Boarding Caribbean Princess in Quebec ... late at night

cr8tiv1

I just got off of "live chat" with an agent that totally caused me stress.  

Simple question:  If my EZ Air flight arrives late in the evening, will I be able to checkin/board the ship since she is overnighting in Quebec?

A - You need to check your personalizer.

Me - Why?

A - Check your boarding time.

Me - I don't have a boarding time...too far out.

A - You have a flight that will determine your boarding time.

Me - I want to change my EZ Air, but before I do, I want to confirm that I will be allowed to check in at 11 PM.  

A - You need to change your flight and then see.

Me - No...No...No...you don't seem to understand.

I rarely hang up on anyone.  I thanked her, told her she didn't understand, and closed the window before receiving a reply.

So my question to those doing a cruise starting out of Quebec.... (and by the way, why is it so hard to get a flight to Quebec from the West Coast?????).

If I book a flight that arrives after 10 PM on the same day the CB arrives (but does not depart until the following day):

1.  Will I be allowed to board her at any time of the night?

2.  Will I be able to get a Princess Transfer from YQB to the ship?

3.  Will I get my luggage that night?

Planning this trip has NOT been fun.

Thank you all.

We do not ask those phone folks, at the cruise line, anything.  Their knowledge if often limited to what is on the scripts they can bring-up on their monitors.   You are not likely to get a good answer to your question from anyone at Princess, and it would not matter what they say since it will be up to the folks on the ship how they deal with the situation.  But, I suspect if you arrive hours late there will not likely be anyone waiting at the airport to handle the transfer (at least that is my educated guess) so you would simply need to grab a taxi (and pay the cost).  If you have included Princess transfers, you can later go to Guest Relations and ask to be reimbursed (good luck with that).

In your case we would simply take a taxi to the port (with our luggage) and try to get on the ship.  We have seen similar situations on other ships, and there are usually some quick calls between security and the Guest Relations desk and the passenger is ultimately checked-in at Guest Relations.  It is doubtful that you would be turned away :).

I will add that DW and I are very independent travelers and are used to dealing with issues "on the fly."  Since you have booked through EZ-Air, you have every right to feel optimistic about the situation you have described.  But keep in mind that the transfers (from airport to ship) are handled by a third-party shore contractor, so if they are not waiting at the airport, just shake it off and get yourself to the ship.

Hank

• Like 1

This cruise boards on day 1, overnights and then departs on the evening of day 2. Yes you will be allowed to board and go to your cabin whenever you arrive. The ship will know your flight times and will be expecting you. If you have a Princess transfer to the ship and there is no one there to greet you simply take a cab and get a receipt, you will be reimbursed.

It is a shame that people answering the phones for Princess don't have a clue. That goes for some people on these boards too.

I knew it!  Should have come here first.  Thank you @Hlitner and @Colorado Coasty.

I really was optimistically hoping that Princess would have been more knowledgable.  I should know better. One day, I will learn not to "trust" Princess.  It was a good run with them pre-covid.

I have to put my faith in EZ Air (aka Princess) that if they are allowing to book a flight that:  1.  I will make my connections and 2. I will be able to settle in to my cabin (regardless of my arrival time).

@skents The previous passengers will have vacated my room by 8 AM on the day that I arrive at night.  I know that for a fact.  It's the other stuff that I was hoping to have confirmation from Princess.  

Now, to hear from those that have done this.  Would like to know the nitty gritty of hows and whats.

4 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Are you on a sailing with an overnight embarkation in Quebec?

Yes, the Caribbean Princess arrives in the afternoon, overnights, old passengers disembark, new passengers embark AND spend the first night on the ship in Quebec.

Hello cr8tiv1; Have you checked schedules into Montreal? There is pretty good rail service from there to Quebec City, Just over a 3 hour trip, at least 4 trains a day, also bus service about 3 hours. Both rail and bus arrive just a few blocks from the cruise terminal. That may be better than a long layover at another airport and get you to the ship earlier.

Fair winds

dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, westwind6371 said:

Hello cr8tiv1; Have you checked schedules into Montreal? There is pretty good rail service from there to Quebec City, Just over a 3 hour trip, at least 4 trains a day, also bus service about 3 hours. Both rail and bus arrive just a few blocks from the cruise terminal. That may be better than a long layover at another airport and get you to the ship earlier.

