Platinum laundry, how much to tip?

SpainAlien

8 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

Yes - unless you somehow have pre-paid gratuities.  That is a perk my travel agent sometimes offers, and I make a point to book when it is available.  Typically, this will be more valuable than a $100 or $200 OBC.  We had this in a suite for a 16-day cruise recently.  Saved $800.

I rarely book with a TA but the one we do use occasionally now offers free gratuities on NCL cruises. It was a no brainer to use the the TA and get the free gratuities since we are booked for a 21 day cruise. $800 in gratuities is a big chunk and a lot better than obc to us.

• Like 2

I would not tip for the laundry; and it is your steward that generally brings the clean laundry back. Ii wouldn't tip our last steward. He gave us wrong information saying to put express on our platinum laundry (they probably would have charged us extra, I checked w/ the guest services). He took 2+ days to get it back to us saying it was because it wasn't express. Then said that laundry is finished at 5pm and that his shift ended at 6pm so had to wait another day for it.  Funny that the second laundry came back by the second day. I know that the steward was overwhelmed but feel that tipping if for people that make an extra effort which he did not even attempt.  

• Like 4

Another thing🤪 do people go around with money to tip in various venues?

In the past the only place I have given cash tips was at the past guest parties so the waiters are aware of my location so they will return😆.

I have usually given our room steward and any special waiter some cash at the end of the cruise, too.

• Like 1

A little off topic but I’m sharing anyway.  I think our room stewards look forward to servicing our cabin.  We leave a daily tip with a kind note with any requests but always thanking them.  On our last cruise we saw some of the crew loading up on chips and candy at the local pharmacy…and realized this was a treat for them.  So, we bought some for our room steward.  This is the note he left for us (no I’m not a sir). So, while we are having an unforgettable time, we can make their week unforgettable (in a good way…lol).  

DECF719A-9FDB-4B6B-B319-EF135A0C8E58.jpeg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Clairescurtains said:

In the past the only place I have given cash tips was at the past guest parties so the waiters are aware of my location so they will return😆.

I have usually given our room steward and any special waiter some cash at the end of the cruise, too.

Plenty of people do. Read a few of the tipping threads. Some people give a buck or two per drink. Others will tip at specialty dining, in the main dining rooms, etc. Others don't. I'm an "other," but I also participate in othering as I will tip select servers/bartenders a $20 at the end of the cruise if they made my experience special. 

9 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

This is the note he left for us (no I’m not a sir). So, while we are having an unforgettable time, we can make their week unforgettable (in a good way…lol).  

Where is the "love" reaction! What a thoughtful gesture. Thanks for sharing his note to you and making him feel special. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I tip $5 with the bag of laundry, esp if the bag is crammed full.  If everything is returned in good shape (folded neatly, nothing missing) I will complete a comment card and put it in the empty basket.

I always want the workers to see my kind words (and know that the comment cards can count toward their performance ratings). 

Of course, I have no idea whether the $5 actually makes it to the laundry team, or whether their tips are pooled/shared, but I like to at least try to express my gratitude.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 8:20 PM, luv2kroooz said:

I can only share what NCL states and what current industry standards are. You are most welcome to twist their statement or interpret it in any way you see fit, as are other readers of these forums. Thanks for sharing your interpretation. I hope this clears up false misleading and irrelevant info I posted, if any. Lol.

Lastly, we reserve the right to shut off or even reduce the DSC/tips, at any point, in keeping with current industry standards, which are currently $15-$16.50 per person, per day based on cruise line. No one charges $20 except NCL. I wonder why that would be?

From NCL.

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional

Except YOU are the one applying an interpretation, not me,.  At no point does NCL sau that the DSC is a tip or replaces tipping.  It funds an employee incentive program is what that states. Also they do not list any suggested amount to tip anyone..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Except YOU are the one applying an interpretation, not me,.  At no point does NCL sau that the DSC is a tip or replaces tipping.  It funds an employee incentive program is what that states. Also they do not list any suggested amount to tip anyone..

We are debating semantics at this point. Thank you for your contributions.

