Alaska cruise

SW.FloridaPhil

Six of one, a half dozen of the other.

There might be a difference in air fares.  You might check that, and, if there is a difference, then use that as your decision maker.

If you plan to fly in the day before embarkation, you might check Anchorage/Vancouver hotel rates.

1 hour ago, snoozecrooze said:

If you want to do a cruisetour or an independent land trip, do the land portion first and then use the southbound cruise to wind down.

I agree with this and I also really don't like boarding in Vancouver.

• Like 1

Currently onboard the Majestic from Whittier to Vancouver.  I enjoy the southbound since I can get the long flight done pre-cruise and take the shorter flight home at the end.  Boarding in Whittier was easy, probably the easiest I've done in the past 15 cruises.  It was much like boarding at a port stop, as there was not a large cruise terminal.  

2 hours ago, SW.FloridaPhil said:

Anchorage to Vancouver, or Vancouver to Anchorage?????

Being from FL we had limited flights to and from Anchorage.  We ended up with an 8:30 pm flight home.  We did a tour on the way back and got to the airport around 3 - the big issue is that no one is at the check in desks until an hour before the flight so we were stuck on the outside of security.  One restaurant available to get something to eat and tons of people for the few chairs.  I am assuming leaving from Vancouver would have more flights available and at least someone manning the desks earlier

Pay attention to the itinerary.  This year some of the ships have itineraries that stop in Skagway on the Northbound and not on the Southbound.  The Southbound stops in in Icy Straight Point.  Not sure about years following.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dar & Bob said:

I would disagree - read my response above. 

Flights were definitely not an easy I agree. For me coming from South Florida, I had tomfly in a day before due to the limited flights available flying out to to both Anchorage and Vancouver. As for when it's time to go home, it was the same issue, flights from both airports back to Florida were all late night flights only to fly home day of. This is why for me at least I said would make no difference with which port to start from. 

The only difference might be whether you want the sun in your room in the morning or afternoon.I like sunsets and I am not up for sunrises so I would on the room and on the side of the ship to give me PM sun.

DON

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

I agree with this and I also really don't like boarding in Vancouver.

Neither.  I would do a round trip from Vancouver.  I agree, boarding in Whittier (Anchorage) is a snap.  But getting there is a bear.  

On 6/4/2023 at 11:15 AM, XBGuy said:

If you plan to fly in the day before embarkation, you might check Anchorage/Vancouver hotel rates.

I would hope in the current air travel state we’re in (pilot shortages, air traffic controller shortages, reduced number of flights) that everyone plans for an overnight before their cruise.   

with that being said, I don’t know about Anchorage hotels, but Vancouvers gone through the roof.  We used to (pre-pandemic) drive up to Vancouver frequently for long weekends.  All of the hotels seem to be charging 2x-3x the rate now.  Haven’t been able to find anything reasonable in the last 6 months of searching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1