Ship Luggage?

RJB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Good idea?   Is there any companies that Oceania uses?   Or any that anyone has used?  Thank you for any help.  

Hi,

We ship our luggage all the time..I use luggage forward and have never had a problem..its so wonderful not to have to stop and get it when you get off the flight...yes it is pricy but to us worth every penny not to worry about my husband picking it up...and hurting himself..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

34 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Hi,

We ship our luggage all the time..I use luggage forward and have never had a problem..its so wonderful not to have to stop and get it when you get off the flight...yes it is pricy but to us worth every penny not to worry about my husband picking it up...and hurting himself..

Jancruz1

We have used Luggage Free and were very pleased with their service. When Heathrow was having luggage issues last summer and fall, we had the peace of mind in knowing our item would arrive.  We also place apple air tags in both all carry on and checked pieces. I was able to track in real time and it was great,

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JHLH821 said:

We have used Luggage Free and were very pleased with their service. When Heathrow was having luggage issues last summer and fall, we had the peace of mind in knowing our item would arrive.  We also place apple air tags in both all carry on and checked pieces. I was able to track in real time and it was great,

Unfortunately, I used Luggage free for 5 years and this year had three problems one luggage sent to wrong place, two they left a another piece in the rain and ruined it and three they never showed up to pick our luggage up from the ship in March to send it home when I called there was an hour wait for us at the port for them to come......thats why I switched to Luggage Forward..

Jancruz1

59 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Unfortunately, I used Luggage free for 5 years and this year had three problems one luggage sent to wrong place, two they left a another piece in the rain and ruined it and three they never showed up to pick our luggage up from the ship in March to send it home when I called there was an hour wait for us at the port for them to come......thats why I switched to Luggage Forward..

Jancruz1

this is good to know for the future

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Good idea?   Is there any companies that Oceania uses?   Or any that anyone has used?  Thank you for any help.  

We used Luggage Forward 5 years ago, and never, never again.  Instead of handling our bags themselves, they sub-contracted to UPS and local courier services, yielding a bad case of "your mileage may vary".

The courier in Seattle gave no updates, so we lost track of our bags between UPS saying our bags were delivered to the courier on Wed until they turned up aboard after our ship had sailed on Sat.

Upon return to Seattle, the courier failed to show up to collect our bags.

1 hour ago, A Knitter said:

Luggage forward, not Luggage free (too many problems)  Also put an air tag in the luggage so you always know where it is especially during boarding.  No problems with Luggage Forward

An AirTag would have eased our paranoia with our bags still MIA at sail-away, but wouldn't have helped much with the no-show courier at debarkation.

According to the full page ad in the Oceania cruise booklet I just received:
www.LuggageForward.com/Oceania

It says the service is available to/from more than 150 ports of call.

I have no experience with doing this.  For $2000 RT, we can carry our own bags (and know where they are!). That’s why luggage has wheels.

Edited by Wynterwynd
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, A Knitter said:

Luggage forward, not Luggage free (too many problems)  Also put an air tag in the luggage so you always know where it is especially during boarding.  No problems with Luggage Forward

Oh I am so sorry..Of course you are correct..I wish their names were not so similar..

Hope yo are well Maria..miss talking to you!!n hopingto come to the desert in June or July, will let you know we can have dinner!!

Jancruz1

46 minutes ago, Wynterwynd said:

According to the full page ad in the Oceania cruise booklet I just received:
www.LuggageForward.com/Oceania

It says the service is available to/from more than 150 ports of call.

I have no experience with doing this.  For $2000 RT, we can carry our own bags (and know where they are!). That’s why luggage has wheels.

Well for us at our age, its worth it and we can afford it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, A Knitter said:

Well for us at our age, its worth it and we can afford it.

I understand. I can carry your bags for half the price, lol!  But depending on how long you’re cruising and connections, etc., I can see where it would be an advantage, if it’s reliable.