The industry currently assesses a daily fee. Some call it crew appreciation (Princess). Carnival/Royal calls it service gratuity(tips). Call it what you want. The intent of these charges is and has always been to compensate the crew for the service they provide. 

If you don't think these charges are effectively intended to be or replace required tipping, then please continue to tip the crew over and above the daily charge. I couldn't care less what you do. But please don't come on here and expect me or others to do as you do.

We gladly pay $16.50 per person per day which is in line with industry standards and more fairly represents the value of the service we receive. We do not and will not pay $20 per person per day on NCL. Their service is good and on par with other cruise lines, but nothing we have seen would warrant $20.

Lastly, rest assured we certainly will not allow other members on here to shame us for not tipping the laundry guy, the head chef, the restaurant hostess, the plumber, the dishwasher, the general Manager's secretary etc. 

For the benefit of the community, here are snapshots of the current industry standards for the daily charges. Some call them gratuities some call them charges. The intent of these fees is the same.

Carnival...

SERVICE GRATUITIES (TIPS)

It is customary for our guests to extend gratuities to the shipboard staff in appreciation for their hard work and exceptional service. 100% of your gratuities are distributed to the crew who you interact with, such as your stateroom attendants, dining and culinary services staff, as well as others who work behind the scenes to enhance your overall cruise experience. Applying this charge automatically streamlines the recognition process and ensures our crew will share in your generosity. 

Princess....
The “Crew Appreciation” is a daily amount for each guest that will be automatically added to your onboard account for your convenience, to recognize the efforts of a wide variety of crewmembers who contribute to the experiences of all our guests.  The crewmembers eligible to receive these funds work in various departments, many of whom rotate among different ships, throughout our fleet of ships. 

Royal...

As of September 7th, 2022, the automatic service gratuity of $16.00 USD per person, per day for guests in non-suites staterooms, or $18.50 USD per person, per day for guests in Suites, will be applied to each guest’s SeaPass account on a daily basis. The gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories. As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

The industry currently assesses a daily fee. Some call it crew appreciation (Princess). Carnival/Royal calls it service gratuity(tips). Call it what you want. The intent of these charges is and has always been to compensate the crew for the service they provide. 

If you don't think these charges are effectively intended to be or replace required tipping, then please continue to tip the crew over and above the daily charge. I couldn't care less what you do. But please don't come on here and expect me or others to do as you do.

We gladly pay $16.50 per person per day which is in line with industry standards and more fairly represents the value of the service we receive. We do not and will not pay $20 per person per day on NCL. Their service is good and on par with other cruise lines, but nothing we have seen would warrant $20.

Lastly, rest assured we certainly will not allow other members on here to shame us for not tipping the laundry guy, the head chef, the restaurant hostess, the plumber, the dishwasher, the general Manager's secretary etc. 

For the benefit of the community, here are snapshots of the current industry standards for the daily charges. Some call them gratuities some call them charges. The intent of these fees is the same.

Carnival...

It is customary for our guests to extend gratuities to the shipboard staff in appreciation for their hard work and exceptional service. 100% of your gratuities are distributed to the crew who you interact with, such as your stateroom attendants, dining and culinary services staff, as well as others who work behind the scenes to enhance your overall cruise experience. Applying this charge automatically streamlines the recognition process and ensures our crew will share in your generosity. 

Princess....
The “Crew Appreciation” is a daily amount for each guest that will be automatically added to your onboard account for your convenience, to recognize the efforts of a wide variety of crewmembers who contribute to the experiences of all our guests.  The crewmembers eligible to receive these funds work in various departments, many of whom rotate among different ships, throughout our fleet of ships. 

Royal...

As of September 7th, 2022, the automatic service gratuity of $16.00 USD per person, per day for guests in non-suites staterooms, or $18.50 USD per person, per day for guests in Suites, will be applied to each guest’s SeaPass account on a daily basis. The gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories. As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience.

So you agree with me and others who say tip who you want, when you want, any amount you want and what others choose to do is irrelevant.  Just took you a whoel lot more words to say it.

52 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

So you agree with me and others who say tip who you want, when you want, any amount you want and what others choose to do is irrelevant.  Just took you a whoel lot more words to say it.

