Topoblompo - Copper Creek train

57redbird

I already posted this on the Mexican Riviera port page but I'm wondering if anybody has done this & what your review of it is.  We were booked on this cruise when Covid cancelled it & it's now available again....TIA

We wanted to do this once too - it had very complicated scheduling as I recall as a shore excursion - very early morning departures or something. Parents did this train trip years ago - not quite a stunning as maybe the hype about it, but it remains intriguing if you are in the area.

Hope you report back when you learn more.

42 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Which port is this offered out of? Looking at our March 2024 Mexican Rivera cruise...not seeing it listed.

You need to be on a cruise that includes the Sea of Cortez. and that calls on Topolobampo, Sinaloa, Mexico.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2023 at 1:01 PM, 57redbird said:

I already posted this on the Mexican Riviera port page but I'm wondering if anybody has done this & what your review of it is.  We were booked on this cruise when Covid cancelled it & it's now available again....TIA

We did this excursion on the Zaandam Sea of Cortez many years ago.  It departs Topolobompo  pre dawn, board train in El Fuerte for an 18 hour day. We were assigned a guide and specific train car. It was well organized. I researched it and was advised to sit on the right side of the train, as the train follows the stream bed.  While others were contemplating which side of the car to sit on, we grabbed our seats on the right hand side.  We were told, don't worry, the seats are reversed going back, so you will get a good view.  Only problem, it was now dark and we were next to a rock wall on the return trip...so sit on the right going up to the canyon!  The Canyon was scenic and the meal and dancing etc. was enjoyable.  It is a spectacular excursion, but once was enough!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did this cruise a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. Yes the train ride was long but beautiful scenery. When we reached the end had an enjoyable time at the restaurant and walking the grounds. 

Enjoyed stops in La Paz and Loreto as well.

5 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I've always wanted to do this, too, and remembered this review from back a few years.

Here at post #11 @RMLincoln gave a really thorough description of their day.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2716391-copper-canyon-railroad-excursion/

Thank you @AncientWanderer!  I’m impressed that you remembered it!  I was just wondering how to go find that!  It was a memorable trip. So glad we got to do it. The excursion cost almost as much as the room (good last minute deal in an OV for us) but we’ll worth it. m-/

I believe we went r/t San Diego, could have been San Pedro. 
m—

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Thank you @AncientWanderer!  I’m impressed that you remembered it!  I was just wondering how to go find that!  It was a memorable trip. So glad we got to do it. The excursion cost almost as much as the room (good last minute deal in an OV for us) but we’ll worth it. m-/

I believe we went r/t San Diego, could have been San Pedro. 
m—

Thank you for taking the time to tell us the details of your trip! Still hope to do this someday.  (I've had good luck finding older CC posts with our friend Google.)