Disembarkation San Pedro to LAX

vakamalua

Our CA Coastal this fall gets into San Pedro on a Saturday morning.  Any idea how long it will take to get luggage, clear customs & get to LAX via Princess shuttle?  We're not flying out but trying to meet a pick-up.  Can / how do we let Princess know that we want to be in an early disembarkation group?

1 hour ago, vakamalua said:

Our CA Coastal this fall gets into San Pedro on a Saturday morning.  Any idea how long it will take to get luggage, clear customs & get to LAX via Princess shuttle?  We're not flying out but trying to meet a pick-up.  Can / how do we let Princess know that we want to be in an early disembarkation group?

There are honestly too many variables that can happen to give you an clear answer.  But, you’d probably be relatively safe with a guess to get there around 10:30 - 11:00.  
Once, we got there around 8:00 AM and another time, it’s was well after noon.  
You can absolutely let Princess know you want to be off in the early group.  The ability to do self walk off would be your best bet but if you plan on taking the Princess shuttle, they will wait until it’s full before they move on out towards the airport.  If you want to get there much earlier, just plan on taking an Uber instead.  You might be able to get there by 9 AM 

It's been a while (2018) since we disembarked in San Pedro but it seems to me there was some issue with UBER at the time and they were restricted as to where they could pick up people. Is this still the case and, if so, is it a problem or just a minor inconvenience?

2 hours ago, vakamalua said:

how do we let Princess know that we want to be in an early disembarkation group?

I find it easy to just visit guest services and let them know.  

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

It's been a while (2018) since we disembarked in San Pedro but it seems to me there was some issue with UBER at the time and they were restricted as to where they could pick up people. Is this still the case and, if so, is it a problem or just a minor inconvenience?

LAX has an area for rideshares that is not remotely close to the terminals.  Since LAX is a behemoth in the first place, this "bullpen" nonsense is even more hassle.  However, LAX is always "improving," so there could be something even worse by now. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

You’re talking about disembarking San Pedro port….we walked out the door of customs, called Uber and they were there to pick us up in 10mins.  Very easy

and convenient.  

This was only a few months ago.  No problem.

23 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

You’re talking about disembarking San Pedro port….we walked out the door of customs, called Uber and they were there to pick us up in 10mins.  Very easy

and convenient.  

This was only a few months ago.  No problem.

No problem in San Pedro at the dock.  The nonsense is at LAX.

The cabin steward will leave a form on your bed one evening for you to fill out, asking about your Disembarkation preferences.

Last Saturday, at San Pedro (05-20-2023, the Emerald), I had no time pressures, because my car was parked in the parking lot by the pier, and I had plenty of time. So I selected a late departure when I filled out my preference form.  

I was assigned to a group with a 9:20 estimated time of departure. After a leisurely breakfast, we went to the elite gathering place, club fusion. It was 9:15 when we showed up, and our group had already been called. So we were sent directly off the ship. We went through  customs/immigration, had a porter get our bags, loaded the car and we were actually at the exit of the parking lot (ouch!  $$$$) by 10 AM.  45 minutes from showing up at the disembarkation gathering spot until we were actually on the road. 

The entire disembarkation process was fast and easy.  

• Like 1

There is ongoing construction at LAX. The traffic is an issue because of construction of the People Mover from what will be the rent-a-car facility to the airport. Also, they are modernizing Terminal 3. Give yourself plenty of time. I live near LAX. We drive by there at least 3 or 4 times week. Traffic gets backed up frequently.

1 hour ago, tootsiescurly said:

There is ongoing construction at LAX. The traffic is an issue because of construction of the People Mover from what will be the rent-a-car facility to the airport. Also, they are modernizing Terminal 3. Give yourself plenty of time. I live near LAX. We drive by there at least 3 or 4 times week. Traffic gets backed up frequently.

Any clue when construction will be finished?

29 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Any clue when construction will be finished?

Never. LOL. After they finish this project they will start another one. I took my first flight out of LAX in 1967 and they have been “improving” it ever since. 

• Haha 1