Waterproof Shoes? How important?

deelightfull

I've read lots of advice recommending waterproof shoes for excursions in Alaska. Are they REALLY necessary?  None of our excursions are particularly "adventurous".

Sitka: the raptor center, the fort, and the fortress of the bears

No tours booked in Juneau (hubby wants a picture in front of the capital) or Icy Straight Point.

Ward Cove: Saxman Native Village 

Probably won't get off the ship in Victoria.

I live in southern California, and I've got a hard to fit foot.  Is it worth paying $150 for shoes I'm likely to only wear twice? 

Oh, and we're going at the end of July, beginning of August.

Thanks!

Edited by deelightfull
Grammer!

I’ll be in Alaska in 2 weeks and bought water resistant hikers and some water resistant spray for our back packs. I’m not sure if I’ll need them the whole time but they do say it rains a lot in Alaska so I’ll be prepared. I also bought rain gear pants, jacket and poncho. 

• Like 1

If you have an old pair of shoes that are comfortable to walk in, you can get waterproof spray and treat them.  I suggest old shoes just in case the spray does something to the finish.  Don't do this on cloth or woven material shoes as the material is so porous that it is really hard to get them waterproof.  I used a pair of lace up suede shoes for this.  (Also SoCal, so I went this route)

It can rain a lot in Alaska, and sometimes suddenly.  If you have waterproof shoes, you can enjoy your outing without only thinking about your cold wet feet.

• Like 3

They are only necessary if it rains.......

I have bought Gortex Brooks Ghost lines athletic shoes. They fit like normal athletic shoes (and look like them). I wear them at home when it rains.

• Like 3

None of the places you are going to require any hiking boots.

I would wear what you would normally wear when you are outside all day when it is raining where you live. My Brooks Ghost Gortex fit just like my Brooks Ghost athletic shoes. I bring those.

Technically Crocs will dry quickly but your feet will get wet if it rains.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, deelightfull said:

When it rains here, I just wear my Crocs. 🤷. I think I will roll the dice bring dry socks in my excursion backpack. 

Oh, Grasshopper.....Alaska isn't southern California

If you are going skimp on the waterproof shoes, I would recommend investing in some very good merino wool socks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you’re not going to get a pair of waterproof shoes (or treat an old pair), then I would suggest that in addition to extra socks, you pack an extra pair of shoes.  That way you will have a dry pair to change into once back onboard.

(Columbia makes a couple of waterproof shoes that are priced responsibly—around $65 or less.)

LOL, my kids live in SoCal.  With the weather this past year, I’ve brought and worn my waterproof shoes to Disneyland and hikes!

• Like 1

4 cruises in Alaska, almost 40 days, never brought waterproof shoes. Been rained on, sleeted on, and walked on a glacier on a helicopter tour. Understand there was some risk in getting soaked shoes, but didn't happen. Didn't do any serious hiking,  just walking.

• Like 6

I'd say not necessary at all... I wore a pair of non-waterproof Altra trail runners on all of my excursions (whale watching, Totem Bight, etc.). My mom wore Skechers. We were both fine, no issues with wet feet.

Comfort and a good grip is more important than waterproofing IMHO. Some of the gangways were at quite the angle due to the tides and I was honestly more concerned about mom slipping and falling when it was wet and slippery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OrcaGirl said:

I'd say not necessary at all... I wore a pair of non-waterproof Altra trail runners on all of my excursions (whale watching, Totem Bight, etc.). My mom wore Skechers. We were both fine, no issues with wet feet.

Comfort and a good grip is more important than waterproofing IMHO. Some of the gangways were at quite the angle due to the tides and I was honestly more concerned about mom slipping and falling when it was wet and slippery.

Good info.  What month did you cruise and were there many rainy days?  We are going in early September and I think it's expected to rain most days.  However, we live in WA so we are used to a little shower every now and then.

You're cruising, not thru-hiking - so as long as you have other shoes to change into onboard, worst case is that you have soaking wet feet during one port stop and can then dry them out in your cabin. It's certainly BEST to have footwear that's waterproof, I'd take a not-waterproof broken in pair of footwear over a brand-new pair of waterproof shoes any day when cruising. Much more important for them to be comfy, with good arch and ideally ankle support (I've twisted my ankle far more often just catching the edge of a sidewalk or similar when not paying attention in a city than I have while on a trail!)

I do second the idea to try spraying an older pair of comfy shoes though - and if even a few bucks for a bottle of the fancy stuff seems excessive for just a few days use, you can do a pretty good short-term job with just a hairdryer and a candle!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Good info.  What month did you cruise and were there many rainy days?  We are going in early September and I think it's expected to rain most days.  However, we live in WA so we are used to a little shower every now and then.

Most recently, it was late April / early May (the first Princess cruise of the season) but we've also sailed in September and October. Each trip we had 3-4 rainy days, but usually it was grey and drizzly, not pouring rain all day. Out of all those trips, we've only had one day where the rain was bad enough that we just shrugged and said, "let's just stay on board today."

I'm leaving tomorrow on another Alaska cruise and only bringing regular sneakers and flip-flops.

• Thanks 1

Take it from a long-distance hiker, don't take waterproof shoes! If the water goes over your ankles, they will weigh a ton. Wear Merino wool socks and quick-drying (mesh) shoes (Altras or equal). They will insulate even if wet. Thirty minutes later, your feet will be dry.

2023-05-25 20.23.03.jpg

• Like 3