Fair winds

dave

This.

Or renting a car from Montreal to Quebec City is another option...

Many thanks to all that replied.  

I am looking at every conceivable option.  Going to create a spread sheet with every possible way of getting to Quebec with costs.

Unfortunately, it is not only me.  I have to take into account my travel mate who has some restrictions.

I would love to take the train.  No baggage service and they have "assured" me that there would be someone to help me lift my 50 pound luggage into the main compartment.  Not convinced.  

I travel a lot domestically and internationally. I have flown west to east...never had this much trouble getting into one city in a timely manner.  

If I were traveling alone, I would take a red eye and arrive in the morning.  Not an option.  

Others I have spoken to are also having trouble since there is NO direct flight into Quebec.  

I will get there one way or another.  Was hoping would hear of a magical solution.

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Many thanks to all that replied.  

I am looking at every conceivable option.  Going to create a spread sheet with every possible way of getting to Quebec with costs.

Unfortunately, it is not only me.  I have to take into account my travel mate who has some restrictions.

I would love to take the train.  No baggage service and they have "assured" me that there would be someone to help me lift my 50 pound luggage into the main compartment.  Not convinced.  

I travel a lot domestically and internationally. I have flown west to east...never had this much trouble getting into one city in a timely manner.  

If I were traveling alone, I would take a red eye and arrive in the morning.  Not an option.  

Others I have spoken to are also having trouble since there is NO direct flight into Quebec.  

I will get there one way or another.  Was hoping would hear of a magical solution.

There are definitely people to assist with luggage in Montreal Via Rail.   I asked a porter for assistance and he happily took our bags to the train and stowed them in our carriage.   Arrival in Quebec a staff member offloaded our  bags and we rolled them to our hotel across the street.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Any first hand experience with Princess Transfer from Montreal to Quebec?

Staying in Old Montreal.  Is Gare the closest Via Rail Station?  

Did not use the Princess transfer.   Flying from San Diego to Montreal have us more options than flying into Quebec, plus the price was considerably less.   We flew 1st class booked thru EZAir.  Stayed at Hotel Le Dauphin.  The hotel was extremely clean, adults only, breakfast included, restaurants nearby and walkable to Gare.  We chose to take a cab as it was uphill, uneven pavements, construction and a wheeled bag with issues.   $10 for cab.  Would definitely do the train again.   We travelled Business Class which included lounge access, priority boarding and meal onboard the train.   Would not hesitate to do it again.   We travelled October 2022.

Edited by kiwimum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

More questions than answers:

How many would recommend flying in day of cruise (ship will still overnight) or fly in the NIGHT  before?  It is October.

I looked at a YQB map.  Looking at hotel recommendations between airport and cruise terminal (rather than the other side of the airport).

Hotel with a shuttle service from YQB would be a bonus.  One to the cruise terminal would be icing on the cake.

I have not cruised out of Quebec, but I have been to Canada multiple times as husband is a skier. There is nothing like flying in to quaint little Quebec when it is full of snow and ice, and the old city is quite historic and very lovely.  However, flights are always connections so we have to review schedules (via Toronto, or Quebec, or NY, or Detroit, etc.). We have also taken trains many times up to Canada via Montreal, then rented cars, but we no longer haul the skis.  Quebec is a smaller destination, and flights are more limited.

Yes, you can probably board late at night, but who wants to?  Is there a reason why you want to lose almost one complete day of your cruise?  Can't you leave the day before and then overnight somewhere (maybe even the airport) so you can board the ship early the first day of the cruise? The glorious hotel Chateau Frontenac is worth the trip to Quebec in itself just to stay there a few days! You should most definitely try to arrive the night before--being October makes no difference. 

I have responded to many other threads on CC regarding flights, so please know that EZAir only does what you tell it to! "Putting your faith in EZAir" is futile and a misplaced hope.  You have to do some flight research on your own, and you make decisions that you think are the best, but you must be realistic.  You are flying across the continent, and even the best-made plans need back-ups.

Best wishes and have a great cruise!

• Thanks 1