General Carnival Cruising Questions

OCA REP

3 hours ago, Wennfred said:

And yes, it’s written in English on Carnival’s website. The copy issued by the Govt agency will arrive with a seal.

Birth Certificate Information 

The following are acceptable: 

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics 
  •  
  • A clear, legible copy (photocopy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. 

• This explains the seal:

One of the main things that will help you determine if your certified birth certificate is official is a government seal. Look for the seal and if you can’t find one it means you have an informational copy only. Requesting an certified copy of your birth certificate won’t be difficult and you don’t even have to go to your vital records office, you can order a birth certificate online. All copies must be obtained directly from the agency that issued the original document (hence the seal), so a photocopy is not a valid copy.

https://www.usbirthcertificates.com/articles/how-to-determine-birth-certificate-official/amp

but don’t listen to me, listen to these other people that don’t have a freaking clue.

The funny thing is you are resorting to ad hominem attacks when the information you pasted here clearly shows a photocopy of a birth certificate is perfectly acceptable. You should be ashamed of your behavior.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

Why is it ok to preorder plastic water bottles but not eco -friendly to carry them onboard? Just asking.

We can't carry them onboard anymore because people were emptying out the bottles and filling them with vodka or other clear liquor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/10/2023 at 4:23 PM, OCA REP said:

Hello, everyone!

I have a co-worker that will be cruising on the Carnival Elation out of Jacksonville, FL this June with her daughter and a number of other recent high school graduates and their parents.  It has been about 25 years since we cruised Carnival, but I am a member of Cruise Critic and told her I would post her questions and provide her feedback... so thanks in advance!

• Are you allowed to take a Yeti-style stainless cup to use onboard?  If so, can you use this cup to refill with ice and water onboard?  YES, must be empty though.

• Will there be a hair dryer in each stateroom... or must she take one with her from home? YES, but it's not worth a crap, so she should bring her own.

• Is the cruise terminal in Jacksonville the best place to park when driving to join the ship? Yes.  Do not park across the street.  While many have reported not having an issue, it is not the safest place to park.  There have been multiple issues, and the savings isn't worth it.  I am local and hear more stories than most.

• If her daughter's passport does not arrive in time, will they accept a certified birth certificate to board the ship? Yes.  I saw another response that said DL was okay, but a birth certificate is a MUST, in addition to a photo ID for all passengers over the age of 15 (I think, could be over 16).  So, either 1) passport, or 2) other gov't/state issued photo ID PLUS birth certificate

• Does anyone know if there is somewhere relatively close to the Jacksonville Cruise Port where water can be purchased in cans or cartons?  She is not 100% sure what type of water containers Carnival allows you to bring onboard at embarkation... and the maximum quantity.
  • As far as I know, you cannot bring on bottles/cartons of water.  You can pre-order waters to your cabin before boarding for around $10 for a 12 pack.  Bottled water is $1.50 on board for a standard 16.9 oz bottle.  

I inserted comments above - figured it would be easier for you to follow; wasn't try to lose you with the bold and purple font.  I cruise on Elation in June too!  When are they sailing?

Birth certificates without a seal is called a Informational Birth Certificate and these are not an official document.

Only Birth Certificates with a seal are official and that “copy” come from a government agency.

You are mis-leading by saying that the website says a “Copy”  and the other person said a copy from your personal printer., nope, it has to be a “Copy” from an official government agency and those come with a seal.

This is nothing new and has been posted for many years way before you entered cruising or this website. I have never posted mis-information on here so you need to check your behavior.

When I started cruise way back in the 80’s the cruise rep would first look for the seal and then feel for that seal on that Birth Certificate.

Have the correct documents because there’s going to be that one cruise terminal and Rep that will follow the rules.

This is all I will say. 

13 minutes ago, Wennfred said:

Birth certificates without a seal is called a Informational Birth Certificate and these are not an official document.

Only Birth Certificates with a seal are official and that “copy” come from a government agency.

You are mis-leading by saying that the website says a “Copy”  and the other person said a copy from your personal printer., nope, it has to be a “Copy” from an official government agency and those come with a seal.

This is nothing new and has been posted for many years way before you entered cruising or this website. I have never posted mis-information on here so you need to check your behavior.

When I started cruise way back in the 80’s the cruise rep would first look for the seal and then feel for that seal on that Birth Certificate.

Have the correct documents because there’s going to be that one cruise terminal and Rep that will follow the rules.

This is all I will say. 

You are wrong with regards to a closed-loop Carnival cruise. I mean there's no other way to put it. We're not in 1980 anymore.

