Wine at dinner?

golf4me2010

What’s the best option for my wife to order wine at dinner? We will most likely upgrade to P+ so all options will be on the dinner table, ha. 

Is it best to just order a glass or two via the package? Some wines don’t seem available by the glass so in that case do you order a bottle which is at a discount? Do they hold it for the next night? Any additional fees?

if we use another dining venue the next night it may just be more of a pain.

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

The best option by far is to bring your own, there is no corkage fee with the free at sea drink package. 

Is there a limit as to how many bottles can be brought on board? 

we are boarding the ship in Lisbon, Portugal and will probably look for a nice Sangria and moscato for the wife. 😁

3 minutes ago, UCLAman said:

Is there a limit as to how many bottles can be brought on board? 

we are boarding the ship in Lisbon, Portugal and will probably look for a nice Sangria and moscato for the wife. 😁

Nope, no limit. We usually bring a bottle for each day we cruise. Premium Plus has some good but not great wines (like the Duckhorn Merlot and Silverado Cab) but you will always do better bringing your own. It is definitely not worth upgrading to Premium Plus just for the wine, you will do MUCH better bringing your own. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, golf4me2010 said:

What’s the best option for my wife to order wine at dinner? We will most likely upgrade to P+ so all options will be on the dinner table, ha. 

Is it best to just order a glass or two via the package? Some wines don’t seem available by the glass so in that case do you order a bottle which is at a discount? Do they hold it for the next night? Any additional fees?

Thanks.

A good option from the NCL wine list is using your 40% off to purchase good wine.

Upgrading to P+ the wine list isn't great, but you can get almost liquor store prices for Jordan. Can get a Don Melchor too.

49 minutes ago, chillyw said:

A good option from the NCL wine list is using your 40% off to purchase good wine.

Upgrading to P+ the wine list isn't great, but you can get almost liquor store prices for Jordan. Can get a Don Melchor too.

The problem is that NCL marks up their wine by more than 50%. 

• Like 1

Between the other decent booze on the P+ list and Starbucks may be worth it for us.

Some wines don’t look like you can get by the glass so I guess the 40% off is best?

Do they hold the bottle for you if not done? Might not be back the next night though.

1 hour ago, golf4me2010 said:

Between the other decent booze on the P+ list and Starbucks may be worth it for us.

Some wines don’t look like you can get by the glass so I guess the 40% off is best?

Do they hold the bottle for you if not done? Might not be back the next night though.

Yes, they will hold your bottle and give you a ticket, they will retrieve your wine at any venue.

On 6/10/2023 at 7:36 AM, golf4me2010 said:

Thanks.

The current "program" for Premium Plus is that you can get any of the bottles at dinner that are already offered by the glass.  This does allow you to get wines above $15/glass, but aside from not having to wait on staff to bring you another glass, that is now the Free bottle of wines at dinner benefit. 

If you purchase any bottles you will get 40% discount, which is pretty good.  If you do not finish that bottle, they will tag it for you and you can finish the next evening.  Just notify your restaurant before you get there and they will have the bottle ready for you.  Not a problem at all!

11 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Potential first time cruiser on Norwegian. On other cruise lines we had no problem IF we had wine leftover and they brought us the bottle the next night. Does this happen on Norwegian?

on the regular drink package, they will hold your bottle of wine if you don't finish.  The wine stewed will give you a card with your name and cabin number. Present the card to the wine steward on your next seating ( for any restaurant).  They will go and collect your unfinished bottle ( may take 5 min to retrieve it) and then bring it to your table.  

We are ok with the white wines by the glass.  But as mentioned it is far better to carry on your favorite reds IMHO. 

Also if you have no drink package, the Viva Vino package is a good option if you do not want to carryon and pay corkage.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Yes, they will hold your bottle and give you a ticket, they will retrieve your wine at any venue.

Thank you pointing this out @mjkacmom ! So on embarkation day, do we have the bottles in a bag or put them into our luggage? I know it’s probably a silly question but we are embarking in Lisbon, Portugal and our plan is to do an early arrival time check in and drop off our bags. But before we board we are doing a 4 hour city tour.

So the question is put them into the luggage so the bottles get on board without us OR bring them with us when board the ship even though we have already checked in?? 

I’m new to this brining wine bottles onboard concept so TIA for the response(s)!

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

In the past, if wine was put in checked luggage it meant a trip to the naughty room to get them.

Ok, so then you suggest to bring them in a bag and give them to who? Upon check in?

just trying to figure out my game plan as we leave this Tuesday. 

Edited by UCLAman

10 minutes ago, UCLAman said:

Ok, so then you suggest to bring them in a bag and give them to who? Upon check in?

just trying to figure out my game plan as we leave this Tuesday. 

I’d check it then and just expect a phone call, I don’t know how busy the room gets but you won’t have to pay corkage at least.