Best sail away to enjoy the Ultimate Balcony Dinner?

canadarocks

We'll be onboard the Emerald for a full transit Panama Canal Cruise from LA to Fort Lauderdale next year, followed by a 14 day true Circle Caribbean (not a B2B). I've booked us a port side Caribe deck deluxe balcony. I've already reserved the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast for our Panama Canal day. Now we're looking forward to a UBD at some point. My question.... which would be the best port scenically to enjoy such a great dinner?

My choices (based on sail away times) are Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Puntarenas, Cartagena, Guadaloupe, St Lucia, St Vincent, and Trinidad. Seven of these are new ports for us and the eighth, St Lucia, I know is lovely at sail away.

I'd appreciate any comments about which would be the nicest, thanks! 

Edited by canadarocks

Things to consider:

Position of sun. Will it be shining in your face?  Sunset?

I know you mentioned sail away, but about a late port departure?

A sea day may mean missing formal night. 

A long day of excursions?

Rain, weather, and/or bugs?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, canadarocks said:

We'll be onboard the Emerald for a full transit Panama Canal Cruise from LA to Fort Lauderdale next year, followed by a 14 day true Circle Caribbean (not a B2B). I've booked us a port side Caribe deck deluxe balcony. I've already reserved the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast for our Panama Canal day. Now we're looking forward to a UBD at some point. My question.... which would be the best port scenically to enjoy such a great dinner?

My choices (based on sail away times) are Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Puntarenas, Cartagena, Guadaloupe, St Lucia, St Vincent, and Trinidad. Seven of these are new ports for us and the eighth, St Lucia, I know is lovely at sail away.

I'd appreciate any comments about which would be the nicest, thanks! 

We had a lovely UBD on late evening departure from Curacao on a Circle Carribean this March. Since ship didn't leave till after 9pm, we were able to enjoy dinner without fear of windy conditions. 

Hope that might be an option for you. 

8 hours ago, Kay S said:

Cartagena is lovely.

Thank you!

8 hours ago, mevs904 said:

We love sail away in San Juan but it might not be on your itinerary.

I agree, but not on our itineraries this time.

6 hours ago, eqj60 said:

We had a lovely UBD on late evening departure from Curacao on a Circle Carribean this March. Since ship didn't leave till after 9pm, we were able to enjoy dinner without fear of windy conditions. 

Hope that might be an option for you. 

We do have a 10pm sail away in Curaçao but we plan to be ashore that night. 

How early did you book the breakfast for, and how long does it take?  Unless you have booked it for really early, you will miss much of the approach and transit of the Cocoli Locks by sitting on your balcony, port side does not have the views until you exit through the Agua Clara Locks.  but there is more to it than that.  Seeing the lock gates open and close, the ship rising in the locks.  You want to be moving around the ship.  
    You will probably be out of the last locks and going under the Atlantic Bridge by 1600 so maybe it might be a good day for the UBD.  Do the breakfast another day.  Or switch to a starboard cabin…

these views are of Emerald P. And her transit April 4:

IMG_1706.jpeg

IMG_1707.jpeg

IMG_1708.jpeg

IMG_1710.jpeg

IMG_1711.png

IMG_1712.jpeg

IMG_1713.jpeg

IMG_1714.jpeg

IMG_1715.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Just some comments.

There isn't much to see in Trinidad. Have been there a few times. It isn't a city where you can just leave the ship and walk around. The downtown area is more like a business district. You probably will be back on board early.

If you have not been through the canal here is some information. You approach the canal lock entrance very early in the morning. The best views of the lock transit and operation is from the upper open decks. There you can walk around and get 360 degree views If you remain on your balcony you will only see one side and you will have to walk to the railing to get those views. Around 9am or so you will be through the Pacific locks and will enter the Gaillard cut. I would plan on the meal after you pass through the Pacific locks. If you have been through the canal then you know the routine.

You did not mention Curacao. Sailing there is 1at 0pm. If you do not have a land based evening activity planned then there will be plenty of time for a nice balcony dinner in calm waters with no movement. The ship docks outside the inner harbor. The bow is normally facing toward the inner harbor entrance. Port side should provide land views. 

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Things to consider:

Position of sun. Will it be shining in your face?  Sunset?

I know you mentioned sail away, but about a late port departure?

A sea day may mean missing formal night. 

A long day of excursions?

Rain, weather, and/or bugs?

Had rain on our Hawaii trip. So it became an indoor dinner. The double rainbow was great, but it never stopped raining. Food was outstanding. Overall food in dining room was pretty poor.For those of us in suites & Club Class this is the type of food that should be available nightly.(ultimate Balcony quality)most nights we ordered off the Crown Grill menu. Being offered "Spaghetti & Meatballs" as the night "special" is pretty lame.