Oceania Riviera Views Insights Libations Live Extravaganza

ORV

Greetings from onboard Riviera. If my title doesn’t make any sense it’s because it’s a little joke, those that know me will get it. Anyway, we’re off to a good start. I don’t do typical live from posts, more just random thoughts and observations. So don’t expect many pictures, especially of food, as I’m usually too busy eating it. 

First, I broke one of the cardinal rules you see posted so many times on all of the boards here. I flew in on the day of the cruise, or at least the night before. I had reasons why, I don’t need to go into, but it all worked fine, which I feel is the rule, rather than the exception. We flew from DFW to LHR by way of Toronto. This was my first time in YYZ and if I can help it my last. The complainers about it are right. But, other than an hour and half delay out of DFW everything was fine. We had premium economy on AC and it was ok. We used the Oceania air for this. 

Upon arrival at LHR at 6:30 am we were greeted by Oceania reps and taken to the Sofitel hotel at the airport and had an excellent breakfast. After that we waited a bit in a lounge and then bused to the port. We got there around 11 or so and had the smoothest check in of any Oceania cruise ever. They had 20 seated reps(yes I counted them) and various others walking around. We were on the ship in 5 to 10 minutes. We were directed to the obligatory check in at your muster station and then off for fun. After lunch we killed a little time, got specialty rez readjusted, then were able to go to our room. 

So far this doesn’t seem like a normal Oceania makeup. There are at least 4 alumni groups onboard. I noticed many folks in the 40-60 age range, which is what Oceania needs for their future. I’ve also noticed quite a few multi generational families. 

We had dinner in Toscana and it was excellent, as usual one of my favorites. I had the lasagna app and Osso Bucco main. The biggest downside to coming in the day of is lack of sleep. After the big meal we hit the bed and slept in till about 7:30, which is real rare for us. 

We have a sea day in front of us, which the Captain didn’t skip. My only complaint is that team trivia is at 10:30am in Martinis. I usually have a drink at trivia, but this is a tad early. At 11 is the future cruise presentation, which I like to go to, but may have to skip. Tonight is Captain’s Welcome, which I definitely won’t skip. 

For those that keep up with such things, the CD is John Clelford, and the GM is Emma Smith, I’ve never been on a cruise with either. 

So for a libation, yesterday I had a glass of wine with dinner, today I plan on increasing that consumption. For an insight, which is a stupid one and many won’t care, nor apply to. Who designed and installed the urinals in the mens public restrooms?  I’m almost 6’2” and they are too high for me. What were they thinking?

Any questions please ask, I may or may not know the answer, but I’ll try to find out. FYI, I’m not a cheerleader, I just call it the way I see it. I’m just happy to be here, enjoying a vacation. 

Ps the Riviera still looks great, we were just on it in March. We have an inside room, our second ever in 25 years of cruising. I’ll talk more about it later. So far it’s extremely smooth sailing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9

I’ve found out from someone that the Alumni groups are coordinated through GoNext, and there are approximately 19 schools represented. 

About those cookies, I’ve decided to make the sacrifice and do a little research on them. So far I’ve found a cookie in Barristas that was great. It was a dark chocolate with macadamia nuts. A tan one with nuts and what looks like white chocolate chunks was very blah. Grudgingly I’ll continue the research. 

Elvis the fat years ice cream was excellent for dessert today at lunch. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Orv- Thanks for the quick onboard review of Riviera.

Glad that you got to the ship on time but it’s worth repeating for others who might want to chance it: an hour and half delay out of DFW.

Though there’s always hope for a change, I’m sad to say that you’re stuck with O’s worst CD, John Clelford. (You can search here on CC for some of the comments about his seeming disinterest in his job and the passengers [personally witnessed on two other O cruises]). And it appears he’s still insisting on creating “super spreader” events by holding Trivia in Martini’s (last time we were on an O ship with him during the Covid era restart, multiple complaints to the GM finally got a change of venue back to the lounge).

Enjoy the cruise and please keep us posted.

