Live from Viking Saturn June 7-21 NYC-Canada-Greenland-Iceland

CCWineLover

8 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Hi Kent - Great to see your blog & you bringing us along! Sorry that some of the itinerary has changed. Still a wonderful adventure! We also had Russell Lee & Verity Brown on the Neptune trans-Atlantic in December. The first thing that caught my attention aboard Neptune was the missing glass encased ship models on deck 8 of Explorers Lounge. As others have mentioned, this makes the room look a little different, less specifically nautical. This picture is from my Sky trans-Atlantic a few years ago. Those models are missed!

20200908_070427~2_47672956411553(1).jpg

Great to hear from you guys again!  We had friends from Pismo Beach on that Neptune transatlantic.  Yes Verity is a great CD.

im hearing that Neptune and Saturn have very similar changes to decor.

we also miss the glass case ships!  8th floor looks like an airport longe now 😉

hoping our paths cross again on the high seas!

• Like 1

We have a wonderful new experience today:  Vikings first ever visit to Louisville, Cape Breton Island.  I can’t say enough how great Verity and her staff have been to put this together with some included excursions at the last minute!  We are visiting the old French Fortress.  Looking forward to it as we e also never been here.  
IMG_4199.thumb.jpeg.5fad20cbf11e117926fe2e6cd12f0dfd.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We have a wonderful new experience today:  Vikings first ever visit to Louisville, Cape Breton Island.  I can’t say enough how great Verity and her staff have been to put this together with some included excursions at the last minute!  We are visiting the old French Fortress.  Looking forward to it as we e also never been here.  
IMG_4199.thumb.jpeg.5fad20cbf11e117926fe2e6cd12f0dfd.jpeg

Enjoy your day in Cape Breton! We have been twice, but not to Louisburg. We go to the western part of the island at Mabou/Cheticamp/Margaree Valley/the Gaelic College for great trad music—Scottish, Irish & French. Here’s hoping there will be a few players at the French fort for you today!

21 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

News today.  Captain sadly announced the iceberg situation is still bad, so we head tomorrow for Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.  Then 4 sea days and then an extra day in Reykjavik, before resuming the original itinerary. 

Why are Viking ships (both Neptune and Saturn) having difficulty landing ports in this Canada-Greenland-Iceland route?  Would the expedition ships be better equipped/designed for this route, or it is a common problem for all other cruise lines that offer the itinerary? Or would July/August be a better time to sail?

This route (Greenland, and rest of Iceland) is on my bucket list. I am wondering if the Viking cruise is suitable for me.  Not interested in spending/repeating more time in Nova Scotia and Reykjavik than the original stop duration.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

Why are Viking ships (both Neptune and Saturn) having difficulty landing ports in this Canada-Greenland-Iceland route?  Would the expedition ships be better equipped/designed for this route, or it is a common problem for all other cruise lines that offer the itinerary? Or would July/August be a better time to sail?

This route (Greenland, and rest of Iceland) is on my bucket list. I am wondering if the Viking cruise is suitable for me.  Not interested in spending/repeating more time in Nova Scotia and Reykjavik than the original stop duration.

We sailed in September 2019 from Reykjavik to Greenland to Newfoundland. The autumn is a much better time than the spring to travel this route. Large icebergs calve off the Greenland glaciers this time of year and float south, where they collect off the Newfoundland and Labrador coast (aka “Iceberg Alley”). Apparently 2023 has been especially bad for iceberg formation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

We were told it is because the iceberg flow is staying much later than normal in this bizarre weather year!  
iceburg alley is active still in June when it usually is gone or less by May.  The question is- is this an aberration or the new normal?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes we finally met him! He asked your name.

Say hi to him from (he called me) Mr. Raymond cabin 8000.  Always helpful e.g. bringing champagne flutes and opening the free bottle from our cabin fridge and more...

Have a great trip despite the disappointment of the canceled ports.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

We sailed in September 2019 from Reykjavik to Greenland to Newfoundland. The autumn is a much better time than the spring to travel this route. Large icebergs calve off the Greenland glaciers this time of year and float south, where they collect off the Newfoundland and Labrador coast (aka “Iceberg Alley”). Apparently 2023 has been especially bad for iceberg formation.

I believe the cruise you mention was/is called In the Wake of the Vikings and was a once a year repositioning.  I had an interest in it until i followed reports where they had awful rough weather and missed ports.  Perhaps July and August are better times for the area.

35 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We were told it is because the iceberg flow is staying much later than normal in this bizarre weather year!  
iceburg alley is active still in June when it usually is gone or less by May.  The question is- is this an aberration or the new normal?

Summer Artic ice is gone. It's the new normal.

36 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Its been in the news that the Greenland glaciers are melting quicker then initially thought.  Melting glaciers calve more?  I don't know.

21 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I believe the cruise you mention was/is called In the Wake of the Vikings and was a once a year repositioning.  I had an interest in it until i followed reports where they had awful rough weather and missed ports.  Perhaps July and August are better times for the area.

You have the name right! On that cruise, we missed the Shetland Islands and one of the two Greenland stops. But we did make it to the other stop, Qaqortoq, as well as Prince Christian Sound in Greenland and L’Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland. No iceberg sightings anywhere except a few small ones in the Sound. Great trip.

Edited by SJD117
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

We did this the last year before COVID hit, and I remember we missed a couple of ports, but don’t remember the crossing being rough….anyone else?

