need info on Cobh, Ireland

questor

How far is the pier from Cork and what kind of amenties for visitors does the port offer. ie tourist info, taxis, shopping, etc? The HAL excursion site is not working today so I was not able to get an excursion info from it (first immigration forms, now excursions)

Sorry, I don't remember how far it is to Cork, but I do recall that it is a significant ride---it killed the better part of an hour (IIRC) to take the bus tour that went through Cork.

When you dock in Cobh you are in a very pretty little town. There is a train station right there; you practically have to walk through it to get to the street. There's little shops there, as well as a small museum dedicated to the Titanic. Remember how the Titanic did complete a small segment, and disembarked passengers? It was here.

If you want to stay in town there are cabs right at the dock. It's easy to get one to take you around.

If you have a pretty day there I suggest you plan to be out on deck (portside is better) when you sail away. It's a very pretty ride out to broad ocean.

From Cobh (pronounced Cove)/ Cork, HAL has shorex to Blarney Castle (to kiss the stone), Charles Fort and Kinsale (You can see palm trees in Ireland here) and the Waterford crystal shops. These 3 were the favorites when we were there.

Remember to pack rain gear, we got drenched in all 3 Irish ports (July).

Irelend is green for a reason.

GN

Cobh is one of the prettiest towns in Ireland. As soon as you dock, you look up and there is a church steeple way up on the hill. The museum has all the information on the Titanic. Cobh used to be called "Queenstown" when Queen Victoria was queen. The town was called Cobh, but the queen renamed it Queenstown and when she died, they changed it back to Cobh. My mother came over to Canada in 1928 from Germany and we found out that Cobh was the last stop in Europe before heading to Canada. Just like the Titanic. There is also a statue right where you get off of the sinking of the Luisitania. Very sad. The ride into Cork is approximately 1/2 hour.

If you are interested in seeing the sights on your own, not through a HAL tour, the train to/from Cobh to Cork is easy to use. You can find a map of the route here http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/your_journey/cork_cobh_map.asp

and the schedule for 2006 here http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2006/mallowcorkcobh.pdf

If the train schedule doesn't work for you, taxis will be available on the pier, and when we were there we shared a taxi into Cork with another couple. We asked to be dropped at the bus station and took the Open Top Tour of Cork and Blarney Castle (tours offered from Cork bus station at Parnell Place can be viewed here https://www.buseireann.ie/asp/TourList.asp ), but the other couple asked the taxi driver if he would take them on a tour out into the countryside, and he did - don't remember the price, but it was pretty reasonable. The bus station is 10 minutes from the train station, somewhat more if you walk, which is nice as long as it is not raining.

Have a great time! Ireland tends to be rainy, but it is soooo beautiful! By the way, there is a Wildlife Park in Fota (about halfway from Cobh to Cork, you can see it on the train map). I have not been there, but have heard it is worth a looksee.

• 5 years later...
The town was called Cobh, but the queen renamed it Queenstown and when she died, they changed it back to Cobh.

Although Queen Victoria was queen from 1837 to 1901, the name was changed from Cobh to Queenstown in 1849 to commemorate a visit by Victoria. The name was restored to Cobh in 1922 following the Anglo-Irish War and the foundation of the Irish Free State.

I was in Cobh last month as a stop on the Rotterdam transatlantic, and what a pretty port. We were fortunate to dock in the centre of Cobh while the other two ships docked much further out.

Cobh is very walkable and picturesque...do not miss the Cathewdral of St. Colman.....one of the nicest I have seen in Europe, Rose Window and all. Stop for a pint at a local pub, and have lunch at the Commodore Hotel.

WE also did the Blarney Castle tour in the AM which included the city of Cork...just another city tome....Cobh seemed like the real Ireland.

I'm glad to see everyone here likes Cobh. Ireland is awash with pretty towns and villages and, for me, Cobh is one of the prettiest of all.

In addition to all the things pointed out here, there is a wonderful life size statue on the pier of a family about to embark for a new life in America. Thousands of Irish left Ireland for America from Cobh when it was known as Queenstown.

All in all, Cobh is a very charming and managable port of call. Cork, on the other hand, is modern Ireland.

If you're going to visit Cork on your own, rmember to keep an eye on the time. On the recent eastbound TransAtlantic crossing on the Rotterdam, there was one couple who did not make it back in time and had to fly on to Rotterdam to pick up their luggage!

I was in Cobh last month as a stop on the Rotterdam transatlantic, and what a pretty port. We were fortunate to dock in the centre of Cobh while the other two ships docked much further out.

quote]

Yes, the two other ships in port were docked much further out.... but they were closer to City of Cork by taxi, bus etc. They did have a tender service from their pier into Cobh as well.

Stephen

When we went to Cobh, we took the train to cork and walked around the city. Not worth it. As others have suggested, stay and enjoy the sweet town of Cobh or go somewhere other than Cork. Just another town with very dingy storefront windows, at least in 2001. Perhaps things have changed.

Archived