Can I switch an excursion payment method to OBC once onboard?

ExpatBride

I've just booked an excursion that's $30 over the $100 HIA limit. It's not a big deal, but I have a few hundred dollars in non-refundable OBC, which I'll struggle to spend. Does anyone know if it's possible to use the OBC to cover the $30 gap once I'm onboard (i.e., they refund the $30 to my card and debit it from my OBC instead)?

26 minutes ago, ExpatBride said:

I've just booked an excursion that's $30 over the $100 HIA limit. It's not a big deal, but I have a few hundred dollars in non-refundable OBC, which I'll struggle to spend. Does anyone know if it's possible to use the OBC to cover the $30 gap once I'm onboard (i.e., they refund the $30 to my card and debit it from my OBC instead)?

13 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

No, you would have to cancel and rebook.  HAL is a real stickler about the OBC being strictly for onboard purchases. 

11 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

And if you cancel, you run the risk of running into a already existing waiting list.

and even if you are able to rebook it using obc, the refund would be applied to your on board account as refundable credit which could be refunded to you card at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem can be that if you have the HIA package, you will have an excursion credit.  Normally, when you book an excursion (prior to the cruise) it will be applied to that credit.  However, if you are wait listed for that tour, and later clear the wait list, you will be immediately charged (to your credit card) for that tour....even if you still have a tour excursion credit from the HIA package.  Why?  HAL told me it is a software glitch that they hope to fix (hope does spring eternal) but nobody is holding their breath.

The bummer is that even though you have an HIA excursion credit, the HAL software may not allow you to use that credit.  The folks in Seattle say you can deal with this onboard, but that remains a question rather than a solution.  Depending who you deal with onboard, which ship you are on, and the policy of the day, you may or may not be able to get that resolved once onboard.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. It was actually the last spot on this particular excursion which is why I grabbed it. I'm not willing to jump through crazy hoops for $30. Maybe I'll upgrade my cocktails and take up gambling, that should eat up some of the OBC 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ExpatBride said:

Thanks everyone. It was actually the last spot on this particular excursion which is why I grabbed it. I'm not willing to jump through crazy hoops for $30. Maybe I'll upgrade my cocktails and take up gambling, that should eat up some of the OBC 😁

My rule for left over OBC is the same as I have for left over foreign coin currency - convert it to chocolate!  I bought enough rum cakes one year to give one to all of many many sisters. 😂

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ExpatBride said:

@ExpatBride I have personally done the following process on 3 most recent cruises (3 different ships), so I know it works. There are 2 types of OBC (refundable & non-refundable); they're identified at the bottom of the statement (on TV or in Navigator) - be sure you watch the balance of each.

1) Prepay online for excursions you want. Must be done at least 4 days before sail date.

2) Once onboard, immediately go to Excursions Desk and have them move the charges from pre-pay to OBC. It's very important you don't try to do this yourself by canceling and rebooking as you run the risk of missing out on full excursions (exactly what you're trying to prevent by buying early). The Excursions Desk can (and will) rebook you on sold out excursions if all you're doing is changing them from pre-paid to OBC. You cannot do this at Guest Services, it has to be Excursions Desk.

3) Check onboard statement to see the refund. You can use it as you would other OBC or it will be refunded to the credit card you have on file or you can take it in cash. It only goes back to the original CC used to purchase the excursions if that's the same one you have on file for the cruise as the refund goes to the card on file.

4) Enjoy those sold out excursions even more knowing you paid for them w/OBC! 🙃

No hoop jumping or unnecessary spending, IMHO.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

@ExpatBride I have personally done the following process on 3 most recent cruises (3 different ships), so I know it works. There are 2 types of OBC (refundable & non-refundable); they're identified at the bottom of the statement (on TV or in Navigator) - be sure you watch the balance of each.

1) Prepay online for excursions you want. Must be done at least 4 days before sail date.

2) Once onboard, immediately go to Excursions Desk and have them move the charges from pre-pay to OBC. It's very important you don't try to do this yourself by canceling and rebooking as you run the risk of missing out on full excursions (exactly what you're trying to prevent by buying early). The Excursions Desk can (and will) rebook you on sold out excursions if all you're doing is changing them from pre-paid to OBC. You cannot do this at Guest Services, it has to be Excursions Desk.

3) Check onboard statement to see the refund. You can use it as you would other OBC or it will be refunded to the credit card you have on file or you can take it in cash. It only goes back to the original CC used to purchase the excursions if that's the same one you have on file for the cruise as the refund goes to the card on file.

4) Enjoy those sold out excursions even more knowing you paid for them w/OBC! 🙃

No hoop jumping or unnecessary spending, IMHO.

Thank you for these detailed instructions! I'll definitely give it a try. 

On 5/19/2023 at 7:17 AM, ExpatBride said:

Are the gratuities already included in your fare?  If not the $30 will be used to offset the gratuity charges.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Are the gratuities already included in your fare?  If not the $30 will be used to offset the gratuity charges.

They are, and that's where usually where I spend my OBC. This will be my first time trying to use it in other ways. With pre-paid gratuities, a drinks package, and specialty dining, there's not much left to spend it on. I get spa treatments at home, so that's not really a treat and I'm not into most of the stuff they sell onboard. First-world problems 🙈

5 minutes ago, ExpatBride said:

They are, and that's where usually where I spend my OBC. This will be my first time trying to use it in other ways. With pre-paid gratuities, a drinks package, and specialty dining, there's not much left to spend it on. I get spa treatments at home, so that's not really a treat and I'm not into most of the stuff they sell onboard. First-world problems 🙈

You can always move the pre-paids over to OBC (as described above on #9) then decide as your trip goes along - if something pops up you want, the extra is there; if you don't use it (or all of it) you get the refund at the end of the cruise.

Just be sure to check the very end of the statement to make sure none of it's listed under non-refundable. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

8 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

You can always move the pre-paids over to OBC (as described above on #9) then decide as your trip goes along - if something pops up you want, the extra is there; if you don't use it (or all of it) you get the refund at the end of the cruise.

Just be sure to check the very end of the statement to make sure none of it's listed under non-refundable. 

By "pre-paid" I meant that they were included as a promo, so I don't think I can move them to OBC.

52 minutes ago, ExpatBride said:

If nothing else, give it to your cabin attendant or waiter.  You just need to go to Guest Services and fill out a form.   Don't let the non-refundable OBC evaporate.

On a side note, I have a cruise I booked onboard that was also part of an early booking promotion and I have pre-paid gratuities, premium wifi and the drink package and $1200 OBC.  I have no idea how I'm going to spend that non-refundable OBC.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

On a side note, I have a cruise I booked onboard that was also part of an early booking promotion and I have pre-paid gratuities, premium wifi and the drink package and $1200 OBC.  I have no idea how I'm going to spend that non-refundable OBC.

I've got some ideas!! 🙂 

• Haha 1