3 minutes ago, Wynterwynd said:

I understand. I can carry your bags for half the price, lol!  But depending on how long you’re cruising and connections, etc., I can see where it would be an advantage, if it’s reliable.

LOL  Will let you know when our next cruise is.  For example, I went to Kenya many years ago and picked up a Oceania cruise from Rome which was cheaper than a flight home.  I used Luggage Forward for the first time and my Luggage went to the hotel in Rome before I took off from LAX.  I was hooked from then on. 

Yes, I used luggage forward with no problems November 2022 from Austin to Los Angeles. I had read on these boards that there can be problems with shipping luggage if you put anything in your luggage that isn’t clothes or shoes. No toiletries, no aerosol, nothing, nothing.! Word to the wise! (Plus Air tags!)

I used Luggage Free to ship our luggage from California to Ravenna, Italy for a cruise in October 2022.   It took only four days to reach Ravenna. It was great to board the ship and have our luggage delivered to our suite.  We used Samsung Smart Tags, so always knew where our luggage was.  I will definitely use a luggage service again. 

The only downside was that no liquids, no lotions, no aerosols, no toothpaste, etc. were allowed in the luggage, as @PhD-iva said.  That meant that we had to carry them in our carry-on luggage and comply with rules requiring them to be carried in a one-quart bag.  While we had TSA Pre-check leaving LAX and our liquids were not questioned, we were examined very closely at CDG in Paris and they made sure we did not have more than the one quart bag of liquids.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Twiga said:

we were examined very closely at CDG in Paris and they made sure we did not have more than the one quart bag of liquids.  

We had a similar experience at Heathrow.  The agents were very particular about how much liquids were allowed.  There was one lady ahead of me who kept trying to fit her hair gel in the small bag, but it would not fit, and she had to throw it away.  

I had my own problem, since hydrogen peroxide had leaked onto some of my toiletries, so I had to throw out any items it had leaked on.  

5 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I had my own problem, since hydrogen peroxide had leaked onto some of my toiletries, so I had to throw out any items it had leaked on.  

Bummer! I bring hydrogen peroxide wioes

I thank you all for your answers.  Sure gives us some thought which way we should go.  A big shout to Jancruz for letting us know of her past dealings with some of these company's.  good and bad. 

We have used Luggage Forward and have never had any issues. Last year I saw a company called Send My Bag and used this company to ship luggage to Oslo, Norway before our Baltic Cruise. The luggage sat in Norway customs for seven days and I could not get any help from Send My Bag to have the luggage released. Finally, with the Oceania cruise departing in five hours I took a taxi to the DHL offices as I could see on the airtag that is where the luggage was sitting. Within five minutes of arrival, the luggage was released to me. Send My Bag had told me for the five days we were in Oslo and trying to get the luggage DO NOT GO TO THE DHL offices!!!  If I had not done this, we would have not had luggage for the Baltic Cruise.

Long story but short answer is DO NOT USE Send My Bag even though the prices are half of other companies.

On 6/1/2023 at 5:03 PM, Lane412000 said:

We have used Luggage Forward and have never had any issues. Last year I saw a company called Send My Bag and used this company to ship luggage to Oslo, Norway before our Baltic Cruise. The luggage sat in Norway customs for seven days and I could not get any help from Send My Bag to have the luggage released. Finally, with the Oceania cruise departing in five hours I took a taxi to the DHL offices as I could see on the airtag that is where the luggage was sitting. Within five minutes of arrival, the luggage was released to me. Send My Bag had told me for the five days we were in Oslo and trying to get the luggage DO NOT GO TO THE DHL offices!!!  If I had not done this, we would have not had luggage for the Baltic Cruise.

Long story but short answer is DO NOT USE Send My Bag even though the prices are half of other companies.

Half price or even free is not good if you don't get your luggage.  Will go with the most reliable. Also thanks for all your answers.  As we get older it becomes  harder to drag those heavy bags.