Guarantee assignment

seachelt

27 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

And so it likewise is utilizing Oceania Air. You choose them, you get what they give you. Fairly simple.

Now for the “ No complaining “ part! 😂

@pinotlover It seems that complaining about one aspect of a cruise or another is the order of business.  Not being happy about something is every consumers right.  You have an expectation, it was not filled.  I totally get it.  However, when one claims to be an educated consumer, purchases a Guarantee Stateroom followed by not getting the stateroom they want, Chooses to use the Cruise Lines Air followed by not being happy with the arrangement, Purchases cruise line transfers followed by being upset waiting at the airport for the bus to fill up, has butler which they ask for nothing then complain the butler did nothing for them.  Each one of these decisions are self inflicted.  Either you know the pro/cons of the decisions you make or you don't.  

I just find it funny sometimes, reading and attempting to be empathetic to guest upset at their results.  Guest that rate a cruise on not getting a fork with their room service order, claiming several dirty spoons when ordering ice cream, not getting Amenities Kits or tote bags.  These third world problems/items are disappointing for sure however making it the focus on online complaints with no reference to what went as planned seems selective. When MOST of those decisions were theirs to make and they new the rules to the game upfront.  The complaints on Social Media is because they can't complain to the brand because they brand was clear on their policy prior to choosing them. 

Sorry for the rant, to much coffee this morning.  "Consumer beware or at least read the fine print." 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

You have an expectation, it was not filled

But there is a difference between overblown expectations of a complainer and the failure to deliver their normal product by the company.  Folks need to read marketing jargon as marketing jargon, not as a golden rule, particularly when it comes to subjective interpretations or experiences.  So was the expectation flawed or the product?

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

So was the expectation flawed or the product?

Both, and allow me to explain.  If I am upset enough to write a post on Room Service not providing a fork with my meal, is the product flawed.  In that instance, the product was flawed but not across the board, just for that instance.  The expectation of only focusing on the fork or dirty spoon for ice cream, as a reflection on an entire cruise is also unfair expectations.  Then we have folks responding to these complaints by saying, "I have been on this brand 30 times and that never happened to me."  Is the brand inconsistant, flawed or did someone simply want to make a stink online.  I have no idea which is half the problem. 

When we read Op-Eds focused on minor disappointments, with no balanced view of what was also right, it creates the impression, missing one fork/spoon kills the vacation.  I am way over simplifying this situation but this is the trend on social media.  Add to this, when challenged if you complained about the mishap, the poster often times does not respond back.  With every business, things go wrong, things are missed.  The brand has to acknowledged they messed up, do it in a timely manner, and resolve the issue to the guest satisfaction.  If they do, they are a great brand. If they DON'T, it is a complete flaw of the brand and its mission statement. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:
1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

So was the expectation flawed or the product?

Both,

My point, exactly.  It can be one or the other, or both at the same time.  Folks need to distinguish between them and blame the right person/entity for the person.  Not just the cruise line, as is often done here on CC.

Edited by 1985rz1

1 minute ago, 1985rz1 said:

My point, exactly.  It can be one or the other, or both at the same time.  Folks need to distinguish between them and blame the right person/entity for the person.  Not just the cruise line, as is often done here on CC.

@1985rz1 Plus 1, agreed. I always believe their is accountability on both sides.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have found this thread to be highly informative and Helpful.  Here is my situation as of this morning.  My cruise is 29 days away.  This means that the penalty for all booked on the ship is now 100%.  Our group of two staterooms has one PH3 Guarantee not assigned. The ship shows all stateroom except "one" completely waitlisted.  The one that is open is a "Oceania Suite".  The ship is the Riviera on a 10 day Mediterranean cruise leaving November 9, 2023. 

It is clear from the posts on this thread, that the Guarantee will clear about one week prior to the departure up to the actual departure day of the 9th.  This cruise had a Four Category Upgrade and the Extraordinary Sales Event that could be used as the same time providing a value to all that booked (Double Dip).  The cruise really was not part of the "SimplyMore" program.  Therefore true Cruise Only staterooms were available. 

