Maitre d’

Nicole&Pete

Hello all,

I know Princess has changed the name of this role, it’s something like food and beverage manager, reservations manager or something like that. Can someone please let me know? And is there one for each restaurant?

The Assistant Maitre'd is now called the Lido Manager.  Head Waiters are now called Restaurant Managers.

Personally, I preferred the old titles.  With the title changes also came salary reductions.

• Like 3

I have a friend that was recently "promoted" to Assistant Maitre d'.  He is responsible for anything on the Lido Deck (buffet, grill, pizza, ice cream, juice bar), specialty restaurants, IC, and room service.

There is an Assistant Manage (aka Head Waiter) that is in charge of each dining room computer and his assistant/receptionist.  Then there are several (6-8) Assistant Managers within each MDR.  

Food and Beverage Officer

Maître d'hôtel

Assistant Maître d'hôtel

Assistant Manager

Waiter

Jr. Waiter

32 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

The Assistant Maitre'd is now called the Lido Manager.  Head Waiters are now called Restaurant Managers.

Personally, I preferred the old titles.  With the title changes also came salary reductions.

8 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Thank you both, so is there one restaurant manager for each restaurant?

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

I have a friend that was recently "promoted" to Assistant Maitre d'.  He is responsible for anything on the Lido Deck (buffet, grill, pizza, ice cream, juice bar), specialty restaurants, IC, and room service.

There is an Assistant Manage (aka Head Waiter) that is in charge of each dining room computer and his assistant/receptionist.  Then there are several (6-8) Assistant Managers within each MDR.  

Food and Beverage Officer

Maître d'hôtel

Assistant Maître d'hôtel

Assistant Manager

Waiter

Jr. Waiter

Right, thank you, so they are called assistant managers or is it assistant restaurant managers?

Also you mention a juice bar, is there one of these on the Sky Princess and does the soda package cover this?

thanks so much

5 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Right, thank you, so they are called assistant managers or is it assistant restaurant managers?

Also you mention a juice bar, is there one of these on the Sky Princess and does the soda package cover this?

thanks so much

Assistant Restaurant Manager....is too long to fit on their name tag (lol).  

Can't speak for the Sky. On the Grand class ships, it is "usually" housed with the ice cream place....only up until noon.  Don't know about the soda package (verses Plus/Premier).

Not trying to nit-pick this, but below are the current titles onboard in red as it relates to the chain-of command:

Food and Beverage Officer       Food & Beverage Director

Maître d'hôtel                              Director of Restaurant Operations

Assistant Maître d'hôtel            Lido Manager

Assistant Manager                     Restaurant Manager (and yes, each           (Formerly Headwaiters)          restaurant has a "Manager"

Supervisor                                   Assistant Restaurant Manager

Waiter

Jr. Waiter

For many years now, there has been a Supervisor level between a Waiter and a Headwaiter.

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

The new Princess.  Improvement through mediocrity and stiffing the staff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kay S said:

The new Princess.  Improvement through mediocrity and stiffing the staff.

Many were not happy with the reduction of salary and it has caused quite a number to move over to other cruise lines.  We know several of them.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Not trying to nit-pick this, but below are the current titles onboard in red as it relates to the chain-of command:

Food and Beverage Officer       Food & Beverage Director

Maître d'hôtel                              Director of Restaurant Operations

Assistant Maître d'hôtel            Lido Manager

Assistant Manager                     Restaurant Manager (and yes, each           (Formerly Headwaiters)          restaurant has a "Manager"

Supervisor                                   Assistant Restaurant Manager

Waiter

Jr. Waiter

For many years now, there has been a Supervisor level between a Waiter and a Headwaiter.

It's hard to tell the players without a program.

In the evening, Supervisors are often dressed the same as headwaiters.

Once, I was ready to call Guiness, when I thought I saw a female Headwaiter.

But, someone set me straight ... she was a supervisor.

There is rumored to be at least one female headwaiter.

And, with regard to the above list ... I think there was some change to Jr. Waiter.  But, I don't remember the details.

And, at the very bottom is "Buffet Steward"

And, sometimes in the dining room, there is 'runner'.  But, I don't think that is there actual title.

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

Assistant Restaurant Manager....is too long to fit on their name tag (lol).  

Can't speak for the Sky. On the Grand class ships, it is "usually" housed with the ice cream place....only up until noon.  Don't know about the soda package (verses Plus/Premier).

Thank you very much

10 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

There is rumored to be at least one female headwaiter.

There are now many female Managers (Headwaiters).  There was a female Maitre'd (Oana from Romania), since the startup she now has a corporate position going ship to ship training crew.  She was most recently on the Sky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Many were not happy with the reduction of salary and it has caused quite a number to move over to other cruise lines. 

That has been my observation as well.

When the ships entered service after covid ... crew working with the reduction of salary, and the reduced capacity were not making enough to bother with. People even quit in the middle of their contracts.

Several went to Virgin...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Several went to Virgin...

A few of those have moved on from Virgin.  The pasture was not any greener.  One returned to Princess, another moved on to MSC, a third is now on a privately owned mega-yacht.

6 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

A few of those have moved on from Virgin.  The pasture was not any greener.  One returned to Princess, another moved on to MSC, a third is now on a privately owned mega-yacht.

What's wierd:

I know 3 people who were called back to princess, were dissatisfied with the new pay, and moved on...

And yet, I know another person who is still waiting to be called back to princess.

I'm guessing it's a covid vaccine thing, but I don't really know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Many were not happy with the reduction of salary and it has caused quite a number to move over to other cruise lines.  We know several of them.

Salary reductions are often directly in pace with salary increases for the higher positions which, naturally, don't actually do anything. It always seems to be the case that, the less you actually contribute, the higher your pay. If you actually have to work for a living you are usually at the bottom of the pay scale.

• Like 1

Maitre d' does not hold "office hours" like they used to pre-covid.  I don't know what your specific issue is, but ONE MDR is usually open on embarkation day.  It was pretty hectic the last time.  More and more passengers are discovering this wonderful way to start the cruise.

Look for a person (male/female) with a Green Jacket.  They will be the Assistant Manager for that particular MDR.  I don't know if the will be able to help you with your "pre-Assigned/reserved MDR.  I have not seen the Maitre d' at lunch.  I do see him in the buffet in the morning.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Maitre d' does not hold "office hours" like they used to pre-covid.  I don't know what your specific issue is, but ONE MDR is usually open on embarkation day.  It was pretty hectic the last time.  More and more passengers are discovering this wonderful way to start the cruise.

Look for a person (male/female) with a Green Jacket.  They will be the Assistant Manager for that particular MDR.  I don't know if the will be able to help you with your "pre-Assigned/reserved MDR.  I have not seen the Maitre d' at lunch.  I do see him in the buffet in the morning.

Thats probably because everyone recommends it on here lol! 

Thanks for your help on this 

• Like 1