NCL Dawn poor performance by room steward so far

SpainAlien

1.  I do expect.the room and bathroom to be cleaned AFTER the previous guest leaves.

2. So rooms are not ready on embarkation until after 3pm and as late as5 pm or after? Isn't the average available time on other cruise lines around 1 - 2 pm?

3pm -5pm seems kinda of late to be able access the room I paid for, some rooms are quite a bit money.  

3. I don't expect 2 services a day, BUT, I do expect once a day, just a quick sweep thru./ wipe down.  Pick up dirty towels  empty trash, straighten the bed.

4.  I do expect clean towels EVERY day.  I'm ok if the attendant leaves extra clean towels for me. 

5.  I pick up after myself, a room attendant does not have to put my personal stuff away.

I don't think the list above is not ⁶asking too much from a steward.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cruiser52forever said:

2. So rooms are not ready on embarkation until after 3pm and as late as5 pm or after? Isn't the average available time on other cruise lines around 1 - 2 pm?

I don't know anything about other cruise lines, but most hotels I stay in have checkin times of 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

• Like 4

On 6/4/2023 at 4:15 AM, SpainAlien said:

I boarded yesterday and duly waited for the 3pm announcement that my cabin was ready.  Unfortunately mine wasn't actually ready until 5pm and even then there was 1/2 a bottle of water from the last guest in the fridge, all the daily print outs from the last cruise were in the rack with the room service menu, the sink hadn't been cleaned and there was some sort of foam dried on to the shower head.

Clearly my steward was running late for some reason and ran out of time before actually finishing the job, hopefully when he makes up the room today he will catch up.

Had you actually talked to your cabin steward and asked him to address any issues you are experiencing, you would have probably gotten a lot quicker resolution than by posting here on CC.  I hope everything gets addressed and that you have a fantastic cruise going forward.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I don't know anything about other cruise lines, but most hotels I stay in have checkin times of 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

But then you can also stay in your room until 11 or 12 the final day. Which obviously is a lot later than on the ships.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That's with checkout times much later than on the ships

Ones we use in Southampton are 12pm out, 3pm in 

NCL wants everyone out of cabins by 8am, most cabins are vacated well before that with people heading off early.  

NCL used to be around 1-2pm many would board with cabins ready now most won't 

On  the UK embarkation everyone has to wait as last check in can be 2pm(4pm departure) or 3pm(5pm).

• Like 2

On 6/5/2023 at 10:19 AM, laudergayle said:

That is NCLs new cost cutting initiative.  Reusable Dailies.

they are not dailies any longer.

they are now “weeklies” and they are being printed on the backs of CVS receipts, for your convenience.

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Had you actually talked to your cabin steward and asked him to address any issues you are experiencing, you would have probably gotten a lot quicker resolution than by posting here on CC.  I hope everything gets addressed and that you have a fantastic cruise going forward.

Exactly.  Service here was unacceptable, period.  I haven't cruised since the switch to once daily servicing but I'd imagine this is a direct or indirect result of that, though there's no excuse.  If it were me, I'd consider it a very big deal but I would have called the steward's number (presumably still provided by the phone?) or called Guest Services first.  Give them an opportunity to quickly make things right before turning to CC. 

It would be interesting to learn whether poor service continued throughout the cruise or if this was an aberration.

10 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Exactly.  Service here was unacceptable, period.  I haven't cruised since the switch to once daily servicing but I'd imagine this is a direct or indirect result of that, though there's no excuse.  If it were me, I'd consider it a very big deal but I would have called the steward's number (presumably still provided by the phone?) or called Guest Services first.  Give them an opportunity to quickly make things right before turning to CC. 

It would be interesting to learn whether poor service continued throughout the cruise or if this was an aberration.

OP did report this to NCL.  They were still waiting for their bathroom to be cleaned on day 2, so I would say this is not quick.  But whether they had made things right or not has nothing to do with the OP coming to CC to post their experience.  Plenty of us really like the data point, and the OP was only informing, not complaining

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

OP did report this to NCL.  They were still waiting for their bathroom to be cleaned on day 2, so I would say this is not quick.  But whether they had made things right or not has nothing to do with the OP coming to CC to post their experience.  Plenty of us really like the data point, and the OP was only informing, not complaining

They said they reported it day two after returning from going ashore, 24hrs after the cabin should have been ready day 1..

15 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You did read post #94 where the OP said  "My room steward vanished and did not answer the phone, I finally managed to catch up with him at about 3pm on Day 2. "?

It is not like they did not try to contact the steward.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pete_coach said:

You did read post #94 where the OP said  "My room steward vanished and did not answer the phone, I finally managed to catch up with him at about 3pm on Day 2. "?

It is not like they did not try to contact the steward.

They should have escalated on day 1, not wait 24hours after the room should have been ready.

Still not clear why the towels have not been changed(unless I missed a post)

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 6:22 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Just did two cruises with Royal Caribbean, larger ships than Dawn, on both cruises our cabin was clean and ready at 1:15 PM on day one.

