ADVISE FOR COORDINATING CARD PLAYING GROUP CRUISE, PLEASE!

Hello all,

My card playing folks want to do a cruise out of Baltimore.  Any advise/wisdom that you can share as far as dealing with the ship and in my coordination efforts would greatly be appreciated.  Yes, I have a great Travel Agent and will be using him to the max.  But I am looking for maybe inside info. when you have a group.  My group may be as few as 5 cabins or 20.  Planning is in the early stages.  Include why not to do and best practices.  Thank you so much.  The Cruise Critics have always been so helpful and correct.  Most of us will be 60 plus.  Some couples and a number of widows.  We are slow but at least able bodied.  Mostly women.

2 hours ago, OC PAT said:

Any advise/wisdom that you can share as far as dealing with the ship and in my coordination efforts would greatly be appreciated.

When you board Vision, go to guest services and see what they can offer - maybe one of the conf rooms. Don't be that group that takes over a bunch of tables in the Solarium or WJ.

• Like 5

Many people already play cards in the Solarium.  You may have to get several tables, but that's part of the fun, and there are always at least that many tables being used for cards.  Rotate people every so often bewtween tables.

The corner back where the Spa is located is quieter.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Don't be that group that takes over a bunch of tables in the Solarium or WJ.

Biker19, whenever I walk into any Solarium, I see at least 20 people playing cards at multiple tables.  There is no reason why this group cannot do that.  Yes, I agree one of the conference rooms would work, but the Solarium, or the pool deck, has refreshments, nearby bathrooms, and food.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pcur said:

Biker19, whenever I walk into any Solarium, I see at least 20 people playing cards at multiple tables.  There is no reason why this group cannot do that.  Yes, I agree one of the conference rooms would work, but the Solarium, or the pool deck, has refreshments, nearby bathrooms, and food.  

but that is really annoying when you grab your food in either WJ or Solarium Bistro, but can't sit to eat because people are playing cards.  Those tables should be for those who are eating.  When done with your food, leave that table. Not eating a meal and hogging up a table for a card game? Find a different spot. Same with people who just sit at a table endlessly after finishing a meal.  At least on recent sailings they have started asking people in the WJ to please move on once done with a meal.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rockmom said:

but that is really annoying when you grab your food in either WJ or Solarium Bistro, but can't sit to eat because people are playing cards.  Those tables should be for those who are eating.  When done with your food, leave that table. Not eating a meal and hogging up a table for a card game? Find a different spot. Same with people who just sit at a table endlessly after finishing a meal.  At least on recent sailings they have started asking people in the WJ to please move on once done with a meal.  

Very valid points.  I was thinking a lounge during the day.  They are usually empty but their chairs are tough.  HAL sectioned off a spot for a knitting group. I am thinking I will get a designated space (s) that we can alternate.  I also want to pre-arrange and get it in writing before the cruise as much as I can.  My group likes to eat so they will be respecting folks during the busy meal hours and not be playing.

Thank you for your contributions. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rockmom said:

I have never thought those tables were for eating.  There are many more tables out on the pool deck.  The Solarium tables are used for crafts, reading, cards, eating, talking, knitting.  All the stuff people do to relax and enjoy the sea view.

• Like 2

I prearranged with odysseyevents@rccl.com when I wanted alternate sea days to host private games and LCR for my large group on our Odyssey transatlantic last year. They gave us part of the dining room on the opposite side of the ship from their own game space. Your ship is much smaller but perhaps they can set some tables up just dedicated to your group. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mom4mom said:

I prearranged with odysseyevents@rccl.com when I wanted alternate sea days to host private games and LCR for my large group on our Odyssey transatlantic last year. They gave us part of the dining room on the opposite side of the ship from their own game space. Your ship is much smaller but perhaps they can set some tables up just dedicated to your group. 

Was that email just for the Odyssey Ship? I wonder if I did that with Vision of the Seasevents, I would be connecting with the right people.  TA will be working for his big dollars.  Thanks!  When we did our South Pacific Cruise they used part of the lounge.

