Additional pre-booking?

MrsPeel55

Hi guys,

Once again, thank you for the many questions answered, our trip is looking much better after some of your tips and threads we are reading in general

I have a few more questions that could make our trip even better.

Just in case it helps, we are going QV West Med beginning of September.

First of all not additional but not clear to me: is there a need to pre-book the Afternoon Tea at Queens Room? or just turning up within the times stated will get us a table?

On the Additional, we were gonna leave it to book once on board, on the day we feel like going for it, rather than have a day by day firmly structured holiday,  but judging by the speed some of the port tours are being sold out and some stuff I read about the restaurants, I'm wondering if we run the risk of not getting a booking if we wait?

It is already possible to pre-book for the Spa:  again, we thought to leave it for when we feel like it  (or in my case probably the word maybe need!) but something I read makes me think this maybe a thing people pre book a lot? would we run the risk of not getting treatments like massages if we don't pre-book?

We want to go to Verandah, maybe other specialities restaurants

though the booking system isn't up yet , says coming soon...

has any of you had trouble to get a table if booking on the day, on board?

also, as we are here... how does the additional cost of Verandah works? I got a magnifying glass out to read the very small print in the bottom of the menu that says:

"Should you wish to order an additional dish, a supplement charge of $7.50 will apply to appetisers and desserts and $12.50 will apply to main courses. "

I see there are additional prices under some of the dishes (which we perfectly understand why!) so,

is there a set price for a whatever number of courses pp (with the additional cost when choosing the dishes that have a $ in the menu under it's name, like the Wagyu beef (which my daughter jumped on delight seeing it listed) or prawns or lobster-  and then if we want another dish on top of whatever number of dishes one can have for said price, then $7.50  and $12.50  additional applies?

I take it it has to be as otherwise there would be prices for each dish?

does anyone have an idea of the price? 

I'm not terribly worried about prices on board but we have another 2 holidays booked for this year so would love to have a better idea of how much to allocate on each  🙂

Thanks in advance for any info!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

Hi guys,

Once again, thank you for the many questions answered, our trip is looking much better after some of your tips and threads we are reading in general

First of all not additional but not clear to me: is there a need to pre-book the Afternoon Tea at Queens Room? or just turning up within the times stated will get us a table?

On the Additional, we were gonna leave it to book once on board, on the day we feel like going for it, rather than have a day by day firmly structured holiday,  but judging by the speed some of the port tours are being sold out and some stuff I read about the restaurants, I'm wondering if we run the risk of not getting a booking if we wait?

It is already possible to pre-book for the Spa:  again, we thought to leave it for when we feel like it  (or in my case probably the word maybe need!) but something I read makes me think this maybe a thing people pre book a lot? would we run the risk of not getting treatments like massages if we don't pre-book?

also, as we are here... how does the additional cost of Verandah works? I got a magnifying glass out to read the very small print in the bottom of the menu that says:

"Should you wish to order an additional dish, a supplement charge of $7.50 will apply to appetisers and desserts and $12.50 will apply to main courses. "

I see there are additional prices under some of the dishes (which we perfectly understand why!) so,

is there a set price for a whatever number of courses pp (with the additional cost when choosing the dishes that have a $ in the menu under it's name, like the Wagyu beef (which my daughter jumped on delight seeing it listed) or prawns or lobster-  and then if we want another dish on top of whatever number of dishes one can have for said price, then $7.50  and $12.50  additional applies?

I'm not terribly worried about prices on board but we have another 2 holidays booked for this year so would love to have a better idea of how much to allocate on each  🙂

The afternoon tea can't be booked ahead as far as I know.  Just go along as it gets towards the start time on any one day and join a queue if there is one.

The excursions are available to book on MyCunard a few months ahead of departure - some have limited numbers on them and if popular they can get sold out and if so all you can do is go on a wait list.  You can also book once you get aboard at the desk near the reception desk that deals primarily with excursions.

