Crab Shack Is Back

sirclean

I was curious about that too, since trade with Russia is off the table.  Apparently the answer is Norway, where it turned out to be an invasive species.  Here's an interesting article.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/20/crab-22-how-norways-fisheries-got-rich-but-on-an-invasive-species#:~:text=In parts of northern Norway,over Norway's native fish species.

On 6/9/2023 at 10:15 AM, JGmf said:

Formal nights with that mess?

We were just off of The Grand Princess June 3-10, and they started it back up that voyage, too.  However, it wasn't on formal night.  It was on Friday, the last evening of the cruise.  We didn't do it, but it looked pretty full when I walked by later.

They are not yet doing a good job marketing it.  I suggested that they put it on The Wake Show, but they didnt.  They had some people walk around and try to sign people up, but as it hasnt been out for a while, and the vast majority of the ship are first time cruisers (and even some gold and red may not have had experience with a Crab Shack), I just dont think that people know what it is. 

I m glad that I got in on the first seating!  Bibs right out of the package!  The next round will have to use laundered bibs (which are cloth, and large!)

On 6/11/2023 at 7:00 PM, miagirl said:

I was curious about that too, since trade with Russia is off the table.  Apparently the answer is Norway, where it turned out to be an invasive species.  Here's an interesting article.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/20/crab-22-how-norways-fisheries-got-rich-but-on-an-invasive-species#:~:text=In parts of northern Norway,over Norway's native fish species.

I hope N. America’s crabs have relocated somewhere too.

The collapse in the N. American fisheries has been incredible and alarming.  Last year I believe it was Snow Crab that survey counts dropped by 90% - and this year it was King crab.  Really scary unless they’ve moved elsewhere

Does anyone know - how do you make reservations for the Crab Shack?

We wanted to go a few years back, but they stopped doing it on our last cruise on the Crown, and then we went into the shutdown.  Glad it’s back!

Edited by WAvoyager

You can sign up with the roving people that come by, or call the Dine Line.

We made reservations at Sabatini's the night before.  However, something went wrong and we didnt get the reservation done. But as it was the first time they did it, the word wasnt out, and there was plenty of room.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2023 at 4:00 AM, miagirl said:

Apparently the answer is Norway, where it turned out to be an invasive species.  Here's an interesting article.

Yes.

And these are the 2023 prices in Norway (example restaurant in Skarsvag, North Cape) :
Screenshot2023-06-1400_45_30.png.612c68061c864c13ff6af4084e7bf4ed.png
750,- NOK is about 70 USD. Meal with sides, including tax. Fresh from the boat.

So way less expensive than in Alaska.

572_IMG_7663.thumb.JPG.9c77da7fb8e8bfe667ed3a225fae7512.JPG

573_IMG_7667.thumb.JPG.fc389e1d96cc6c6cb729e097e04bb3cf.JPG

576_IMG_7678a.thumb.jpg.2642e73953783efe70b1428d2248028f.jpg

577_IMG_7680.thumb.JPG.b0f79a8c228a4d148133506bc27ffa87.JPG

Edited by EDVM96

2 hours ago, behappy11 said:

Looks delish. Any photos?

The popcorn shrimp and hush puppies was more hush puppies and not a lot of shrimp.  We got the Alaskan seafood chowder. And most of us paid extra and got our own buckets instead of sharing.

I didn't take pictures of the desserts nor the Alaskan seafood pot.

20230613_110801.jpg

20230613_112932.jpg

20230613_115001.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

My DH would love this, but I don’t eat shellfish, so not interested. Can we reserve just for one of us? Would I be able to get food from the buffet to keep him company? It sounds like this is served in the buffet?

We successfully did this pre-covid.  3 Crab Shack diners and one buffet diner.  No problem at all.  Can't speak to today's results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Pluto_fan said:

@Orange Yuzu Do you recall which night this was?  We're embarking on Sapphire Princess next Wednesday and will be keeping an eye out for this!

They offered crab shack during lunch time (12 to 1:30) at Sabatini's on Sapphire for the 2 sea days we had going southbound from Whittier. One of the initial first 2 scenic cruising days... I forgot which one... and the other right after Ketchikan before Vancouver.

Maybe @sirclean can confirm which of the 2 scenic cruising days they did crab shack.

Edited by Orange Yuzu
Added hours

On 6/9/2023 at 5:15 PM, EmilyColwell said:

Hopefully will be on my Discovery Alaskan cruise in September. We have a couple of premium restaurant credits to use.

It was not on the Discovery last week.  Tracy's crab shack had king crab for $70 lb

The Crab Shack was on the Sea Days. The first was on Day 2  which would have been the Hubbard glacier (which was later in the day- IF i remember my glacier names).  and the other was Day 6 (the day after Ketchican).

• Thanks 1

The Crab Shack is currently showing as part of the included AND specialty dining on the Princess website. It's only offered on specific ships according to the website. I was able to see it listed for the Ruby when I clicked on Booked Guests, Access Cruise Personalizer, select the Dining icon at the top,  then scroll down.  It's listed in two spots but currently not showing any additional information. 

image.thumb.png.c387e8b3a900ef24ee0fed57430cbef6.png

image.thumb.png.325f2cde0a003e448ee7b9771df2ea15.png

• 6 months later...