Just back from first cruise with scooter

Cruz4Sun

Hello!  My DH and I just got off the Caribbean Princess on our first cruise with him using his mobility scooter.  I'm happy to report that all went well and the tips I got prior to the cruise from the CC community were so helpful.  We parked at the port, dropping off our one large suitcase before driving in to the parking structure.  We parked on deck 3 and then used the deck 5 overpass to get to the terminal.  The staff took us through a handicap accessible line and made embarkation very easy.  On board we were able to use the elevators with ease.  My DH would set back a way until I was in the elevator pressing the door open button, then he would pull straight in.  The other passengers were so understanding and we had to wait for a 2nd elevator only a few times.  Dining rooms were fine as my DH drove right to the table and the staff would then park it elsewhere for the duration of the meal.  The lounges took a little more work, finding a spot to park the scooter, but we would go 15 minutes prior to a game show or other event.  Princess theatre has limited handicap seating on deck 7, but we went 30 minutes early where my DH would occupy a seat and I would sit in the row in front of him to save the handicap seats for those that really needed it. 

We spent lots of time on deck 7 outdoors and also at the pool on port days.  Each day we played cards in Club Fusion (coolest temperature on the ship) and went to Skywalkers for the Elite lounge.  All in all a very successful trip which we plan on repeating in January.  Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 6

On 5/21/2023 at 3:49 AM, Cruz4Sun said:

Princess theatre has limited handicap seating on deck 7, but we went 30 minutes early where my DH would occupy a seat and I would sit in the row in front of him to save the handicap seats for those that really needed it. 

Many people don't realize that the lower level of the theater leaves the last seat out in a number of rows for wheelchair or scooter parking. That allows one to stay in their mobility device while another person in their party sits next to them. It seems that most people just think the few spots all the way to the rear of the theater on the upper level are the only mobility device spots.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Many people don't realize that the lower level of the theater leaves the last seat out in a number of rows for wheelchair or scooter parking. That allows one to stay in their mobility device while another person in their party sits next to them. It seems that most people just think the few spots all the way to the rear of the theater on the upper level are the only mobility device spots.

From looking at the deck plans, it appears that the Caribbean, like the Grand and Diamond, may not have 6th fl wheelchair access to the theater.  Had really gotten accustomed to it from the Royal class and the newer Grand class ships.  If someone has more information about ADA access on the Caribbean, we'd be appreciative of it; we're doing a B2B NYC to Quebec to NYC this fall.

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Not all Princess Theaters are configured the same.  The Emerald has straight access to Deck 6 seatings.  The Grand and the Diamond (and others) need to go up some stairs to get into Deck 6.  As always, same class ships are not all the same.  

I went and looked at deck 6 to the Princess Theatre and found no access.  To access the theatre on Deck 7 there is a ramp in the middle between the port and starboard normal entrances.  Once you go up the ramp you can turn left or right to find ADA seating.  I would usually take a quick peek and advise my DH which way to head.