August Travel - NY vs. Orlando

It might be better to look at the ports. Oasis class does the 7 day trips to PC, Coco Cay, and Nassau. More Caribbean ports from PC.  Other cruises from NJ do Bermuda.  Just look for something you want to do. 

Key is where do you live.  I'm in NJ and love sailing out of Bayonne as it's so much easier to embark and disembark.  With disembark, I'm home in 25 minutes from garage.  If you haven't sailed out of New York, you are missing a fantastic view of the NYC skyline.

I posted my reply based on my experience while I lived in Ct , and had more than a dozen cruises out of Bayonne on Explorer in the winter time, some doing the 7 day cruise like Oasis is now doing.  Also had 2 Trans Atlantic cruises that ended in Manhattan.

BTW, when Explorer left for Fl, so did I.

Edited by mo&fran

We cruise in August most every summer due to school schedules and pricing. We've left from NJ, MD, FL and PR over the past 15 years. This year, we are leaving from Miami on the 12th and Norfolk on the 27th.

Only once have we had weather-related issues, in 2015 on Adventure out of San Juan. Our itinerary was changed twice due to two different storms. Luckily, leaving from San Juan, there are a lot of options. We ended up in Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao with beautiful weather. We re-booked the original itinerary for the following year and got to complete it.

The northern departures don't have as many re-direction options, but at least they don't, for us anyway, require flights, so that's one fewer point of failure.

Our thinking has always been to book what we want, be flexible, and buy insurance.

Edited by cyntil8ing

One concern out of NY/NJ with hurricane season is that I have heard a few times in the past where people booked cruise thinking they were going to the Caribbean or the Bahamas but because of hurricane wound up going to Canada (Nova Scotia).

I do not believe this has happened a lot, but it is always a possibility since the cruise line reserves the right to change ports.