Nautilus Club for ages 6-17

ajouni

In Explora’s FB posting they announced Nautilus Club for children onboard.  I wasn’t aware that this cruise line was family friendly or promoting itself as a family (multi generational) cruise line.  I was under the impression the focus was on adult luxury travelers.  This is an unpleasant surprise.  We have 2 very expensive, long cruises booked that we will reconsider.  Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I think this has always been part of their plan -- the videos emphasize "family friendly," the deck plans on line show a childrens' area and one of the pools is labeled "adults only" on the deck plans.  Having said this, the absence of gimmicks like water slides would indicate that there won't be a lot of families with small tykes showing up.

It always was going to have children but it’s not an issue as some of the pools and terraces on the website are labelled as adults only 

I think the price of the cruise will limit the number who bring children. We were on MSC Yacht Club in 2021 with shared facilities in the Yacht Club with children and it was absolutely no issue. They were all impeccably behaved 

17 minutes ago, daleandrews said:

I think this has always been part of their plan -- the videos emphasize "family friendly," the deck plans on line show a childrens' area and one of the pools is labeled "adults only" on the deck plans.  Having said this, the absence of gimmicks like water slides would indicate that there won't be a lot of families with small tykes showing up.

11 minutes ago, uktog said:

It always was going to have children but it’s not an issue as some of the pools and terraces on the website are labelled as adults only 

I think the price of the cruise will limit the number who bring children. We were on MSC Yacht Club in 2021 with shared facilities in the Yacht Club with children and it was absolutely no issue. They were all impeccably behaved 

I totally missed this. I guess I never took a good look at the deck plan.  I have immense respect for your opinion and appreciate your comments.  

They have just sent out an email and one of the things they make a big play about is the Adults only area including the Helios Bar (see below) so they are very well aware that some people want to be child free.  They also only seem to allow one child with two parents in the main suites ( Maximum capacity: 2 adults and 1 child under 18 years old it states) so to bring a larger family it is not until the Grand Penthouse that you can have 2 children under 18 in it.

A panoramic adults-only pool and lounge experience

Inspired by the Ancient Greek god of the sun, and also literally meaning “sun” in Greek, this adults-only area is indeed the sunniest venue onboard, panoramically facing forward on deck 12. Enjoy lying by the pool or lounging throughout the day as you watch the ship sail through the sea. Refreshing towels and sunscreen are offered to guests throughout the day.

Outdoor seating: 100 (Includes sunbeds, lounge chairs and bar seating)
Open all day

Makes me think I might cancel. I don’t want to be on a child friendly ship. We only sail luxury lines with no children’s programs.  Our preference. Others enjoy children on a ship. I had no idea this was part of the plan. 

rethinking my booking

personally I think a true luxury line with a children’s program is a contradiction in terms. 

• Like 2

Old Crystal had a childrens program and a kids facility.   During my cruises on Crystal, I found that children did not cause any disruption.  My guess is the same applies here.  Plus, if you go on longer cruises, the number of children are going to substantially decrease.   I also think Regent has a kids program as well at select times of the year.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, parallax said:

Old Crystal had a childrens program and a kids facility.   During my cruises on Crystal, I found that children did not cause any disruption.  My guess is the same applies here.  Plus, if you go on longer cruises, the number of children are going to substantially decrease.   I also think Regent has a kids program as well at select times of the year.  

No kids program on old crystal on any cruise I was on. Perhaps on some Alaska cruises. I’ve sailed regent. No kids program. Again maybe Alaska. I would never have booked a line with a kids program 

it’s not what we want. My ta the is on one of the first explora cruises. He’s going to report back. I have plenty of time to switch to a different cruise on a different line 

• Like 1

rec'd this in an email yesterday.... 
Explora Journeys Logo
Experience joy for all the family
Enjoy an Escape with the Whole Family

Our promise of offering a ‘home away from home’ extends to the whole family. We embrace all generations and believe that there are few things more precious than sharing quality time with loved ones.

To ensure the perfect blend of comfort and peace of mind, we have carefully designed connecting suites that cater to multi-generational groups. Our younger guests can enjoy the exciting Nautilus Club on board; a space dedicated to children and teens. And for a true sense of authentic exploration, we have a series of Destination Experiences on shore, tailored to the entire family.

Bring joy to the entire family onboard EXPLORA I, as an array of activities, perks, and homely gestures harmoniously come together to orchestrate the ideal ocean voyage for every age group.
EXPLORE MORE

Tailored to All Ages
LUXURIOUS CONNECTING HOMES AT SEA

LUXURIOUS
CONNECTING HOMES AT SEA

EXPLORA I and EXPLORA II offer 78 multi-generation-friendly connected suites across the categories of Ocean Suites, Ocean Penthouses and Ocean Residences. Diverse suite combinations are available to accommodate families and groups of various sizes and make the journey even more comfortable and effortless.

Discover more >

FAMILY FRIENDLY DESTINATION EXPERIECNES

FAMILY-FRIENDLY
DESTINATION EXPERIENCES

A series of Destination Experiences have been curated to be enjoyed by the whole family, ensuring that you create the most unforgettable moments together. Our family-focussed Destination Experiences are accessible, educational and fun for everyone.