• Like 1

It seems like 10:30 may be the new favored time for Trivia...that's we had on a cruise several weeks ago on Regatta. It did seem like an odd time compared to in the past..which always seemed to start at 3:30 or so. I know I had to leave and rush to tea!!! 🙂 🙂

There has been a never ending line at DestinationServices since the cruise started. I would guess it has to do with Holyhead being cancelled a couple of weeks before the cruise. They posted new tours for the replacement port of Killybegs but the cart wasn’t working. I guess not everyone has a TA that could take care of it  for them. 

we're on Oceania next year - I have to try Elvis the fat years ice cream!

We sailed from Southampton in March, fastest check in we've ever had. Sounds very like your experience. Enjoy the rest of your trip, I look forward to reading your observations. 

We’re in Newcastle today, we have a later tour and have been on the ship this morning. There have been multiple travel agent groups on board. 

3 hours ago, ORV said:

There has been a never ending line at DestinationServices since the cruise started. I would guess it has to do with Holyhead being cancelled a couple of weeks before the cruise. They posted new tours for the replacement port of Killybegs but the cart wasn’t working. I guess not everyone has a TA that could take care of it  for them. 

Too bad about Holyhead  seems it is often missed

I have tried  3 times  to get there by ship  never made it LOL

Enjoy the cruise

• Like 2

Some tavern, Aberlour 12 yr old, good price, small pour. Supposed to be a double, but only about 8lbs. 

IMG_0692.jpeg

Edited by ORV

On 6/12/2023 at 5:04 AM, ORV said:

First, I broke one of the cardinal rules you see posted so many times on all of the boards here. I flew in on the day of the cruise, or at least the night before. I had reasons why, I don’t need to go into, but it all worked fine, which I feel is the rule, rather than the exception. We flew from DFW to LHR by way of Toronto. This was my first time in YYZ and if I can help it my last. The complainers about it are right. But, other than an hour and half delay out of DFW everything was fine. We had premium economy on AC and it was ok. We used the Oceania air for this. 

The last time we used Oceania Air, we were routed through YYZ on Air Canada.  Our AC connection in YYZ was late and we missed the overseas flight to Edinburgh.  AC customer service was almost nonexistent and O’s air customer service as of no help either, same for about TA.  We were forced to reschedule our flight ourselves and we’re able to arrive in Edinburgh 30 hours late.  We had followed the Cardinal Rule and planned an extra day in Edinburgh, so we made the ship.  We did learn 3 things:  avoid YYZ, Air Canada, and Oceania Air by booking your own flights.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Have I mentioned what wonderful weather we’re having? 70 and sunshine or so every day so far, with the same expected for Queensferry tomorrow. I’m sure it won’t hold the further north we go. 

• Like 2

We are in South QueensFerry today. No shuttle to Edinburgh nor any mention of it in Currents. Only mention of Edinburgh is in the excursions. 

FYI, as I’ve mentioned before, shuttles are usually provided by the local ports and towns. Not Oceania. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ORV said:

Some tavern, Aberlour 12 yr old, good price, small pour. Supposed to be a double, but only about 8lbs. 

IMG_0692.jpeg

I like the way you're taking your whisky.  At first I was confused by the "only 8lbs" then I read it out loud.  Did you mean £8?  Or is that glass absolutely massive?  8lbs is weight, £8 is money, and they sound exactly the same.

• Like 1

Thanks for the lesson, I know the difference, just didn’t worry with finding the symbol on my phone. I think if I referred to UK money, we would refer to as 8 pounds. I wasn’t aware that using the abbreviation for pound wasn’t allowed. Here we go, it cost £8.

It was a heavy glass. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ORV said:

Thanks for the lesson, I know the difference, just didn’t worry with finding the symbol on my phone. I think if I referred to UK money, we would refer to as 8 pounds. I wasn’t aware that using the abbreviation for pound wasn’t allowed. Here we go, it cost £8.

It was a heavy glass. 

I've seen it as "pounds sterling."

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

On an iPhone, hold the $ sign key down and the available icons for pounds, euros, etc will appear. Slide you finger to the one you want and let go (£, €….).

Thanks for the tip -