Vista Promenade Deck Seating?

joseph123

I am considering a cruise this winter on the Vista. The ship looks beautiful but I am noting it looks as if there is not a lot of accessible outdoor deck space fore and aft, and the promenade on deck 6 looks rather narrow. Can anyone comment on the promenade deck and if there is any seating out there? I see photos of some of the smaller Oceania ships in which there are definitely deck chairs on the promenades, but can find none of the larger ships similar to the Vista. Also, do the outdoor deck areas seem over crowded? Looks like the lounge area forward is exclusive to spa guests and there is a large area aft dedicated to putting greens. Just want to make sure there will be adequate outdoor seating/lounging areas for the amount of passengers.

21 minutes ago, joseph123 said:

I am considering a cruise this winter on the Vista. The ship looks beautiful but I am noting it looks as if there is not a lot of accessible outdoor deck space fore and aft, and the promenade on deck 6 looks rather narrow. Can anyone comment on the promenade deck and if there is any seating out there? I see photos of some of the smaller Oceania ships in which there are definitely deck chairs on the promenades, but can find none of the larger ships similar to the Vista. Also, do the outdoor deck areas seem over crowded? Looks like the lounge area forward is exclusive to spa guests and there is a large area aft dedicated to putting greens. Just want to make sure there will be adequate outdoor seating/lounging areas for the amount of passengers.

I recommend that you read the photo review of the christening cruise by steamboats - she has a very detailed photo review plus lots of details - 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, joseph123 said:

Yes, thanks. Great photos! I saw some of the prom deck but did not show any seating. I presume there is none or they would have photographed?

There usually are loungers in all open areas of the deck.....if you do not find some in the area you want, you can always ask for some to be brought (unless it is a safety hazard)

4 minutes ago, joseph123 said:

The Prom deck on the Vista looks rather small and uninviting from the photos. Does anyone have photos or has experienced on the sister ships?

If you are looking for a wide promenade with loungers lining the deck, I doubt you will find this on Oceania or most newer ships.....Oceania ships offer lots of quiet, outer spaces scattered all over the upper decks with loungers for the views of the ocean, etc

Hello:

You can plainly see that the larger O ships including VISTA do not have even limited promenade decks.  NO deck chairs.   This is why I will only sail on the R class ships.  Yes, the R class ships only feature limited promenade decks but they do have comfortable deck chairs where you can sit under lifeboats out of the sun to nap, read, or watch the ocean go by.  

Deck Chair.

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 1

That is what I thought from reviewing the photos. I do love a promenade deck experience. With that, is there a shortage of deck space for 1,200 passengers? Looks like very little outdoor area except for around the only pool. Does it feel crowded? Don't want to to spend the additional money for a premium cruise experience if it will seem very crowded on the decks. Odd that they would dedicate so much space at the aft of the ship to the putting greens? Would be nice to access an area to enjoy the wake other than for dining. These are my only reservations with booking. The decor of the ship looks stunning!

2 hours ago, joseph123 said:

That is what I thought from reviewing the photos. I do love a promenade deck experience. With that, is there a shortage of deck space for 1,200 passengers? Looks like very little outdoor area except for around the only pool. Does it feel crowded? Don't want to to spend the additional money for a premium cruise experience if it will seem very crowded on the decks. Odd that they would dedicate so much space at the aft of the ship to the putting greens? Would be nice to access an area to enjoy the wake other than for dining. These are my only reservations with booking. The decor of the ship looks stunning!

Our experience on Riviera in January, in the Caribbean was that decks 12 and 14 are filled with chaises but maybe half are in direct sun ( as are all in the Spa).  It seemed pretty clear that many on that cruise barely, if ever got off the boat.  Sea day or port day, it was very difficult to get two chaises together in the shade after noon and often not easy to get a single.  Never had an issue if you were willing to sit in the sun and go up to 14.  Now, this also had issues with the "chair hogs."  Plenty of threads here on that topic and suffice it to say that most other lines with small ships run into this issue. I have no intent to rehash the discussion other than to say O has a policy in place and if you feel people are abusing it, let someone with O know.

Fortunately we had an extended balcony which my wife preferred anyway and I played bridge in the afternoon on sea days so we did not feel it was a major issue for us. 

Vista looks similar enough.

14 hours ago, joseph123 said:

Yes, thanks. Great photos! I saw some of the prom deck but did not show any seating. I presume there is none or they would have photographed?

Although the promende on deck 6 is accessible on both sides (but no walk around the ship) it is basically for accessing the life boats. It´s too narrow for seating and there are only some spots which aren´t blocked by the life boats. So the answer is no, no seating on deck 6.

The Aquamar Spa Terrace is accessible for Concierge Level and up. A daily pass is available for 25 USD.

The golf putting green is above the Aquamar Spa Terrace and forward. No seating in that area but a level below on deck 15 facing the pool.

There´s an open aft area on the aft sports deck but no seating there either. There you will find the running track, bocce, shuffleboard. The Terrace Café has an aft outdoor area as well.