Find out more >

DISCOVER NAUTILUS CLUB

DISCOVER NAUTILUS CLUB

The Nautilus Club is a dedicated space for children and teens. With the latest video games, VR consoles, foosball, pool tables, board games, and a digital library, there's plenty to keep them entertained. Certified hosts oversee their safety and offer sports sessions, art activities, and more.

Explore more >

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimage.e.explorajo

ADULTS-ONLY ESCAPES

For a moment of stillness and serenity, guests can enjoy the Helios Pool & Bar on deck 12, a panoramic area at the forward part of the ship exclusively reserved for adults. Most of the other public spaces, restaurants, bars, lounges and pools on EXPLORA I and EXPLORA II welcome families and children.

Read more >

Experience Joy for All the Family
DISCOVER NAUTILUS CLUB

Quebecois Fjords, Canadian Culture and New Amsterdam

Québec City to New York City
3 October – 13 October 2023, EXPLORA I

From cultural Quebec to cutting-edge New York, crammed with New England exploring in between, this journey packs hypnotic nature, peaceful adventure, and bountiful tastings of local gastronomic delights.

Discover more >

Start your Journey with us

To immerse yourself further in
Explora Journeys, browse through the pages of our inspirational 
Story Collection or visit explorajourneys.com

OUR STORY COLLECTION

FOR MORE INFORMATION AND A SEAMLESS, EFFICIENT BOOKING EXPERIENCE, PLEASE CHOOSE FROM THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS:
Book your
dream journey
through your preferred
travel advisor
They will guide you through booking
a journey with us.
Our Ambassadors are available via email
or telephone.
Discover our story,
journeys, 
and the experiences onboard and ashore.

On Crystal, the programs existed you were just not aware of them.  We took my daughter on two Crystal cruises (10 and 12) and she enjoyed the programs immensely both times.  The facilities they had were small but the activities managed by the counselors were great.  At most they were dealing with 15-20 kids.  

Most if not all luxury lines allow children to sail.  It seems to me having a program can be a benefit.  It provides a place for children to engage.  The reality is that there are not going to be teams of children running around a luxury cruise ship.  Cost, capacity restrictions and cruise lengths do not make it viable for most families.  

We are doing a December cruise on Explora and our 16 year old will be joining us.  Not sure if she will participate in any kids activities but she will definitely want to participate in trivia.  She loves trivia and has started to crush me when we watch Jeopardy together.  If you see us on the sailing, we will be the ones playing trivia pursuit. 

• Like 2

Teenagers are not a concern

they can be taught proper behavior

I was not referring to teens

toddlers and infants are different

often parents cannot or will not control them

behavior that I find annoying or a nuisance they think is cute

i don’t want to be on vacation with small children

that’s my choice

i know how to avoid it

if that means cancelling my explora cruise I will not shed a tear

i sail regularly on the other luxury lines. Currently on seabourn. One small child. That’s plenty. 

Edited by bitob
  • Like 3

Re Crystal, just an FYI:  the childrens' facility has always been shown on the ship diagrams of Symphony and Serenityand and those facilities are also shown in a lot of the on-line ship tour videos.  We never got to cruise on Crystal -- 3 booked cruises but then they went under -- but I suspect that the reason no one may have noticed kids on board is just a testament to the effectiveness of the program coupled with the fact that at luxury cruise prices there simply are not going to be a lot of families travelling with kids.

• Like 2

There was never an organized kids program when I was on crystal. I imagine they did something for Alaska and holiday sailings. I recall a small play area somewhere that was always empty. Unlike explora, crystal never encouraged children as a general rule. Nor does regent seabourn or silversea 

this will be a deterrent to many luxury cruisers. Most, not all, choose luxury lines not just for the service and amenities, but also to avoid sailing with small children 

choice is good

I was very pleased to find out that now that I’m 60, I’m eligible to sign up for Explora’s Codger Club (sm)

“This special area will entertain the most demanding older gents and will maintain them in a specially created  low-grade alcoholic stupor while allowing them to regale fellow guests about 1) their exploits on previous cruises 2) their (former) careers and 3) their feelings on the recommended dress code”

I’m in!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I was very pleased to find out that now that I’m 60, I’m eligible to sign up for Explora’s Codger Club (sm)

“This special area will entertain the most demanding older gents and will maintain them in a specially created  low-grade alcoholic stupor while allowing them to regale fellow guests about 1) their exploits on previous cruises 2) their (former) careers and 3) their feelings on the recommended dress code”

I’m in!

And, thanks to senior hearing loss, we won't be bothered by the other old codgers sharing the space with us!  Just keep the drinks flowing...  🤣

7 hours ago, bitob said:

Currently on seabourn. One small child. That’s plenty.

Just disembarked from Seabourn; one obnoxious 5/6 year old that screamed all the time. It doesn't take many to spoil a cruise. 

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Well then – the only cruise line for you is Viking.  And I just know you're going to love it!!!

Never. Not luxury. 

i do fine on regent silversea and seabourn 

a small child here and there

easy to avoid lol