Not to be missed.....ports

kutchyone

If this is a pinned topic or if this has been discussed extensively please provide a link to those threads.

Getting prepared to select excursion for the ports we will be visiting on our cruise.  Based on the knowledge and experiences of this group of cruisers I was wondering what is the DO NOT MISS for each of the ports listed.  I assume some will be better for whale watching while others for bears.  Some for touring the port city/town while others totem poles.  I will be travelling with my 63 year old sister, our first visit, and we are no longer up to hiking, kayaking, or small raft type boats. 

Ketchikan

Sitka

Juneau

Victoria

Any and all guidance would be appreciated.  We are sailing with RCCL on the Quantum of the Seas.  

Thanks in advance. 

Ketch: Crab boat tour.

Sitka: Bird refuge. 

Juneau: glacier helo (pricy but worth it) or whale watch. 

Victoria: Likely quick stop so don't bother with tour. 

Notes: wont see bears unless in mid-late Sept or in zoo like settings. Look for tours on youtube. Someone has done a video on just about every tour that there is. 

sightcrr

21 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey sightcrr, where is the bird refuge in Sitka?

I wonder about that too, but suspect it was a reference to the Alaska Raptor Center.

But to respond to our OP all of these communities have visitor's centers which can easily be found using google.

Briefly, Ketchikan is known for totem poles and flight seeing to Misty Fjords.  Sitka has lots of history, more totem poles and a strong Tlingit presence; there are also some lovely marine excursions.  Popular attractions in Juneau include whale watching, Mendenhall glacier and the Goldbelt (Mt.  Roberts) Tramway.  In Victoria we like to walk to downtown and enjoy a meal at the Bard and Banker Scottish Pub.

4 hours ago, SightCRR said:

Ketch: Crab boat tour.

Sitka: Bird refuge. 

Juneau: glacier helo (pricy but worth it) or whale watch. 

Victoria: Likely quick stop so don't bother with tour. 

Notes: wont see bears unless in mid-late Sept or in zoo like settings. Look for tours on youtube. Someone has done a video on just about every tour that there is. 

sightcrr

We saw bears three different times first week of July last year. One on Tracy arm, one in Skagway along the road heading to zip line, one at Icy Straight on a wildlife excursion. 

5 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

We saw bears three different times first week of July last year. One on Tracy arm, one in Skagway along the road heading to zip line, one at Icy Straight on a wildlife excursion. 

And I saw bear 🐻 cubs by Steep Creek at Mendenhall Glacier in August. Also saw bears on a trip in May on meadows in Kenai and Misty Fjords.

Seeing bears isn't unlikely but It's hit or miss. Whale sightings on a whale watch are nearly 100% sure. Seeing a bear is more chancy.

And here's the problem inherent to your question @kutchyone Cheryl - one person's Must See is another's Meh.

Even whale-watching (which is great) does not have to be done to enjoy Juneau! Every other thing listed by SCRR wouldn't even make my top three options in any of those ports - I'd prioritise the Totem Heritage Center in Ketchikan, the Russian Bishops House in Sitka, Alaska State Museum in Juneau (but I can access significantly cheaper whale-watching in BC, WA and Oregon - if you can't fill your boots with whales at home though, I would absolutely recommend Juneau as a good port for doing it in AK), and Swan's Brewpub in Victoria (but if you have a long enough stop and have not already seen it, you'd have to really hate gardens NOT to prioritise Butchart as your big hit here...)

So - now you've got two very different lists already! The question is - which one of us shares most in common with your taste in activities? Maybe neither of us are a good match to you & your sister... We don't know anything about you unless you tell us - other than your lack of desire to do physically demanding activities, we know nothing of your tastes and preferences.

• Like 2

Thank you both. Since it's not very likely that I will see many whales in lake Erie I will have to check them out while on my cruise. Thank you both for your input. I will have to check out exactly what is the Russians Bishops house.

• Like 1

My guess is that for each of the bear sightings above all were on other tours visiting other things and or not in the ports where op is going. I'd say very lucky, fortunate and quick glances. Victoria gardens are spectacular but 30-45 min outside of town, possible lack of daylight and rushing to see things not sure it is worth the bother. If you plan to do Butchart I would do RCCL only. Don't forget about youtube but skip the ad ones and send time watching the private ones. Know before you go, Sitka National Historical Park - YouTube

Edited by SightCRR