The bookings for the Verandah don't go live on MyCunard until a few weeks before departure. So the status will remain 'coming soon' until that point in time. There is a cover charge for that, and some dishes may have an additional charge. You can have lunch on sea days, and dinner in the evenings there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

The afternoon tea can't be booked ahead as far as I know.  Just go along as it gets towards the start time on any one day and join a queue if there is one.

The excursions are available to book on MyCunard a few months ahead of departure - some have limited numbers on them and if popular they can get sold out and if so all you can do is go on a wait list.  You can also book once you get aboard at the desk near the reception desk that deals primarily with excursions.

The bookings for the Verandah don't go live on MyCunard until a few weeks before departure. So the status will remain 'coming soon' until that point in time. There is a cover charge for that, and some dishes may have an additional charge. You can have lunch on sea days, and dinner in the evenings there.

Irritatingly, on MyCunard for our cruise, less than a fortnight away, both the excursion and dining page are down for maintenance. The dining page disappeared simultaneously with an email arriving saying I could now book, not that I want to, but I would like to know what there is.

• Like 1

The cover charge for Steakhouse at the Verandah is $25 per person for lunch and $45 per person for dinner if booked in advance. If you wait to book on board, the charge becomes $30 per person for lunch and $50 per person for dinner.

That entitles you to one item from each course except for those items (such as the Wagyu beef) which incur an additional charge. If you wish to order multiple items for any given course, the $7.50/$12.50 additional charge would apply for each additional item per course.

Pre-booking opens 14 days prior to your departure date. You should have no difficulty finding availability if you wait to book on board. But as indicated, Cunard now offers the incentive of a $5 per person discount if you book Steakhouse at the Verandah in advance.

• Like 4

@exlondoner ohhh that is a bummer!   hope they sort that very very soon!!! 

My daughter insists that I'm getting too excited. much in advance, and we have a land holiday before we cruise, thing is,  we are very experienced in land, Wirth cruising, especially as it is my 65th birthday ....I want to have it all under control (or as much as possible) for a great memory 🙂

• Like 1

@bluemarble Thanks!!!!!!! Those are great prices! fabulous!

as I mentioned above, my daughter thinks I should leave all this excitement until much nearer the trip, but I can't help it....we started slowing down being out as my mobility was decreasing and then pandemic meant 2 years of very little outings....  

By the way, I just found the menu of the Commodore.... I was gonna make this trip a non alcoholic one, but after reading the Commodore.... I don't think I can give it a total miss!!! Love what they have done!!!

And now I am almost convinced totally that we should do a trip on QM2 , we have history (not traveling- more un-directly- long story) with the Queen Mary that is in California, I think that was how we find out about Cunard, something about the QM2.... I think it was a musical theatre cruise? anyway, thanks again!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The cover charge for Steakhouse at the Verandah is $25 per person for lunch and $45 per person for dinner if booked in advance. If you wait to book on board, the charge becomes $30 per person for lunch and $50 per person for dinner.

That entitles you to one item from each course except for those items (such as the Wagyu beef) which incur an additional charge. If you wish to order multiple items for any given course, the $7.50/$12.50 additional charge would apply for each additional item per course.

Pre-booking opens 14 days prior to your departure date. You should have no difficulty finding availability if you wait to book on board. But as indicated, Cunard now offers the incentive of a $5 per person discount if you book Steakhouse at the Verandah in advance.

Pre-booking hasn't opened fourteen days prior to departure date for my cruise. It is being maintained. Grrr.

@MrsPeel55 - There is no charge for any additional ‘Sides’. Select as many one wishes.

Take the Sea Platter and Wagyu - But do reduce the consumption of the pre starter bread/olive oil, as one will find it quite filling.

The Wine list is good, with a nice selection of specialty cocktails to suit all palates.  The Virgin Cocktails are splendid, looking identical to the alcoholic ones.

As this is one’s first time in the Verandah, be prepared to be surprised when asked select one’s ‘knife’ from the box presented.

