Please help clarify wine choices in basic vs premium drink package

Lorenky

9 minutes ago, LizzGo said:

Question - Do you now have to sign for every drink whether it is included in your package or not?

No. You only sign for upcharges and the gratuity will be included.

First time of cruising with X. We have classic drinks package but honestly. I like the odd beer and glass of winebut certainly couldnt  keep the pace of drinking alcohol all day. My wife may have a cocktail or wine with orange. There is no mention of soft drinks or coffee etc other than under the premium offering. Is that really the case?

4 minutes ago, Scotty2411 said:

First time of cruising with X. We have classic drinks package but honestly. I like the odd beer and glass of winebut certainly couldnt  keep the pace of drinking alcohol all day. My wife may have a cocktail or wine with orange. There is no mention of soft drinks or coffee etc other than under the premium offering. Is that really the case?

soft drinks are included in the classic package 

Edited by Nachosdelux
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scotty2411 said:

Check out the beverage package comparisons here...

Cheers and bon voyage

• Thanks 1

Hello again. Just confirming if we start with the basic package and just don’t like the wines, that they will let us upgrade 3 days into the cruise to the premium package? And the price only increases for the remaining days? Thanks.

5 hours ago, Lorenky said:

Hello again. Just confirming if we start with the basic package and just don’t like the wines, that they will let us upgrade 3 days into the cruise to the premium package? And the price only increases for the remaining days? Thanks.

Yes, they will... and that is correct.

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SSFrance69 said:

What about Evian water? Is this also a case of pay the difference between the canned water and that?

Yes and quite a bit more plus extra gratuities. Honestly, I really do not see the logic in the extra gratuity but its their rules. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lorenky said:

Don’t get too excited about the “premium” wines.  When we sailed last in March they were out of several reds by the glass and every bar had different stock.  We had several wine stewards try to suggest substitute wines in the classic package.  If you want something better, be prepared to pay the price difference over the premium price point.  We finally just paid a little extra by the glass or drank cocktails.  Life is to short to drink bad wine, especially on vacation!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, SSFrance69 said:

What about Evian water? Is this also a case of pay the difference between the canned water and that?

No, any non-alcohol drinks that are not covered under the classic package aren't covered at all so you pay full price plus gratuity.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

Don’t get too excited about the “premium” wines.  When we sailed last in March they were out of several reds by the glass and every bar had different stock.  We had several wine stewards try to suggest substitute wines in the classic package.  If you want something better, be prepared to pay the price difference over the premium price point.  We finally just paid a little extra by the glass or drank cocktails.  Life is too short to drink bad wine, especially on vacation!

This was our exact experience in March 2023 on the Reflection. This was the first time in 10 years we had trouble finding a decent glass onboard Celebrity. 

Moving forward, we’ll skip the beverage package and just buy wine by the bottle. Also plan on bringing a few good bottles aboard upon embarkation. It’s not a huge issue, but it’s important to manage expectations.

• Like 2

That’s a good point. Does anyone recall how many you can bring on board. Not sure myself but did read that they confiscate ( for collection at end of cruise) if you have too many. Also is there is a corkage charge if you drink in your cabin. 

4 hours ago, Scotty2411 said:

That’s a good point. Does anyone recall how many you can bring on board. Not sure myself but did read that they confiscate ( for collection at end of cruise) if you have too many. Also is there is a corkage charge if you drink in your cabin. 

I'm Elite Plus and rarely buy a drinks package. Last time was on the Eclipse May 2022 to Hawaii and they did not have a great premium selection.  I paid the upcharge twice for some decent cabs but mostly drank their Elegance cab or pinot noir.  I also bring onboard 2 bottles of excellent wine from my own wine Cellar plus my TA always gifts me a couple nice bottles.  No corkage charge to drink in your cabin and each person of drinking age can bring 2 bottles.

Edited by drakes2
Spelling

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 8:29 PM, Lorenky said:

Hello. We are sailing on Celebrity Reflection next April. We got the all inclusive package which includes the classic drink package. For alcoholic beverages we primarily drink red wine, particularly cabernet sauvignon, pinot noir, merlot, red blends. We don’t need to buy a premium package to get high end wines but we do want a choice of decent reds. Is this offered in the dining areas and lounges within the classic package? I read some things that seemed to indicate red wine choices were very limited in the classic package and didn’t seem to include the common types of reds we enjoy? Thanks for the clarification. 

It all depends on what you consider a premium wine. Most wines available on the Classic plan average out to about $10-$15 a bottle at retail prices. Premium package wines are in the $15-$25 a bottle neighborhood. If you really want to drink something nice, you will need to bring it with you or buy a bottle. I am not saying there in not something on either beverage list that is tasty but when I read the words "high end wines", I think you may be getting your hopes up a bit much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

It all depends on what you consider a premium wine. Most wines available on the Classic plan average out to about $10-$15 a bottle at retail prices. Premium package wines are in the $15-$25 a bottle neighborhood. If you really want to drink something nice, you will need to bring it with you or buy a bottle. I am not saying there in not something on either beverage list that is tasty but when I read the words "high end wines", I think you may be getting your hopes up a bit much.

There are no high end wines on premium package. Better to bring your own or purchase a bottle onboard.  I've never seen anything in premium package that retails for $25.  

6 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

If it’s AI then no you can’t without repricing at current rates to cruise only . You can’t change on board 

Good point about the repricing.  I was thinking just a set difference in price not a total repricing.  Hummm,  I'll have to think harder now.

I do like it that Celebrity allows  2 bottles of wine per cabin as I understand it.  We like some wines that are in the range of $10 to $15 in retail stores onshore  in US and those are our selections for the bottles/cabin.  It is taste to us, not price.  

What I don't like about Celebrity's  drink packages is it seems they cannot stock sufficient quantities of 'premium' package wines.  We were drinking a Decoy Cab that was on premium package and by 3 day they were out.  Somehow they found some/got some on 6th day as I recall.   I am sure there were other selections that were out too.

Have heard the same about liquors and beers.

I am sure it is a challenge to have the broad spectrum of brands people want, but that is Celebrity's challenge based on the  price they charge.  

4 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

I do like it that Celebrity allows  2 bottles of wine per cabin as I understand it.  We like some wines that are in the range of $10 to $15 in retail stores onshore  in US and those are our selections for the bottles/cabin.  It is taste to us, not price.  

What I don't like about Celebrity's  drink packages is it seems they cannot stock sufficient quantities of 'premium' package wines.  We were drinking a Decoy Cab that was on premium package and by 3 day they were out.  Somehow they found some/got some on 6th day as I recall.   I am sure there were other selections that were out too.

Have heard the same about liquors and beers.

I am sure it is a challenge to have the broad spectrum of brands people want, but that is Celebrity's challenge based on the  price they charge.  

Agree. It is a lot per day even for the basic package. Charging more than city centre London prices - and that tops the  whole of the UK ( barring probably the more illustrious hotel establishment). I suppose it’s not every day your on a cruise however so it is what it is. 

On 6/5/2023 at 9:59 AM, LizzGo said:

Also, our experience with X has been that once our Sommelier in MDR and also Cellar Masters found out we enjoyed nice wine they would often find something not on the menu. So the upgrade was totally worth it. Plus the premium spirits were much better.

This has been my experience as well.