Buying drinks a la carte

lostchild

If you don't have any drink package, do they still just scan your room card and give you the drink?  They can charge the drink to your account, right?   Does it include the 20% tip or you have to tip each time in cash?

1 minute ago, lostchild said:

If you don't have any drink package, do they still just scan your room card and give you the drink?  They can charge the drink to your account, right?   Does it include the 20% tip or you have to tip each time in cash?

The server will scan your SeaPass card. You'll sign the receipt for the drinks. The 20% gratuity is added to your drink purchases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The ship is by and large a cashless system.

If they scan your card for a drink, the gratuity will be part of the transaction.

If you want to give extra gratuity, you can do so in cash, but you are certainly not required to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Remember you can carry on two bottles of wine per person and if you try to bring on more, you might get it on but if not it'll be delivered to your room on the last afternoon/evening

To my surprise, Carnival recently changed their rules, you have to pick it up yourself the morning of disembarkation

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Remember you can carry on two bottles of wine per person and if you try to bring on more, you might get it on but if not it'll be delivered to your room on the last afternoon/evening

To my surprise, Carnival recently changed their rules, you have to pick it up yourself the morning of disembarkation

None of us drink alcohol, so we didn't do all included.   I thought about buying the $30/day zero proof package but with 7 port days and 3 sea days, the 3 of us can't really drink $1000+ worth of beverages on board.   If they still have the previous cheaper non-alcoholic package, I may have gotten it just so don't have to sign receipts.   

5 minutes ago, lostchild said:

None of us drink alcohol, so we didn't do all included.   I thought about buying the $30/day zero proof package but with 7 port days and 3 sea days, the 3 of us can't really drink $1000+ worth of beverages on board.   If they still have the previous cheaper non-alcoholic package, I may have gotten it just so don't have to sign receipts.   

You can carry on sealed cans of non-alcohol...Both at embarkation and while in port...I always carry on a 12 pack case of flavored selzer water in my "checked" luggage

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

5 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

You can carry on sealed cans of non-alcohol..

I didn't know that!  You are a wealth of information, thank you!  I guess I never really paid attention because we've had a drinks package for so long.  I'm learning a lot of new things for our upcoming trip.  So I can bring on mixers like club soda or bottled water with no problem?  In addition to our wine?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I didn't know that!  You are a wealth of information, thank you!  I guess I never really paid attention because we've had a drinks package for so long.  I'm learning a lot of new things for our upcoming trip.  So I can bring on mixers like club soda or bottled water with no problem?  In addition to our wine?

You're welcome, I sail often and have picked up on many things.  You can certainly bring on metal cans, on the other hand I'm not sure about plastic bottles including water in plastic; and yes, this is in addition to the wine

If you want to try to get on water in plastic bottles or other, let's go with "questionable" items, put it in your checked luggage and tip the porters

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

You're welcome, I sail often and have picked up on many things.  You can certainly bring on metal cans, on the other hand I'm not sure about plastic bottles including water in plastic; and yes, this is in addition to the wine

I never have taken beverages on myself (we always have a beverage package) but pre-covid I remember walking down a corridor on embarkation day.  Luggage was starting to be delivered.  And there was a case/flat of bottled water (wrapped in plastic) with a luggage tag on it which had been delivered to the stateroom.  The water was in a cardboard flat with heavy plastic wrapping around the bottles.  We purchase flats like that at our local Costco.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I never have taken beverages on myself (we always have a beverage package) but pre-covid I remember walking down a corridor on embarkation day.  Luggage was starting to be delivered.  And there was a case/flat of bottled water (wrapped in plastic) with a luggage tag on it which had been delivered to the stateroom.  The water was in a cardboard flat with heavy plastic wrapping around the bottles.  We purchase flats like that at our local Costco.

I've seen cases of soda like that, I can't recall seeing water

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I've seen cases of soda like that, I can't recall seeing water

I've never noticed cases of soda, but it really was rather cute to see this.  Tagged luggage is starting to be delivered outside of the staterooms, and lo and behold -- there is this flat of water which had been bought at a Costco or some other warehouse type store with its own luggage tag.

• Like 2