You absolutely can use a photocopy of your birth certificate, even if you snapped a photo with your phone and printed it out on your printer at home. 100% acceptable. Even the text you copied from Carnival's site in post #23 of this thread said so.

You may not believe that but there's nothing I can do about that.

Anyway, we've discussed birth certificates to death so hopefully somebody has something else to talk about in this thread.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 3

If I were relying on birth certificates to cruise I would buy new ones from the official agency of my state's birth but not all people do this. I have noticed someone pulling an old birth certificate in pieces from an envelope- he got on the ship. Once at a hotel the night before a cruise some friends had to have family members fax copies of their birth certificates- they got on the ship. I witnessed others downloading copies to personnel at the port to be printed- they got on the ship.

Not all agencies use raised seals. In my state notaries no longer use a raised seal device, they just have ink stamps.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 6:52 PM, wemjam said:

If her daughter's passport does not arrive in time, will they accept a certified birth certificate to board the ship?  Drivers License and Photo ID will work.

This is false information.  For anyone reading this, please bring a passport, passport card or a certified copy of a birth certificate.   I'll leave the definitions of "certified" and "copy" to older, wiser heads to debate.  🙂  

On 5/12/2023 at 10:42 AM, shiner6 said:

Why is it ok to preorder plastic water bottles but not eco -friendly to carry them onboard? Just asking.

As others said, it was too easy for scofflaws to empty plastic bottles and refill them with Adult Beverages.  Now the hooligans have to make do with rum-runners.  😄  

However, the preordered plastic bottles ARE recycled onboard; I've seen the compressed "bales" of plastic and crushed soda cans on Deck 0 "I-95" with my own two Mark 1 Eyeballs.  🙂  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pellaz said:

This is false information.  For anyone reading this, please bring a passport, passport card or a certified copy of a birth certificate.   I'll leave the definitions of "certified" and "copy" to older, wiser heads to debate.  🙂  

As others said, it was too easy for scofflaws to empty plastic bottles and refill them with Adult Beverages.  Now the hooligans have to make do with rum-runners.  😄  

However, the preordered plastic bottles ARE recycled onboard; I've seen the compressed "bales" of plastic and crushed soda cans on Deck 0 "I-95" with my own two Mark 1 Eyeballs.  🙂  

Thank you for the correction. It was a brain fart.  I said Drivers License and Photo Id (which are the same thing)  I mean Drivers Licenses and Birth Certificate.  I mentally walked in the basement as I was typing, happens when you get old.

• Haha 1

People really need to get information as to the documents they need to bring straight from the horse's mouth. People mean well but it's far too easy for us to get things mixed up. The information as to the documents that are acceptable to cruise are spelled out in plain english on Carnival's website. And those pages are updated in the event the requirements change, whereas posts here are not.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mz-s said:

People really need to get information as to the documents they need to bring straight from the horse's mouth. People mean well but it's far too easy for us to get things mixed up. The information as to the documents that are acceptable to cruise are spelled out in plain english on Carnival's website. And those pages are updated in the event the requirements change, whereas posts here are not.

Let me add one important piece to this that some folks might need to be aware of. 

Photocopies of CRBAs don't cut it.  We've just researched this extensively for my wife for a trip that's likely to occur during our 13 week Passport renewal process. (Note that the only mention of photocopies on Carnival.com is strictly associated with BCs. That isn't a coincidence.) 

Just this past week she sent in her paperwork to get an update 'original' CRBA from the govt.  No desire to carry a 60+ year old piece of paper.  Bottom line: Passports are your friend!

• Like 1

• Are you allowed to take a Yeti-style stainless cup to use onboard?  If so, can you use this cup to refill with ice and water onboard?  Yes, I always bring a Yeti cup. Yes, you can fill with water or any free beverage on board

• Will there be a hair dryer in each stateroom... or must she take one with her from home?
  • Yes there is a hair dryer in each cabin. Some say it is not strong enough, but it is fine for me

• Is the cruise terminal in Jacksonville the best place to park when driving to join the ship?
  • Park right a t he terminal and walk right up to the ship. 

• If her daughter's passport does not arrive in time, will they accept a certified birth certificate to board the ship? 
  • If you are going just to Bahamas and Private Island. the BC should be fine

• Does anyone know if there is somewhere relatively close to the Jacksonville Cruise Port where water can be purchased in cans or cartons?  She is not 100% sure what type of water containers Carnival allows you to bring onboard at embarkation... and the maximum quantity. There are stores on the interstate exit you will take to go to the port, and you can bring on a 12 pack of cans or cartons per person, but you really won't need to go to the hassle of bringing on water, if you have your Yeti.  Another option is to preorder bottled water from the Fun Shops to be delivered to your cabin.

• Like 1