Guarantee cabin assignment question

bluesplayer

Booked on a fairly full cruise.  No upgrades are available for purchase from calling ship inventory.  Has anyone had any luck going to guest services after boarding and asking about a paid upgrade?  Thank you

Are you not liking the stateroom that was assigned to you?  Keep calling and checking up until the night before, or even the morning of the cruise.  Inventory comes and goes.  We were able to upgrade just a few days before our cruise.  Called one day and there was nothing available.  The next day there was.  And if you can be first to board the ship, go straight to guest services and ask.  Would not hurt.  On my cruise, we also saw the signs for no upgrades available.

If truly sold out, there may not be upgrades available when you call online, but as others have suggested, keep calling so if a cancelation happens (as they do) you can snag one. I've successfully done that.

Also as others suggested, once on board (get on as early as possible) go directly to Guest Services. While they may have a sign up that there are no upgrades available, ask to be put on the list anyway - they will have a list. That sign is indicative of the cruise being classified as sold out - it does not account for inevitable No Shows, which creates upgrade opportunities. Just remember they may not be the type you're looking for. I've successfully done that.

If offered an upgrade, don't be quick to accept the first price quoted as a simple "is that the best rate?" can result in a counteroffer of a lower price. I've successfully done that, too.

Best wishes on getting what you want. Safe travels, enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Thanks 1

Remember that people (especially those with cruise insurance) often wait until the last minute to cancel, thus cabins can open up just prior to sailing.  One time I received an upsell offer to a Neptune two days prior to sailing on a Sold Out cruise and was quite surprised.  When I called to snag it, I was told that there was only one available (and it was in a great location by the way).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HAL called before our last cruise to tell us there was a Neptune available after I asked to be put on a waiting list for one.  We were in the air heading to Amsterdam, so I did not get the message until a day later.  The offer was for a handicapped accessible stateroom, so someone must have had a health problem just prior to the cruise. 😯

• Thanks 1