Public Washrooms in Ketchikan, Juneau and Sitka

latebuyer

Perhaps i should be embarassed to ask this, but sometimes nature calls. Are there any public facilities at any of these ports? I assume at Mendenhall i could go at the visitors centre and possibly at raptor centre in sitka.

Yes there are. I too seem to need them in port, nothing to be embarrassed about. We find them in public buildings or some restaurants.

Edited by Ashland

If docking downtown (not Ward Cove) there are large and clearly marked public facilities right at the dock in Ketchikan.  Juneau has public facilities at the base of the Mt. Roberts (Goldbelt) Tramway.  And Sitka has public facilities in the Harrigan Centennial Center.

Both the Mendenhall Visitor's Center and the Sitka Raptor Center have facilities, but neither are downtown.

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks very much! That's good to know.

The one we use in Juneau is on Franklin Street a very tall  public building on the right side of the street down way past the Red Dog Saloon . The restroom is on the 2nd or 3rd floor. This one is my go to there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Urban trekker said:

Ashland - I think the building you are describing is the Juneau Public Library building - or if not there is a washroom there as I used it on my visit to Juneau recently.

No, I don't believe so. There were shops and a coffee place on the first floor when you enter.

On 6/6/2023 at 10:24 AM, latebuyer said:

Perhaps i should be embarassed to ask this, but sometimes nature calls. Are there any public facilities at any of these ports? I assume at Mendenhall i could go at the visitors centre and possibly at raptor centre in sitka.

I have been on the hunt (online) for tourist maps of each port that I can print out to take with us for our cruise.  I noticed that most of the major ports in Alaska also have it noted on the map where the public restrooms are located.

• 4 weeks later...

In Juneau, there is a public washroom at the base of the Mt Roberts tram. There are other facilities sprinkled throughout town that I can't exactly recall but everyone is friendly with directions. 

In Juneau, I found this Vistitor's map to be valuable for both washrooms locations and scenic walking paths.

FYI - There were so many Bald Eagles flying around Ketchikan's Creek Street! Spectacular to see our American symbol up close and in real life.

SmartSelect_20230708_081302_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, DVC Calif said:

In Juneau, there is a public washroom at the base of the Mt Roberts tram. There are other facilities sprinkled throughout town that I can't exactly recall but everyone is friendly with directions. 

In Juneau, I found this Vistitor's map to be valuable for both washrooms locations and scenic walking paths.

FYI - There were so many Bald Eagles flying around Ketchikan's Creek Street! Spectacular to see our American symbol up close and in real life.

SmartSelect_20230708_081302_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Oops, 2nd paragraph about the visitor map should be about Ketchikan. Typing on my phone and not able to edit.

On 6/6/2023 at 12:24 PM, latebuyer said:

Juneau - public library just off the main pier.

Ketchikan - tourist center on the main pier.

Sitka - railroad station downtown.