The steaks are cooked on a grill, but if wished, one can ask for a steak to be pan fried and butter basted.

Enjoy…

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Virgin
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

@MrsPeel55 - There is no charge for any additional ‘Sides’. Select as many one wishes.

Take the Sea Platter and Wagyu - But do reduce the consumption of the pre starter bread/olive oil, as one will find it quite filling.

The Wine list is good, with a nice selection of specialty cocktails to suit all palates.

As this is one’s first time in the Verandah, be prepared to be surprised when asked select one’s ‘knife’ from the box presented.

The steaks ask are cooked on a grill, but if wish one can ask for a steak to be pan fried and butter basted.

Enjoy…

ohhhh I will!!!!!!!!! can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ❤️ 

so glad for you guys here!!!!! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

I’m a shameless planner… love planning for my trips.

Never too early- enjoy planning!!!

I have become more inclined to planning since my mobility started to fail....  with all these amazing places in the QV that we have to explore.... I want to have all the info so we can make the best of that week...   ❤️

and, once again, I'm so glad I found these boards, everyone is super helpful and knowledgeable!!!!!

• Like 3

Afternoon Tea may be served in the Britannia Restaurant on the QV and QE rather than the Queen Room. Or in both. The Daily Programme will tell you, I think it depends on the numbers on board, but I don't actually know. QM2 tends to be both. 

On the Medi cruise they should probably offer La Piazza as well as Verandah (not to be confused with the nearby Lido Pizzeria section). That's evening meal only and a US$25 cover charge. The "extras" item cost - they won't necessarily charge for them, indeed there is a strange Cunard thing where if you say (e.g.) "no mushrooms please" the wait staff will offer something else instead, when the portion sizes are quite good enough anyway.

• Like 2

@Pushpit thanks! will we find the Daily Programme in the cabin or online or do we need to request?

I reckon the prices are good... I know the P&O we did was over 10 years ago but still, when comparing taking into account the conversion to what it would cost today.... their prices were not worth the food we were served, also know the menus online may not reflect exactly what would be when we travel, but gives us an idea that is pretty much the type of cruising we were looking for... 🙂

• Like 1

The Daily Programme will be in your stateroom on arrival, and then the following days it will be popped into the letter holder outside your stateroom either late at night or in the early hours. And it is also on the My Voyage App. So in other words you can't see it in advance of travel. 

There are threads with copies of the Daily Programmes, elsewhere on CC, also by Googling Daily Programme Cunard.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

Hi guys,

Indication of Spa prices…..

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/life-on-board/spa/4666_13_OSW-CUN_Mareel_Spa_Collateral_Price List_AW2-Sept2021.pdf

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I have some screenshots from the app showing Daily Programmes from Queen Victoria last year.

And there is another page in the Daily Programme with the list of restaurant venues, their location and opening hours. One entry covers Afternoon Tea and its locations for that day.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

And there is another page in the Daily Programme with the list of restaurant venues, their location and opening hours. One entry covers Afternoon Tea and its locations for that day.

I've never seen afternoon tea in the Britannia restaurant, when did you see it offered?

Screenshot_20221004-105223~4.png

• Like 2

oh wOw!!!!! so much to do, so amazing!!!! 

Thanks so so much!!!!! @exlondoner @Pushpit @Host Hattie

@PORT ROYAL thanks! I knew the prices for the Mareel, that I can book now if I wish, we may book for after the shore days

I saw something somewhere that gave me the impression if one wants to use the sauna or jacuzzis has to book a Spa day? does it have a price?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

I've never seen afternoon tea in the Britannia restaurant, when did you see it offered?

A few weeks back and twice end of  last year. And pre Pandemic it happened on shorter / busy cruises on sea days in particular, when clearly the Queen's Room isn't going to cope. Here is the recent example.

image.thumb.jpeg.d91b8f47e50e8c0a3335478934cd4116.jpeg

• Like 2