Travel and Cruise Showcase 2023 scam?

I got an invitation in the mail to attend a Travel and Adventure showcase in Waikiki near where I live.  I called and scheduled the reservation.  They paid for valet parking and I signed in and was led to a back conference room where there were at least 20 other participants there. I was offered a voucher whether I signed up or not and a $100 dining voucher.  The spiel was about 90 min long where the presenter spoke about his many travels in the world and even stated how one of his children had passed away and that his family travels in her honor.  Basically you can purchase different tiers VIP down to standard. VIP being $13,000 down, $199 every year for lifetime. You can also gift their services to 5 different families.  He said travel costs will rise in the future but this company will cut out the middle man like Orbitz, Travelocity, and so on and because of this they can offer hotels, cruises, rail tickets so on and so forth for 50% off the rate given on these websites. You are paying for a concierge/travel agency to book your travel through this company instead of you doing it yourself and in exchange you are saving 50% off your travel expenses. I have the time to research and book my own travel and it was not suited to my lifestyle so I declined.  They seem to target older people 40 Plus who travel. I witnessed a sweet elderly couple agree to it and fee so bad now that I've done my research after the fact.  They gave them $13,000!!  I walked out with a travel voucher with 6 different options to choose from ranging from 3.4.5 day Carnival cruises to 2 RT Airline tickets, to a 7 night condo stay anywhere in the world so on and so forth and well as a $100 dining advantage credit discount card.  I did research on that too and apparently 75% of the businesses do not honor it and say they never gave the company permission to use them. It's most BOGO offered or free bread sticks when you order from Pizza Hut stuff anyway.  I also read that they sell your information.  When I went to redeem the offer for the 7 night stay I had to agree to:  

8 Day/7 Night Multi-Destination Vacation – Valid for at least two adults, 7 nights of resort accommodations in a studio, one bedroom or two bedroom unit (based on availability) at one of over 1,000 resort properties around the world including: USA, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Europe/Atlantic Islands, Australia, Central and South America. $100.00 refundable deposit paid on activation and booking and cleaning fees of $56.86 per night ($398.02 for 7 nights) paid on confirmation. The booking agency also charges a 9% service fee at time of booking. Note that many resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean have mandatory all-inclusive plans payable at the resort on check-in and these fees are not included in the offer. In the rare event other fees apply, such as resort fees and taxes, they will be disclosed to you prior to finalizing a booking. No blackout dates, but the offer is based on availability at time of request and travel must be completed within 18 months of issue date. Transportation is not included in this offer.

So it appears there are multiple fees including DAILY cleaning fees of $56.86 Plus you have to pay a refundable $100 fee and non refundable 9% service fee.    Such a headache!   SUCH A SCAM!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I totally get your concern about scams. Last year, I almost fell for something similar, but luckily I did some research beforehand. Speaking of travel showcases, have you checked out https://tripsavannah.com/savannah-activities ? It's got some awesome recommendations for legit activities and events in Savannah. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to planning trips.

Edited by Sweetex

We rcvd it a while back, as well.  Actually  it was a time share presentation and wiat.....only $4000 to buy in.  They also claimed to get absolutely the lowest, best price on any cruise or other travel plan.  We were contemplating a cruise at the time and asked how much it would be if booked through them.  They would NOT tell us what it would cost unless we were already a "member".  Complete waste of our time!

On 3/14/2024 at 4:17 PM, Huhwhyme said:

