Oh no - no bikes allowed onboard

Techno123

for those of you who remember, my hubby likes to cruise with his mountain bike - there was one point where I thought I might be sleeping on the balcony and the bike would have my half of the bed. 😜 He and Captain Bathgate spent many a happy hour discussing the merits of the mountain bike they both had (the Captain had left his at home) whilst on the Odyssey and I even wrote a little travelogue about his adventures

A week ago, whilst perusing the 'banned onboard' items, there (shock horror) was the word bicycle. Surely not, I thought so I dropped Seabourn a quick email and this was the reply -  'Unfortunately, bicycles are now on the prohibited items list and are not able to be brought onboard. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. And thank you for your understanding in this matter,' 😱😢😢

it can't have been the wheelies he used to do around the promenade deck that caused this, could it 😜

Edited by Techno123

Techno, I well remember reading your very entertaining travelogue about your cruise with the mountain bike in 2016. Punctured in Piraeus was a great title for the thread and written by the lovely Chairsin who was a regular contributor on the Seabourn boards around that time. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cornet said:

Techno, I well remember reading your very entertaining travelogue about your cruise with the mountain bike in 2016. Punctured in Piraeus was a great title for the thread and written by the lovely Chairsin who was a regular contributor on the Seabourn boards around that time. 

@Chairsin denied all responsibility for the title 😁 it was actually @rols who came up with it - the other possible title was Saddlesore in Santorini but we didn't go there and as it was actually a lovely bike shop in Piraeus which repaired his bike so that was the title we went for

He is, though, extremely unhappy that his beloved has now be banned (the bike not me 😂😂

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 1

I remember it too, hard to believe it was almost seven years ago though! 

I must mention I noticed several  posters who were regulars back then had posted on the 'Punctured' thread. I haven't seen them at CC for a long while.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

I remember it too, hard to believe it was almost seven years ago though! 

I must mention I noticed several  posters who were regulars back then had posted on the 'Punctured' thread. I haven't seen them at CC for a long while.  

Can’t believe it’s seven years ago!

@Isklaar and @galeforce9 you are both right seven years have flown by (although two of them definitely disappeared into the ether 😢).

So looking forward to our trip on Ovation in July to Norway - I am sure he will survive without his beloved as I have rented bikes for a couple of days 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Heather White said:

What are the other Banned on board items?

Everything on here 😁 the vast majority make sense but a bike which is pushed on and off the ship, stored on an old towel in the suite and travels in a suitcase seems strange and is definitely something new since Covid 

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/faq/prohibited-items.html

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Techno123 said:

but a bike which is pushed on and off the ship, stored on an old towel in the suite and travels in a suitcase seems strange and is definitely something new since Covid 

You might contact Seabourn for special dispensation to cruise with a bike like that and with mention of the previous blog.

I understand Seabourn's position as I had an oafish dorm mate who scuffed up walls every time he carried his bike through the dorm. He scuffed up people less often.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

wow. That's sad. I've become a cycling since covid started and I remember this thread VERY well and had planned, the next time we cruise, to take one of my bikes with me and cycle around the ports in much the same way. That's is SO SAD that Seabourn now ban them. I wonder if it is possible to get an exemption .. this was on my bucket list. 

Also it's odd that this was just posted. I haven't been to the boards much in the last couple of years, ever since that fateful post about "a new disease which has been seen in China". Today I got my credit card statement to find that our last two on board cruise deposits had been refunded and indeed it was 4 years. So I jumped back on the boards to look for posts about getting extensions (there are none). So no 5% and no bikes .. I may put off my return to cruising for a little while longer. 

Edited by rols
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, rols said:

Today I got my credit card statement to find that our last two on board cruise deposits had been refunded and indeed it was 4 years. So I jumped back on the boards to look for posts about getting extensions (there are none). So no 5% and no bikes .. I may put off my return to cruising for a little while longer. 

Our 5% was extended--but we called and asked for the extension.  It took a few calls as the first person we talked to was not knowledgeable about the discount etc.  

• Like 1

@rols that is such a shame as Mr Techno had huge fun out and about. If they do give you special dispensation let me know as Mr T is now considering whether he wants to sail with a different cruise line who will let him take the bike (need to find one though 😂😂)

Same thing happened to us with the cruise deposits. I had read that S were automatically extending them because of you know what and never thought any more about it until we tried to book for Norway and they said the deposit had been refunded (but to a card I had cancelled). It took some searching to find the deposit and we lost the 5% discount too. It would have been nice if, in the circumstances, S had contacted all of us with future cruise deposits to ask if we wanted to carry it forward or receive the refund.

4 hours ago, rols said:

wow. That's sad. I've become a cycling since covid started and I remember this thread VERY well and had planned, the next time we cruise, to take one of my bikes with me and cycle around the ports in much the same way. That's is SO SAD that Seabourn now ban them. I wonder if it is possible to get an exemption .. this was on my bucket list. 

Also it's odd that this was just posted. I haven't been to the boards much in the last couple of years, ever since that fateful post about "a new disease which has been seen in China". Today I got my credit card statement to find that our last two on board cruise deposits had been refunded and indeed it was 4 years. So I jumped back on the boards to look for posts about getting extensions (there are none). So no 5% and no bikes .. I may put off my return to cruising for a little while longer. 

Good to see you again rols, you were one of the missing regulars I had mentioned in my post upthread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1