We have absolute agreement on that point.  I find your comment calling out how many words it took me to say something rather snarky and uncalled for. So sad.

Where you lost me is when you made this radical comment yesterday, but we've already debated that and others have pointed out the inaccuracy in the statement.

" 1st off the DSC has noting at all to do with tipping 

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Carnival...

Princess....

Royal...

Thank you for this. I feel that MoCruiseFan insisting the DSC has nothing to do with tips is misleading to new cruisers. Of course it does. The DSC was invented to make it easier for the cruisers, so they do not have to run around the last night with tip envelopes. That said, I do tip drink servers and my room steward extra, and wait staff when I do my free Sapphire specialty dining. It is true that, technically speaking, NCL does not call the DSC tips. 

I also like to hear what others tip. It gives me a general idea of where to start when I do choose to tip extra. It would never occur to me to tip for laundry, but I kind of like the idea of leaving five dollars in the basket when my laundry is returned promptly and in good condition. 

I try not to get involved in tipping threads, but sometimes just feel the need to state my opinion.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2023 at 9:49 AM, Clairescurtains said:

I tip for good service.  In terms of bartenders, I tend to find my "local" on a ship, where I tend to hang the most.  I'll tip there because those folks are taking good care of me (otherwise I wouldn't be there in the first place!)  Not on every drink but maybe $5 here and there, often at the end of the night, for being friendly and keeping my drink full.  If I'm just somewhere for one drink I generally won't. 

I usually do specialty dining and if service is attentive they get a tip.  I used to just add it on the check but I've taken to doing that in cash, if I'm carrying any.  Again, it isn't what I'd tip on land because the tip has already been added on.  Just a little extra to express appreciation. 

Off ship, pretty much everyone gets tipped unless I know that they built that into the cost of whatever I'm doing.

On 5/30/2023 at 8:20 PM, luv2kroooz said:

I can only share what NCL states and what current industry standards are. You are most welcome to twist their statement or interpret it in any way you see fit, as are other readers of these forums. Thanks for sharing your interpretation. I hope this clears up false misleading and irrelevant info I posted, if any. Lol.

Lastly, we reserve the right to shut off or even reduce the DSC/tips, at any point, in keeping with current industry standards, which are currently $15-$16.50 per person, per day based on cruise line. No one charges $20 except NCL. I wonder why that would be?

From NCL.

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional

So basically, we're not 'tipping' but rather subsidizing wages. I just prepay the DSC and think of it as part of the cruise fare. I tip the wait staff in the specialty dining as well as the steward, along with a dollar per drink for the bar tenders. I also tip tour guides/drivers on excursions, and anyone else on board who go above and beyond.

2 minutes ago, dachengdao said:

So basically, we're not 'tipping' but rather subsidizing wages. I just prepay the DSC and think of it as part of the cruise fare. I tip the wait staff in the specialty dining as well as the steward, along with a dollar per drink for the bar tenders. I also tip tour guides/drivers on excursions, and anyone else on board who go above and beyond.

I don't know what we are doing because the cruise lines are not up front and open about it. Notwithstanding, That is very generous. We don't tip wait staff in the specialty dining venues over and above the mandatory 20% service charge that NCL collects. Once in a while, we tip a bartender that delivers over and above service - it is much much less than $1 per drink. Yes, we also tip for tours provided.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2023 at 9:49 AM, Clairescurtains said:

Yes. I would tip for every drink. Waiters a buck a drink. Bartenders from $1-$5 per service. We are creatures of habit and by Day 2, our drinks are being made, with a nod of the head, before we get to the bar. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, dachengdao said:

100% you’re subsidizing wages just like at home. Do you realize that in New York the minimum wage is $15/hour. But if you work in a tipped job, your employer can pay as little as $4.75/hour??? And that the first $10 per hour in tips go to getting you up to minimum wage?  Just minimum wage. Which is hard when customers leave a buck for a $20 breakfast. 