I got an invitation in the mail to attend a Travel and Adventure showcase in Waikiki near where I live.  I called and scheduled the reservation.  They paid for valet parking and I signed in and was led to a back conference room where there were at least 20 other participants there. I was offered a voucher whether I signed up or not and a $100 dining voucher.  The spiel was about 90 min long where the presenter spoke about his many travels in the world and even stated how one of his children had passed away and that his family travels in her honor.  Basically you can purchase different tiers VIP down to standard. VIP being $13,000 down, $199 every year for lifetime. You can also gift their services to 5 different families.  He said travel costs will rise in the future but this company will cut out the middle man like Orbitz, Travelocity, and so on and because of this they can offer hotels, cruises, rail tickets so on and so forth for 50% off the rate given on these websites. You are paying for a concierge/travel agency to book your travel through this company instead of you doing it yourself and in exchange you are saving 50% off your travel expenses. I have the time to research and book my own travel and it was not suited to my lifestyle so I declined.  They seem to target older people 40 Plus who travel. I witnessed a sweet elderly couple agree to it and fee so bad now that I've done my research after the fact.  They gave them $13,000!!  I walked out with a travel voucher with 6 different options to choose from ranging from 3.4.5 day Carnival cruises to 2 RT Airline tickets, to a 7 night condo stay anywhere in the world so on and so forth and well as a $100 dining advantage credit discount card.  I did research on that too and apparently 75% of the businesses do not honor it and say they never gave the company permission to use them. It's most BOGO offered or free bread sticks when you order from Pizza Hut stuff anyway.  I also read that they sell your information.  When I went to redeem the offer for the 7 night stay I had to agree to:  

8 Day/7 Night Multi-Destination Vacation – Valid for at least two adults, 7 nights of resort accommodations in a studio, one bedroom or two bedroom unit (based on availability) at one of over 1,000 resort properties around the world including: USA, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Europe/Atlantic Islands, Australia, Central and South America. $100.00 refundable deposit paid on activation and booking and cleaning fees of $56.86 per night ($398.02 for 7 nights) paid on confirmation. The booking agency also charges a 9% service fee at time of booking. Note that many resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean have mandatory all-inclusive plans payable at the resort on check-in and these fees are not included in the offer. In the rare event other fees apply, such as resort fees and taxes, they will be disclosed to you prior to finalizing a booking. No blackout dates, but the offer is based on availability at time of request and travel must be completed within 18 months of issue date. Transportation is not included in this offer.

So it appears there are multiple fees including DAILY cleaning fees of $56.86 Plus you have to pay a refundable $100 fee and non refundable 9% service fee.    Such a headache!   SUCH A SCAM!

Longest paragraph in CC history!  😃  Fortunately, your last sentence accurately summarized!  

I'm having a hard time reading this thread.  I can't believe people are asking people to report back on what they found out.  Just don't.  Period.  These SCAMS are targeted at seniors.  Go back to your common sense, "if it sounds too good to be true".  Throw it in the trash and don't look back.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKJonesy said:

I'm having a hard time reading this thread.  I can't believe people are asking people to report back on what they found out.  Just don't.  Period.  These SCAMS are targeted at seniors.  Go back to your common sense, "if it sounds too good to be true".  Throw it in the trash and don't look back.  

Yes. Yes. Yes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

One correction---throw it into your recycle bin as junk mail can be recycled.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2024 at 5:22 AM, AKJonesy said:

"if it sounds too good to be true"

This one simple concept would eliminate a lot of scams and deceptive sales pitches.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ParrotLoverInParadise said:

Well at least she gave details, which I really appreciated!

Uh oh.  I had hoped it was recognized as a good natured jest. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 9:54 PM, ParrotLoverInParadise said:

I got an 'invitation' today from "Hawaii Travel & Adventure Show". Upon closer inspection the fine print says they are not affiliated with any of the cruise ships listed. The fine print also says you get a free 8 days 7 nights cruise with for 2 adults in a spacious stateroom, all meals, snacks, and on-board activities and entertainment for 2 adults. This suspicious offer also states that it is "not a timeshare or a real estate solicitation"

IMG_0537.jpeg

IMG_0539.jpeg

I just got this exact mailing today for 2024. I knew something was off because it was addressed to both me and my husband, who passed away November 2022. I googled the number and address, and nothing came up at all! This just sounds sketchy and scammy. I'm glad someone from Reddit referred me to this website and I'm able to see that it isn't worth it for what you get.