Live from Viking Saturn June 7-21 NYC-Canada-Greenland-Iceland

CCWineLover

17 hours ago, Azulann said:

Kent, I see that an Italian Brunello is only $60.00! That is a great price for a bottle on a cruise ship!  

I will look next Monday  on the Jupiter to see if the wine list is fleet wide. 

Enjoy  enjoy,

Cheers,

Patti

Thanks, Patti!  With SSBP i believe we get a discount on the bottle price - and we have OBC's to spend so that sounds like a good use of them.  Will let you know!

Kent

The Captain did announce last evening that they were monitoring the situation with the Greenland Ice Authorities, but wanted to let us all know that currently it did not look good - a very unusually large amount of icebergs in Iceberg Alley for this time of year.  He wanted to set our expectations now and said we'd get an update daily.  Wondering when they need to make to the go/no go decision.  We all appreciated the open communication and letting us all know.  I think he used the word "challenging" to describe it.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

The Captain did announce last evening that they were monitoring the situation with the Greenland Ice Authorities, but wanted to let us all know that currently it did not look good - a very unusually large amount of icebergs in Iceberg Alley for this time of year.  He wanted to set our expectations now and said we'd get an update daily.  Wondering when they need to make to the go/no go decision.  We all appreciated the open communication and letting us all know.  I think he used the word "challenging" to describe it.

Oh no. 🤞

20 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

At lunch at World Cafe.  1st look at Wine List.  Sadly, most wines are by the bottle so SSBP does not really get you much.  Nearly every category has 1 wine by the glass and all others have to be purchased by bottle.  Will be drinking Coppola Zin this trip.  Which isn’t bad, but the only USA red available by glass.

IMG_3882.thumb.jpeg.738d0d0729ab1b85593cdb42335b2f81.jpeg

LOL to see wine list as one of your first posts on board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Safe Sailing Kent.  Hopefully you get out of the smoke quickly.  Just 436 more days for us and we will be sailing this journey from Iceland to NYC.  Will look forward to many posts and insights on your voyage.  Thanks for starting this thread.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I was on the May 23rd Iceland to NYC cruise. Two Greenland pilots boarded the ship in Isafjordur and were "stuck" on the vessel until Halifax. I hope you have better luck than we did.  Alex and Danielle in the Explorer Lounge are the best!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RBF said:

I was on the May 23rd Iceland to NYC cruise. Two Greenland pilots boarded the ship in Isafjordur and were "stuck" on the vessel until Halifax. I hope you have better luck than we did.  Alex and Danielle in the Explorer Lounge are the best!

RBF - yes, I read and followed your Roll Call.  We have friends on Saturn as well (Russell and Gail Lee, lecturers) who also kept us updated.   I have not seen Alex nor Danielle in the Expl Lounge yet, but have seen several others there.

Captain announced 2 Greenland pilots getting on in Halifax tomorrow.  At least one good thing your group did was motivate Viking to communicate.  The Captain has been giving us many updates on how things stand (iffy) and continues to do so.  At least that's good.  Fingers crossed.

Internet for us has been the usual Viking abysmal.  Any texts with a picture fail to deliver.  Just have to use words.  Same for email.  I see no improvement there.

Love the open windows in the pool deck area though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We are planning to do Greenland as part of the new Into the Northwest Passage itinerary on Octantis.  Hope the expedition ships will have better luck traversing the icebergs!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

That's different.  Never saw chess table and missing ship models in glass display boxes.

I noticed the missing ships in glass cases too! In fact, the decor design looks incomplete. Not the usual comfy couches and chairs with nice pillows and throws.

2 hours ago, RBF said:

Is that Alex who used to be on Venus?  Oh I hope if it is he stays until late August he made our last cruise on Viking

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Is that Alex who used to be on Venus?  Oh I hope if it is he stays until late August he made our last cruise on Viking

Will look for him and Danielle.

We reunited with Adrian, who remembered us from Venus last summer.  He does drinks at WC-was in CT before.  

• Like 1

Had our first lecture with Russell Lee at 2:30.  Top notch as always!  Full of energy and had the crowd spellbound!  A  Rock Star!

I’ve got our Meet &Minglw coordinated with CD Verity Brown for tonight at 6:30 in Wintergarden.  Viking has been great in the organizational help!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I noticed the missing ships in glass cases too! In fact, the decor design looks incomplete. Not the usual comfy couches and chairs with nice pillows and throws.

I see comfy couches and pillows, just no throws. 

20 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I see comfy couches and pillows, just no throws. 

Nothing colorful. I’ll have to scour my pictures for previous upper lounge decor. This looks pretty bland to me!

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2023 at 10:02 AM, CCWineLover said:

This is the wine list you can order from.  Anywhere.  There is a red, white, and sparkling wine of the day each day at lunch and dinner that’s is “free”.  For example here is todays included red.  

Are included wines listed on the wine menu, or are those all extra (for purchase by glass or bottle or available on SSBP)?

Hope your meet & mingle was as successful as ours in December, Kent!

I’m surprised you’ll be able to dock in Nova Scotia due to heir fires. But then with Greenland being iffy… it’s a shame if you’re the second cruise to miss it. But great that the captain is really communicating. Wildfires, smoke filtering out over half the US, icebergs where they’re not supposed to be in June… I think climate change is definitely here, folks. And you can’t even enjoy your favorite wines by the glass to drown your sorrows in! What’s the world coming to?! 😁😉

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Maybe it’s the reflections and sparkle from the model ships under glass. Here’s a picture from the website

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/content/oceans-360/start.html

Select Deck 8

The model ships seemed to divide the space into 3 cosy sections.  What struck me about Saturn photo is the room looked very open and minimalist.  

On 6/7/2023 at 7:55 PM, CCWineLover said:

Joe - no La Planta here.  But just had the Coppola Zin.  Very good!!!

here’s another wine list page.  I’ll get them all posted soon.

We've just left Viking Sea in Athens from Barcelona.  The wine list was identical to the one in March when we did the trans Atlantic.  The La Planta is very good.  We also liked the San Leonino chianti, but if you like zinfandel you might also like the B&G offering which I believe is a côtes du Rhône.  We did do the wine tasting on the first half of the cruise and the Brunello was part of that (not as good as the chianti IMHO).  There is also at least one other sangiovese you can get by the glass with SSBP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1