RC Cruise Stops at Trinidad & Tobago

scotlady

Hi!

We have a group booked on a cruise that stops at both of these ports.  The stop at Trinidad is on the last day of carnival.

So two questions:  would it be considered safe at all for a group of 12 to go into town to watch the carnival action?  

We don't want to participate, but seeing the costumes would be amazing.

Secondly - has ANYONE done a ship's excursions to either of these islands recently?

I find lots of discussion, but no one reporting back that they have been onto the islands recently . . .

• 1 month later...

I can answer your second question and explain why you are not seeing any recent discussions: Currently there are no ships visiting Trinidad or Tobago. Looking at the cruise tracker websites it shows that ships will start calling on these ports in mid-November and continue through the following March or April. 

In February I will be on a cruise that stops at both islands and I'm looking forward to reading first-hand experiences here starting in November. 

It appears there is one person who has been posting negative comments on nearly every topic here, claiming how terrible and dangerous it is in Trinidad and Tobago, it will be nice to read first-hand commentary from actual cruise visitors who talk about their experiences and make recommendations for activities on these islands. 

• Like 2

Okay, so just opening up to cruise ship travel.  I will keep checking back.

I am still concerned about safety a bit, since there since a level 3 travel advisory for the islands.

Which cruise date are you on?  We are on the February 10th cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I are also interested to hear about these ports. We are looking at Royal's Jewel leaving out of San Juan either Jan 13 or March 23. We are both divers and curious if the diving is good in either place or other activities. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 10:17 AM, scotlady said:

Okay, so just opening up to cruise ship travel.  I will keep checking back.

I am still concerned about safety a bit, since there since a level 3 travel advisory for the islands.

Which cruise date are you on?  We are on the February 10th cruise.

We are also very concerned. We are on Jewel of the Seas Feb. 2024 (RCL) stopping in both Trinidad and Tobago. We plan on not getting off the ship in Trinidad but hoping to go to the beach on Tobago (with Royal, feel safer).

Hoping to read some positive reviews.

And yes, SGB65CB, I saw many negative reviews also.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 1:47 PM, jamiegilbert said:

@SGB65CB am I understanding correctly that RCCL doesn't start to visit these ports until November - April? I am also not seeing any posts  on these two islands. Is this the reason why?

Yes I have read this as well and cruise the first of November. Not sure what we will do.Watching TripAdvisor forums as well for land tourism reports to get a feel. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/22/2023 at 2:45 PM, Janie1229 said:

My husband and I are also interested to hear about these ports. We are looking at Royal's Jewel leaving out of San Juan either Jan 13 or March 23. We are both divers and curious if the diving is good in either place or other activities. 

We will be (hopefully) diving in Tobago the week of Christmas.  We are diving with "Undersea Tobago" and this is our first time on the island.  I'll try to update you on our experience or feel free to reach out.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 3:01 PM, hasentreelake said:

We will be stopping in Tobago 25 Nov on X Silhouette.
We are doing a ship excursion to Club Pigeon Point Beach.
I will report back (to include mine and others experiences)

How was your day at Pigeon Point Beach?

16 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

How was your day at Pigeon Point Beach?

FYI they posted their review on another thread, here (read this entry and the following entries): 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2973998-recent-tobago-info/?do=findComment&comment=66488855

Edited by SG65CB
  • Like 1