39 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Just did two cruises with Royal Caribbean, larger ships than Dawn, on both cruises our cabin was clean and ready at 1:15 PM on day one.

That's nice if you had some compelling reason to be in your cabin the first few hours of a cruise.  Personally, that's the last place I want to be, but I'm apparently in the minority.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That's nice if you had some compelling reason to be in your cabin the first few hours of a cruise.  Personally, that's the last place I want to be, but I'm apparently in the minority.  

Just to drop off our carryon stuff, hate to take that stuff with us to lunch.  The last thing I want to do is carry luggage to lunch.  Wonder if I am in the minority on that one.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

Just to drop off our carryon stuff, hate to take that stuff with us to lunch.  The last thing I want to do is carry luggage to lunch.  Wonder if I am in the minority on that one.

I'm right with you there. 

As to cleaning a cabin twice a day....do people clean their homes twice a day?

I also don't toss a towel into the laundry "just because I dried myself off with it once".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/9/2023 at 9:16 PM, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

I'd rather deal with the constant complainers than the cheerleading troll who are so superior to us mere mortals, and so unforgiving of any post they disagree with. They are truly ruining this site. 

And I'd rather deal with positive, cheerful people who look for the upside to things and don't allow minor issues to ruin their, and everyone else's vacation. This as opposed to Debbie Downers whose only purpose in life seems to be to carp, whine and complain about everything like it's the end of the world. But hey, that's just me. If you want to join the constant complainers, have at it! 😉

• Like 2

On 6/10/2023 at 6:22 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

So your admitted ignorance precludes you from comparing NCL to any other cruise lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just read this TR: @dcipjr was very happy with the cruise but noted that the steward seemed to have too many rooms. Sadly appears to be a fleet-wide cost cutting measure.😐

Edited by KKB

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Exactly.  When have I posted anything comparing NCL to other cruise lines?  Why don't you review all of my posts and report back:

ChiefMateJRK's Content (cruisecritic.com)

I believe you, the point is you have no idea how NCL compares to other lines, so you have no idea how good or bad NCL is.

29 minutes ago, mugtech said:

I believe you, the point is you have no idea how NCL compares to other lines, so you have no idea how good or bad NCL is.

So what?  I have a great time on NCL cruises and have no reason to roll the dice.  Unlike some, I highly respect the opinions of other experienced cruisers (at least those who display a sense of humor and seem to enjoy life), and we have an ample supply of such seasoned NCL cruisers (cheerleaders?) right here in this forum.😎

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mugtech said:

You might be.  My carryon "luggage" consists of a backpack.  I just toss it on the seat of my booth in the Local next to me and immediately begin enjoying my cruise.  On the Bliss in April, our cabins were immediately available when we boarded at 10:00 am.  I still just went straight to the local for my first beer.  We made it to the cabin eventually (I honestly don't remember when).  I get it that some find this unacceptable, but "hate" is a pretty strong word.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You might be.  My carryon "luggage" consists of a backpack.  I just toss it on the seat of my booth in the Local next to me and immediately begin enjoying my cruise.  On the Bliss in April, our cabins were immediately available when we boarded at 10:00 am.  I still just went straight to the local for my first beer.  We made it to the cabin eventually (I honestly don't remember when).  I get it that some find this unacceptable, but "hate" is a pretty strong word.

Mark me up as someone who likes to drop off his carry-on bag as soon as possible.  There have been a few times that we have had to carry our bags to lunch with us on embarkation day, but as often as not we have been able to stop by or room first.  There even have been a few times when we managed to sneak into our room even before the rooms were officially open for occupancy.  We usually try to travel light, also, but in cold weather there are jackets, hats, and maybe umbrellas that we prefer to drop off as soon as we can.

2 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Mark me up as someone who likes to drop off his carry-on bag as soon as possible.  There have been a few times that we have had to carry our bags to lunch with us on embarkation day, but as often as not we have been able to stop by or room first.  There even have been a few times when we managed to sneak into our room even before the rooms were officially open for occupancy.  We usually try to travel light, also, but in cold weather there are jackets, hats, and maybe umbrellas that we prefer to drop off as soon as we can.

Add me to the drop off list.  I don't get to the ship until around 12:30 to 1:00 with the hope that the rooms will be ready or shortly ready.  I'd rather sleep in/relax until hotel check out time than check in at the port and wait for boarding to begin.  Looks like the days of walking straight to the room are gone, but It only took two beers in the district brew house before my room was ready on my last cruise

15 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

Looks like the days of walking straight to the room are gone, but It only took two beers in the district brew house before my room was ready on my last cruise

This is how cabin waiting times are to be measured for all future cruises.  My first cruise in April had a nominal two beer wait, but that's because I had two beers at lunch even though the cabin was ready.  The next cruise (second leg of the B2B) had a negative 63 beer wait, because my cabin was ready seven days ago.  Most cruises run about a two to three beer wait.

• Haha 4