Booking accessible Sky Suite when not needed

zitsky

6 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I've not seen that case mentioned.  After final payment all bets are off and Celebrity is going to sell the remaining inventory to whomever they can.  If you need an accessible cabin you surely should be booking before final payment.   This is the case of any limited cabin class, it's not guaranteed to be available as a last minute booking.

In the case you quoted it was assigned as a MoveUp upgrade obviously after final payment.

The other case you mentioned was "My TA said “look I have accessible cabins available on 1/2/25”".  You TA has visibility to all available cabins.  It was them not Celebrity who was claiming it was available to you.   I'm very sue if you searched for the category on the Celebrity site without the "accessible" check box checked you wouldn't have been offered an accessible cabin.

My only issue is your "if you need a disabled cabin surely you should be booking before final payment". Disabled passengers have exactly the same issues regarding early and late bookings as everyone else - e.g. work, medical issues, family circumstances.

We would never accept an adapted cabin under any circumstances and indeed have turned down a free upgrade to one twice. My wife has mobility issues and uses a walker but as long as she is able to manage in a regular cabin we will do so. We travel with friends who use wheelchairs and for whom an adapted cabin is essential.

No it's or buts for us an  adapted cabin is for passengers with a genuine need.

My final payment date was fairly arbitrary and maybe too far out.  I just meant that at some point in time Celebrity has to be able to sell the empty cabin if someone/anyone is willing to pay for it.   We probably don't completely agree on the subject but I believe we certainly do on this particular instance.

It sounds like your TA was going to check the box saying you needed one whether you did or didn't, just to give you the extra space if that's what you wanted. The TA was going to break the rules for accessible cabins. Not your fault - you didn't know what the rules were. I blame the TA for this one. As others have mentioned, you were previously given the accessible cabin because it was a MoveUp situation and no one who needed it had booked it after final payment and at that point Celebrity gives them to everybody in order to fill the ship. I am currently booked in an accessible sky suite myself for a July cruise because I booked a suite guarantee and that's what Celebrity gave me since it was after final payment when they assigned it to me. I don't need an accessible cabin, either. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

You may want to reach out to Celebrity to ask them to stop selling accessible cabins to pax who did not ask for them.

On 5/28/2023 at 4:29 PM, thebutlerdidit said:

No swimsuits or coverups. You can wear skirt, slacks or jeans with stylish tops.  🙄 

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

You may want to reach out to Celebrity to ask them to stop selling accessible cabins to pax who did not ask for them.

OMG is that how you justify your booking this cabin?

There are so few accessible cabins that booking one when not needed is just greedy!

If you did a MoveUp and it was assigned, that wasn't your choice and that is different than doing it on purpose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The reason why Accessible Sky Suites are available for move up is because if you do a move up bid from an accessible veranda Celebrity will not guarantee that they will only move you up into an accessible cabin. How hard can it really be to offer move up bids to accessible Sky Suites to passenger who are already in accessible cabins? People who actually need accessible cabins always must pay full price because they must book early (cannot wait to take advantage of lower prices after final payment or last-minute bookings because all accessible cabins might be gone) and cannot take advantage of guarantee cabin pricing or move up bids.

Edited by DUTRAVEL
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 5:22 PM, zitsky said:

Sure I can do that - what's the name of your TA?

1 minute ago, DUTRAVEL said:

The reason why Accessible Sky Suites are available for move up is because if you do a move up bid from an accessible veranda Celebrity will not guarantee that they will only move you up into an accessible cabin. How hard can it really be to offer move up bids to accessible Sky Suites to passenger who are already in accessible cabins? People who actually need accessible cabins always must pay full price because they must book early (cannot wait to take advantage of lower prices after final payment or last-minute bookings because all accessible cabins might be gone) and cannot take advantage of guaranty cabin pricing or move up bids.

This is another way X makes money. They squeeze everything they can out of everyone they can. If you book a Miltary fare on their website, they will adjust the discount on the second passenger fare so you don't get the full $100 pp off. You have to do that with a travel agent to take full advantage of the military discount and make sure you have a fare in place BEFORE you request the military discount. 

Always about the $$$$.

On 6/8/2023 at 5:03 PM, zitsky said:

I’m trying to understand why I ended up in an accessible cabin on the Beyond, when I didn’t ask for one.

Not referring to you - talking in general about people who book one way ahead of time not needed.

22 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

The reason why Accessible Sky Suites are available for move up is because if you do a move up bid from an accessible veranda Celebrity will not guarantee that they will only move you up into an accessible cabin. How hard can it really be to offer move up bids to accessible Sky Suites to passenger who are already in accessible cabins? People who actually need accessible cabins always must pay full price because they must book early (cannot wait to take advantage of lower prices after final payment or last-minute bookings because all accessible cabins might be gone) and cannot take advantage of guarantee cabin pricing or move up bids.

You're not wrong in your statement.  At the same time, most of us pay full price anyway.  I've bid on move-ups multiple times - never won one.  Yes I could do a guarantee but I never would because some of the locations aren't the best.  These days you are lucky to find deals - past final payment or not (not always, but not usually).  So at the end of the day, this particular issue really isn't that big of one compared to those not needing handicapped rooms.  

As to how hard - have you dealt with Celebrity's IT talents???

I have an adult disabled daughter and it is very difficult to book an accessible cabin for 3. We can never bid for an upgrade or do a guarantee cabin because Celebrity will not promise an accessible cabin. It is impossible to go on a last minute cruise. Thus, I am shocked and saddened that a TA would offer an accessible cabin. When booking we do have to say we need one. Yes, the cabin is bigger, but it is not really useable space and there are downsides. There is little room in the bathroom to put things because the sink is accessible. There is also less storage in the cabins to allow for accessibility. The rods in closets are low and it makes hanging long times difficult. Water does go everywhere when using the shower because there is no lip. We require an accessible cabin for our daughter with cerebral palsy who can not stand, so we accept the downsides. The automatic doors are great for us when pushing the wheelchair, but not fun when one of us is coming in/out and the door remains open. If you do not need an accessible cabin, do not book one. Honestly, there is really no advantage to having one if you do not need it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CinciCruise said:

I have an adult disabled daughter and it is very difficult to book an accessible cabin for 3. We can never bid for an upgrade or do a guarantee cabin because Celebrity will not promise an accessible cabin. It is impossible to go on a last minute cruise. Thus, I am shocked and saddened that a TA would offer an accessible cabin. When booking we do have to say we need one. Yes, the cabin is bigger, but it is not really useable space and there are downsides. There is little room in the bathroom to put things because the sink is accessible. There is also less storage in the cabins to allow for accessibility. The rods in closets are low and it makes hanging long times difficult. Water does go everywhere when using the shower because there is no lip. We require an accessible cabin for our daughter with cerebral palsy who can not stand, so we accept the downsides. The automatic doors are great for us when pushing the wheelchair, but not fun when one of us is coming in/out and the door remains open. If you do not need an accessible cabin, do not book one. Honestly, there is really no advantage to having one if you do not need it. 

I’ve learned from this thread and I am not trying to take anything from anyone.  

• Like 1