It also goes to pay for the beer and wine at monthly crew parties in the crew bar. 
IMG_4754.thumb.jpeg.f6be6a944133a862ee81f09916baf8ec.jpegIMG_4753.thumb.jpeg.1f7ea7a6ee89b4c425c38ea4a0821233.jpeg

And bikes to ride around port cities in. 
IMG_4761.thumb.jpeg.67c80c86f361a846e8156f4af46996dc.jpeg

And OBC for hero awards selected for recognitions. Or specialty dinners. 

And of course, gratuities to the crew. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

100% you’re subsidizing wages just like at home. Do you realize that in New York the minimum wage is $15/hour. But if you work in a tipped job, your employer can pay as little as $4.75/hour??? And that the first $10 per hour in tips go to getting you up to minimum wage?  Just minimum wage. Which is hard when customers leave a buck for a $20 breakfast. 

It also goes to pay for the beer and wine at monthly crew parties in the crew bar. 

And bikes to ride around port cities in. 

And OBC for hero awards selected for recognitions. Or specialty dinners. 

And of course, gratuities to the crew. 

Thanks for posting, Bird!  This actually makes me feel better about the DSC.

Lots of posts/threads on this topic on almost every cruise line.  Yes, the daily service charge gets pooled.  Fact.  When every crew person signs their short-term contract they are given a per day salary (which may or not specify the # hours per day) but will also include a guaranteed per day gratuity amount…it will also include a clause if daily service charges exceed they will be equally divided amongst crew.  So, if a lot of people go to guest services and reduce or eliminate their daily service charge…it is not going to affect the contracted crew.  If lots of people tip extra via a check (and not a cash tip in hand) then it probably just offsets those passengers who reduced/eliminated their DSC.  If you really want to make sure a crew member gets $$ then give it to them in cash.  Cash is still king.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Lots of posts/threads on this topic on almost every cruise line.  Yes, the daily service charge gets pooled.  Fact.  When every crew person signs their short-term contract they are given a per day salary (which may or not specify the # hours per day) but will also include a guaranteed per day gratuity amount…it will also include a clause if daily service charges exceed they will be equally divided amongst crew.  So, if a lot of people go to guest services and reduce or eliminate their daily service charge…it is not going to affect the contracted crew.  If lots of people tip extra via a check (and not a cash tip in hand) then it probably just offsets those passengers who reduced/eliminated their DSC.  If you really want to make sure a crew member gets $$ then give it to them in cash.  Cash is still king.

So like the NY diner example above, a crew member really wants to get more than their contract amount. When people stiff them by removing DSC, they won’t get anything more than their contract. Remembering that they work 10 hours a day, often split shifts (working in a restaurant until 11 at night, the being up to bus tables in the buffet at 6 am), 7 days a week. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DZcreature said:

Thank you for this. I feel that MoCruiseFan insisting the DSC has nothing to do with tips is misleading to new cruisers. Of course it does. The DSC was invented to make it easier for the cruisers, so they do not have to run around the last night with tip envelopes. That said, I do tip drink servers and my room steward extra, and wait staff when I do my free Sapphire specialty dining. It is true that, technically speaking, NCL does not call the DSC tips. 

I also like to hear what others tip. It gives me a general idea of where to start when I do choose to tip extra. It would never occur to me to tip for laundry, but I kind of like the idea of leaving five dollars in the basket when my laundry is returned promptly and in good condition. 

I try not to get involved in tipping threads, but sometimes just feel the need to state my opinion.

It is not misleading at all.  Nowhere in the description of the DSC does it even hint tht is is or that it replaces tipping.  Insisting tha the DSC is a tip is indeed very misleading.  At best it is used an excuse by many to not tip for service that IMHO anyway should be tipped.  To each his own though.  I tip what I want, when I want, and to whom I want and I do not at all make that decision based on what others may or may not tip.

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

So like the NY diner example above, a crew member really wants to get more than their contract amount. When people stiff them by removing DSC, they won’t get anything more than their contract. Remembering that they work 10 hours a day, often split shifts (working in a restaurant until 11 at night, the being up to bus tables in the buffet at 6 am), 7 days a week. 

It is tough work, no doubt about it.  I am not sure that I could do that even back in my able bodied days!

• Like 1