36 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Every Viking cruise we’ve been on has missed one port. We loved In the Wake of the Vikings—ports we wouldn’t have gone to on our own, perfect balance of sea days, Viking history & “culture.” We only missed Shetland on that 2019 repositioning because the seas were too rough at the tail end of a hurricane from the Gulf (can’t remember its name but began with a D).

We’ve been trying to get back to Shetland ever since on an independent trip to include Orkney & the Highlands. We’ve booked one four times and had to cancel each one due to Covid and then our own health. Will hopefully make it in June 2024. 🤞

Very sorry this cruise is having ports impacted by icebergs. 

• Like 3

Unexpectedly wonderful included excursion today to the French Fortress at Louisville, Cape Breton Island.  Again, Viking tremendous at getting these all put together at the last minute.  Had no idea about the beauty of Cape Breton - glacier formed.  Have met so many interesting people so far.  Seems to be a more veteran traveler, travel savvy group!  Many cruise veterans and experienced!  Makes it so nice as so many go with the flow and know that traveling is an adventure and expect the unexpected!

IMG_4258.thumb.jpeg.54f80ce50854506694c25f468593313f.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

We did this the last year before COVID hit, and I remember we missed a couple of ports, but don’t remember the crossing being rough….anyone else?

Janet, you must have been on the same cruise as us. I remember some very chilly weather, and a few big waves, but not an especially rough sailing. Our TA last March across the southern pond was much bumpier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RBF said:

Say hi to him from (he called me) Mr. Raymond cabin 8000.  Always helpful e.g. bringing champagne flutes and opening the free bottle from our cabin fridge and more...

Have a great trip despite the disappointment of the canceled ports.

Thank you, Raymond.  I just spoke with Alex - and yes he remembered Me Raymond from 8000.  He said to give you his regards and hope you are doing well.  He is easily the best, most attentive bar person we e had so far!!

39 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Unexpectedly wonderful included excursion today to the French Fortress at Louisville, Cape Breton Island.  Again, Viking tremendous at getting these all put together at the last minute.  Had no idea about the beauty of Cape Breton - glacier formed.  Have met so many interesting people so far.  Seems to be a more veteran traveler, travel savvy group!  Many cruise veterans and experienced!  Makes it so nice as so many go with the flow and know that traveling is an adventure and expect the unexpected!

Ah we loved Cape Breton Island when we did a camping trip all around it oh so many years ago.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Kent, It is alway unexpected treat when a port takes you by surprise. I remember years ago going to Ephesus for the first time. I never realized how beautiful Turkey is and full of Roman ruins.

I would love to see  Cape Breton, Nova Scotia etc. 

Your cruise companions, well seasoned cruisers, sure help make it positive when  the unexpected  or lost port happens.  .

Thanks again for your reports.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Every Viking cruise we’ve been on has missed one port. We loved In the Wake of the Vikings—ports we wouldn’t have gone to on our own, perfect balance of sea days, Viking history & “culture.” We only missed Shetland on that 2019 repositioning because the seas were too rough at the tail end of a hurricane from the Gulf (can’t remember its name but began with a D).

We’ve been trying to get back to Shetland ever since on an independent trip to include Orkney & the Highlands. We’ve booked one four times and had to cancel each one due to Covid and then our own health. Will hopefully make it in June 2024. 🤞

Very sorry this cruise is having ports impacted by icebergs. 

On our Midnight Sun cruise we were so very fortunate to make the Shetlands, Orkneys and Edinburgh.  Cruises prior to ours and in previous years missed one or the other islands and i believe one cruise missed Edinburgh due to the chop making tendering too bouncy that summer.

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

We were on this sailing back in September of 2018, and it remains one of our all-time favorite cruises.  We had wonderful weather, mostly smooth(ish) seas, and we made all of the ports.   There's was some confusion at one port regarding our ability to dock due to a supply ship having our berth - I believe this was in the Faroe Islands - but the captain managed to find a spot elsewhere on the island, and buses picked us up there for our shore excursions.  The weather, combined with not missing any ports, made all the difference, I'm sure.  (We spoke so highly of this trip to friends of ours that they booked the trip for two weeks later in September, I believe for the following year.  Their experience was absolutely the opposite of ours, with miserable weather, high and rough seas, and missed ports.)

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thank you, Raymond.  I just spoke with Alex - and yes he remembered Me Raymond from 8000.  He said to give you his regards and hope you are doing well.  He is easily the best, most attentive bar person we e had so far!!

Kent, say hi to Alex from my brother (Mr James) from cabin 8002 as well.  Thanks and I will be following your blog!  Best regards.

@CCWineLover thanks for live blogging your trip! We are doing the same NYC-Reykjavik route on the August 30th sailing. I really appreciate your posting the wine lists, although I recognize they could change by the time we go, but gives me (and others) a relative idea what to expect. I was hoping you (or someone else on the trip) might also be able to post the daily schedules - especially the sea days and any special events like lobster night or that type of thing. If not as you go due to slow wi-fi, then when you get back. I know the guest speakers will change, but I'm mostly looking for what all might be happening and relatively when. 

Glad to see that Viking was able to work out the stop and excursion in Louisbourg. Travel is always an adventure and the best travelers stay flexible, sounds like the current group on Saturn is doing just that!  

• Like 3