Just now, OC PAT said:

Was that email just for the Odyssey Ship? I wonder if I did that with Vision of the Seasevents, I would be connecting with the right people.  TA will be working for his big dollars.  Thanks!  When we did our South Pacific Cruise they used part of the lounge.

I would address to visionevents@rccl.com

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pcur said:

So, are these people that know each other beforehand?   Can random people (ie me) that likes cards join?  I added playing cards to my pack list.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pcur said:

I have never thought those tables were for eating.  There are many more tables out on the pool deck.  The Solarium tables are used for crafts, reading, cards, eating, talking, knitting.  All the stuff people do to relax and enjoy the sea view.

Tables used to have signs on them saying for patrons of Park Cafe. I guess they got tired of people ignoring them. I think those signs were on the same side as Park Cafe but people ignored them anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

So, are these people that know each other beforehand?   Can random people (ie me) that likes cards join?  I added playing cards to my pack list.  

Well in our case its folks who play at our senior centers that I will be promoting the cruise but we would welcome newcomers.  I usually can't find anyone who plays pinochle on our cruises.  I do know they have open bridge games and some ships have announced other card games going.  I think I am booking the cruise in October, 2024 out of Baltimore, if you are interested.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

You can always ask. Make sure you know how to play the game, since they may not be in the frame of mind to teach the game.  Some people are pretty competetive.  I stopped by to watch a couple I knew who were in the early 90's, the wife being an EXTREMELY bossy and controlling person.  She finally lost, and her sweet, silent husband was smiling shyly at me when I stopped and said, "So, it looks like Sydney finally won, huh?"  She grmbled, "When you're right, you're right."  Sydney just smiled silently.  Love that old guy!

I was playing a tile game with friends in the Solarium, and several people stopped by to ask what game it was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

Tables used to have signs on them saying for patrons of Park Cafe. I guess they got tired of people ignoring them. I think those signs were on the same side as Park Cafe but people ignored them anyway.

I haven't seen those signs in years.  The Solarium has evolved to more of a social gathering place.

• Like 2

On the recent Explorer TA, it was listed  that bridge was available on the deck 4 MDR every day from 1PM until 4 PM.  Royal Caribbean just provided the space, We had to organize everything else, but they did provide a bottle of champagne for the duplicate bridge winner every day.. We had 20 or 22 people playing every sea day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OC PAT said:

.  I usually can't find anyone who plays pinochle on our cruises.  I do know they have open bridge games and some ships have announced other card games going.  I think I am booking the cruise in October, 2024 out of Baltimore, if you are interested.

I have been on 26 cruises (22 on RCCL) and I have yet to find anyone that can play Pinochle!!  I would love to be on your cruise but I have chosen Symphony, out of Cape Liberty, October 2024, and the Oasis, again out of Cape Liberty for October 2023, instead.  Many more venues for card playing! although I love the Vision, it is very small, with only a few lounges. hard to find a table in the Solarium, and the tables are various sizes and number about 15-20 total. Perhaps the Vision is not the best ship for your plans. 

Edited by Clancy14

5 hours ago, Clancy14 said:

I have been on 26 cruises (22 on RCCL) and I have yet to find anyone that can play Pinochle!!  I would love to be on your cruise but I have chosen Symphony, out of Cape Liberty, October 2024, and the Oasis, again out of Cape Liberty for October 2023, instead.  Many more venues for card playing! although I love the Vision, it is very small, with only a few lounges. hard to find a table in the Solarium, and the tables are various sizes and number about 15-20 total. Perhaps the Vision is not the best ship for your plans. 

Our efforts to find players in over 30 cruise is nil. My group are seniors from Maryland and only want to go out Baltimore, they don't want to fly..  I prefer RCCL so it appears vision is going to be it.  Appreciate your insight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OC PAT said:

Our efforts to find players in over 30 cruise is nil. My group are seniors from Maryland and only want to go out Baltimore, they don't want to fly..  I prefer RCCL so it appears vision is going to be it.  Appreciate your insight.

A bit off-topic:  I cruised on a back-to-next day cruise, where I got off the ship in Baltimore and took Amtrak up to Newark, NJ the same day.  The second cruise left the next day.  It was a very quick (2.5 hours) and pleasant train ride, and the fare was $25.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1