for the entire path. I ended up only making it to Lost Lake and not Green Lake. I did about 11,000 steps from my hotel and then back.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I was thirsty and hungry when I made it back to Upper Whistler. I stopped at Merlin's Whistler for a burger. It was $24 with fries (so many places it is $25 with out any sides). I drank a pitcher of water and enjoyed the burger. Actually - it came to $18 as they had 25% off of their menu. https://www.merlinsbarwhistler.com It had a perfect view of Blackcomb Mountain. You can see it was nice and sunny today. I came back to the hotel and then took a shower.

IMG_1890.jpeg

IMG_1891.jpeg

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1889.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg

IMG_1894.jpeg

IMG_1895.jpeg

• Like 6

Yesterday I went to Brewhouse/High Mountain Brewing for lunch. I had the 4 cheese pizza with pesto (I had them put it on the side but it was good and I had it on my pizza) and a beer for $25. The pizzas were all wood fired and quite good. I got a soda instead of beer. You can see the Olympic rings in the background. This was in Lower Whistler.IMG_1824.thumb.jpeg.0f243a1707f2be184b39725275bba771.jpeg

https://mjg.ca/brewhouse/ 

image.thumb.jpeg.57b549ce6a6241ef75de75540b7722f5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.634480d6494552f36538e0432e06d235.jpeg

IMG_1826.jpeg

IMG_1829.jpeg

IMG_1827.jpeg

• Like 3

@Coral, beautiful hiking trails.  Were you nervous about the possibility of any bear encounters?  Or, were there plenty of people on the trails?

In looking at your food menu, my husband was so excited to find "Labatt Blue" as one of the beer options --- it is hard to find in Vancouover.

Also, assume that all your costs are in CAN$$? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

@Coral, beautiful hiking trails.  Were you nervous about the possibility of any bear encounters?  Or, were there plenty of people on the trails?

In looking at your food menu, my husband was so excited to find "Labatt Blue" as one of the beer options --- it is hard to find in Vancouover.

Also, assume that all your costs are in CAN$$? 

There are bear proof garbage cans everywhere, signs that say "fed bears are dead bears" warning people to not feed the bears. There were both bikers and walkers on the trails but not a lot. So yes - there was the chance of bears and I definitely was not prepared for them. Last time, I had my German Shepherd with me and asked the hotel about bear encounters. They said "don't worry - bears won't bother you with that fierce German Shepherd". My response was "this fierce German Shepherd will be in my arms if we run into bears". This trail sort of followed a golf course that I could see through the trees at times. I had heard that bears are sited on the golf course at times. I guess it sort of feels like Alaska. You know you can potentially see them but you are not that afraid of them as you expect they will stay in the distance.

Yes - all prices are Canadian. It still seems expensive. I purchased 3 bottles of my favorite toothpaste (no longer sold in the US) - and it was $7 a piece. It would be $3-$4 in the US. Though I have to remember I am in a tourist area. 

Everything is so clean here in Whistler. Everybody is so friendly. I have run into people from all over (Korea, Australia, Italy) on the trails this morning.

I wish I had a car to go into Squamish area (near where Shannon Falls was). Next time! It would be fun to do this gondola: https://www.seatoskygondola.com 

There is also Peak to Peak gondola in Whistler (between Blackcomb and Whistler mountain) but it is closed for 3 weeks and this happens to be during those 3 weeks:

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/summer-activities/peak-2-peak-360-experience/peak-2-peak-gondola.aspx 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Coral, was thinkin an maybe you could help me out. When you are on the cruise, an wanderin about the ship & the ports, if you find a sign or something that is unusual, or maybe I better clarify that, so nobody gets the wrong ider, please take a picture then post it, an where to find it, so that we can wander around an find it, so we can take a look at it. For instance, I think its in Vancouver, at the convention center, the teardrop, an also the steam clock. Inquiring minds could like to know, an before I forget, thanks.

So last minute pictures of Pan Pacific Whistler (while I was waiting for my shuttle - I found the pool area). By the way - this hotel probably has 80 rooms so pretty small. My second time staying here and they are great. One day I would like to stay at Fairmont or Four Seasons but I will always love this hotel. Service amazing. They usually have a breakfast buffet but it was under renovation during my trip. The location is amazing.

IMG_1903.jpeg

IMG_1904.jpeg

IMG_1906.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1908.jpeg

IMG_1913.jpeg

• Like 4

Today was travel day from Pan Pacific Whistler to Pan Pacific Vancouver. I reserved this room in December and could only get double bed room. The room is very nice but the tv is in an odd angle that I can't lay on the bed to view the tv.

The pier area at noon was crazy - it was difficult for my driver to drop me off. Ovation of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas was at the pier. Pictures of the room and the view. I booked the cheapest room.

image.jpeg

IMG_1922.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpeg

• Like 3

@Coral.  Whistler was beautiful and it appears the good weather has followed you to Vancouver. Keeping fingers crossed that it continues throughout your cruise.  Happy embarkation day tomorrow.  I am jealous!

I went to Capilano Bridge Park today. Will post pics later. I am very afraid of heights and I faced my fears. I did the suspension bridge and the Cliff Walk. Not the tree tops. 

https://www.capbridge.com

I also had a bus accident - that required a band-aid and Neosporin. For those that know me - I always do something stupid on a bus that requires band-aids.

It was 70 degrees. I dropped my jacket off in my room, put sun tan lotion on and hit the free shuttle. I will post pics later tonight. I just got back from eating dinner and I really need to shower from running around today. My CC group is getting together later today at a bar (several of us are staying at this hotel).

I ate dinner at the Keg. I last ate at lunch yesterday and have been eating from my granola bar stack. So quantity of food was required.:

image.thumb.jpeg.4224818f2f39f3fb0215e59963f15873.jpeg

IMG_2007.jpeg

IMG_2008.jpeg

IMG_2011.jpeg

• Like 4