But anyway I think there is plenty of outdoor space on the pool deck and on deck 14 above the pool deck with lot´s of loungers.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, joseph123 said:

We have cruised several times on Riviera and never once saw any shortage of deck space.  A lot of people (us included) use the 18 hole putting course.  It is fun (and besides we are golfers...like many others on board).   There is a jogging track too and if you want to walk around on that it is OK to do so.   "Promenade Deck" reminds me of the old trans-atlantic steamers like the Queen Mary where we had Beef Broth at 1100...  Nice memories but those days are over I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

"Promenade Deck" reminds me of the old trans-atlantic steamers like the Queen Mary where we had Beef Broth at 1100...  Nice memories but those days are over I think.

Those days disappeared when statisticians told ship architects to minimize locations from which folks could hit the water when they went over a railing.

The last time I saw publicly-discussed costs for a man-overboard search it was over US$500,000.

Edited by Snaefell3

On 5/25/2023 at 9:24 AM, joseph123 said:

As far as the Promenade Deck, it isn't designed for seating, but for access for the crew to the lifeboats. You can get out on it through doors near the Grand Dining Room, but it's more just for looking around.  The deck actually has more space on it at either end than Marina.

On 5/26/2023 at 5:31 AM, Hambagahle said:

We have cruised several times on Riviera and never once saw any shortage of deck space.  A lot of people (us included) use the 18 hole putting course.  It is fun (and besides we are golfers...like many others on board).   There is a jogging track too and if you want to walk around on that it is OK to do so.   "Promenade Deck" reminds me of the old trans-atlantic steamers like the Queen Mary where we had Beef Broth at 1100...  Nice memories but those days are over I think.

Hi!  Those day are NOT over.  There are really nice promenade decks on the Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth, all the SAGA ships, Disney ships and no doubt others.  I for one do not want to burn/broil under the sun and will not sail on ships with no real promenade decks where I can take shade under lifeboats out of the sun to read, nap, chat with those strolling by and simply watch the beautiful ocean go by.  

Deck Chair.

8 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hi!  Those day are NOT over.  There are really nice promenade decks on the Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth, all the SAGA ships, Disney ships and no doubt others.  I for one do not want to burn/broil under the sun and will not sail on ships with no real promenade decks where I can take shade under lifeboats out of the sun to read, nap, chat with those strolling by and simply watch the beautiful ocean go by.  

Deck Chair.

I agree. They offer such a nice alternative to the busy pool decks. My last cruise's were on Celebrity Millennium and Infinity, and both had lovely, wide promenades with deck chairs. Looks like even the smaller Oceania ships have them. Considered one of them but the cabins, balconies and bathrooms are way too small. I am leaning toward booking the Vista even though no substantial promenade deck, however I am awaiting the reviews to start coming in. The reviews I am reading here on Oceania in general are not very encouraging. Seems to be many bad reviews on all the older ships.

10 hours ago, deck chair said:

Deck Chair.

Trying here to understand what a chair on a Promenade (with or without shade) offers over a chair on a stateroom balcony?

<snark>...and no worries about chair-hogs, either </snark>  ;^)

2 hours ago, joseph123 said:

I agree. They offer such a nice alternative to the busy pool decks. My last cruise's were on Celebrity Millennium and Infinity, and both had lovely, wide promenades with deck chairs. Looks like even the smaller Oceania ships have them. Considered one of them but the cabins, balconies and bathrooms are way too small. I am leaning toward booking the Vista even though no substantial promenade deck, however I am awaiting the reviews to start coming in. The reviews I am reading here on Oceania in general are not very encouraging. Seems to be many bad reviews on all the older ships.

Hi again!  Looks like you and I have sailed on many of the same ships!  I have only sailed on the SIRENA this past January for 20 days.  I was extremely impressed.   Impressed enough to book a 40 day Trans-pacific on the INSIGNIA this coming January.  Yes, I know the baths and showers are small and that seems to be the main criticism. And the lack of great entertainment is another. I will not sail on the larger ships because they are too big with too many passengers.  I think you lose the intimacy on the large ships.  And no useable promenade deck is the main thing.   If I see you, I will buy you a drink!

Deck Chair.

6 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Trying here to understand what a chair on a Promenade (with or without shade) offers over a chair on a stateroom balcony?

Thank you for your question..    The balconies aren't that big from what I see at least on the R class ships.   I'm 6'2" so a balcony would be a tight squeeze.  A promenade deck chair offers a much wider view and is more comfortable and offers the opportunity to socialize with your fellow passengers as they stroll by.   I only sit on the promenade deck and have never seen chair hogs.  Hope this helps.

Deck Chair.

<snark>...and no worries about chair-hogs, either </snark>  ;^)

1 hour ago, deck chair said:

I will not sail on the larger ships because they are too big with too many passengers.  I think you lose the intimacy on the large ships.  And no useable promenade deck is the main thing.   If I see you, I will buy you a drink!

Deck Chair.

Do you mean the larger Oceania ships  or larger main stream ships?

2 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hi!  In this case with this line I mean the larger O ships.

Deck Chair.

I guess  they are a little less intimate  but not so  large that it feels crowded  like I remember some  main stream lines

JMO

We like both sizes  of O ships