Koningsdam new structure?

Sunchaser46

My wife and I were walking around Canada Place in Vancouver yesterday and the  Koningsdam was in port. We noticed what appeared to be a new type of covered structure on the upper back deck that wasn’t there when we cruised on the ship back in December, 2022. Does anyone know what this is?

10 hours ago, Sunchaser46 said:

My wife and I were walking around Canada Place in Vancouver yesterday and the  Koningsdam was in port. We noticed what appeared to be a new type of covered structure on the upper back deck that wasn’t there when we cruised on the ship back in December, 2022. Does anyone know what this is?

Did you take a picture?

The tiers of outdoor lounger decks above the aft pool on the Konigsdam were never occupied - too exposed and hot - no shade.

Do you think this is what you were seeing -some sort of shade structure being installed over these very nice aft observation lounge decks? Wouldn't that be nice - an adults-only aft pool, and an adults-only aft pool lounging area.  🤫

• Like 2

Ooh! That was my biggest complaint about Rotterdam and K-Dam… with no promenade deck seating, there was no quiet shaded outdoor spaces without loud music or an upcharge. Hope they’re adding shade to those decks!

• Like 4

In our last voyage on the NA, a new structure was in progress in "Deck 12", basically a crew-only rec area off-limits to customers. This was mentioned by the CD Kimberley during one of her talks. Anyone on the ship now please take a photo and post if you can.

• Like 2

That was on the ship in December, which was very irritating, because on the upper deck you could only get around one side, the other reserved for a crew smoking/rest area. It's really a bad look (sort of like the shock of seeing steward carts in the Kdam hallways, something I'd never seen on a HAL ship before), not to mention irritating for those in a lounger nearby possibly having to breathe smoke. I imagine the covering is to protect them in Alaska--or maybe they're charging crew for smoking cabana access. 

If any of you miss the traditional promenade deck on HAL ships like I do and are sailing on Pinnacle class ships there is a small but nice quiet and covered area with loungers on the Panorama deck on the starboard side just forward of the Tamarind restaurant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, asebastian said:

I wonder if this is a requirement to provide crew with more open space, post-Covid. As far as I'm concerned, they seem to be occupying space unused otherwise and they certainly deserve it!

That space is the Sun Bar. It is on all three Pinnacle ships. Last May on the NS it was roped off for crew. Last Oct on R it was not roped but not staffed. This Feb on K it was operating. On both R and K, the counterpart space on the starboard side was roped off for crew. 

• Like 1

We were on the Koningsdam recently and I noticed that area.  I asked the bartenders in the Tamarind what it was.  They said it is an area for the crew for relaxation.  

Edited by Daisyloo
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Daisyloo said:

We were on the Koningsdam recently and I noticed that area.  I asked the bartenders in the Tamarind what it was.  They said it is an area for the crew for relaxation.  

Correct. Just got off the K last week. That's the rear of Deck 11 (the Sun Deck) overlooking the Sea View Pool (Deck 9) and the rear wings of Deck 10 (Panorama Deck). The area has been roped off with signs posted. The tarp roof and tables are a recent addition. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1