Using other Oceania cruises, with Guarantee's as a benchmark, the odds are that a PH3 will become available and that is what my guest joining will be assigned.  The likely hood of a PH2 or PH1 is possible but unlikely.  There are many opinions written on each PH category all of which make sense. The possibility of an Oceania, Vista or Owners Suite upgrade is close to a zero possibility unless one asks Oceania for a "Paid Guest" upgrade offer and even then it would be close to impossible and improbable.

As I have learned, with a filled ship, someone always cancels in the last 30 days.  A number of reason with the outcome of a cancellation.  Oceania and other brands are experts in selling every single stateroom and have many methods shared in this thread on how they do it.  My thoughts at this point not knowing the actual stateroom is, I am glad we did the Guarantee because it was based on the "Four Category" upgrade.  All that was left at the time at the lowest rate was in a PH3 Guarantee.   If actual staterooms were available, since the guarantee does not provide a discount, I would in the future choose a actual cabin vs. the Guarantee.  Just less to think about. My reasons when assigned might change my mind but the waiting to the last minute is just not me. 

This has been a learning process which I have enjoyed.  Everyone's actual results and opinions have made so much sense.  I will do one final post when the stateroom clears just to tie a ribbon on the topic for me.  Thank you everyone for helping a new Oceania Guest learn from your experiences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We had a GTY for a C1 on an upcoming cruise and just got our cabin assignment 2 weeks prior to embarkation. Alas, no upgrade (the ship looks to be completely full with every category but one waitlisted) but our cabin is a C1, which is what we paid for, and we're happy to have it. The location is not what I would have normally chosen but should be ok from what I've read.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, britfan said:

We had a GTY for a C1 on an upcoming cruise and just got our cabin assignment 2 weeks prior to embarkation. Alas, no upgrade (the ship looks to be completely full with every category but one waitlisted) but our cabin is a C1, which is what we paid for, and we're happy to have it. The location is not what I would have normally chosen but should be ok from what I've read.

Thank you for a rational and balanced post. Most people would be on here ranting that they expected to be upgraded to the top most category and want every form of compensation possible.

13 hours ago, LHT28 said:

What location were you expecting if you booked  a C1 ?

Strange question. There are more and less desirable C1 locations for most people. Britfan didn’t complain, just mentioned that they wouldn’t choose the particular C1 cabin they were assigned. 

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, LHT28 said:

What location were you expecting if you booked  a C1 ?

I meant the specific cabin within the C1 category was not what we would have chosen. It's closer to what may be the gangway depending on which way the ship docks and which deck they use. But we signed up for a GTY knowing we gave away that choice in favor of paying the price we wanted. It's ok - we are very much looking forward to the cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, britfan said:

I meant the specific cabin within the C1 category was not what we would have chosen. It's closer to what may be the gangway depending on which way the ship docks and which deck they use. But we signed up for a GTY knowing we gave away that choice in favor of paying the price we wanted. It's ok - we are very much looking forward to the cruise!

Thanks for clarifying

R ships  the gangway is usually deck 4 or 5   never had an issue  with the C 1 there

The C 1  I would not  like are those on Deck 6 & 7 forward  but many like them

57 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Strange question. There are more and less desirable C1 locations for most people. Britfan didn’t complain, just mentioned that they wouldn’t choose the particular C1 cabin they were assigned. 

Not strange at all 

Since most of the C1  cabins  are in the same area   on the R ships  deck 4  the exceptions as I noted are on deck 6 & 7

On the  O class ships the C cabins are  mid ship deck 7

no C Cabins  on Vista

Britfan did not mention the ship

I've never known there to be a discount for booking a guarantee on Oceania. You pay the going rate for that category, but you will be on the cruise. 

8 hours ago, britfan said:

But we signed up for a GTY knowing we gave away that choice in favor of paying the price we wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the outcome of my Oceania Guarantee Journey.  We booked two PH3 Guarantees in early September 2022.  I normally would not do a Guarantee unless there was a financial benefit.  With Oceania, there really is none.  I booked two (2) staterooms at the PH3 Guarantee because it was the best value with a 4-Catigory upgrade promotion. That was a long time ago.  Here is the results, FINALLY!!

• The first Guarantee: This was my cabin and I took the advice from this board and asked Oceania for a "Paid" Guest Upgrade.  Long story but I paid and upgrade and got a Vista Suite.  
  • The second Guarantee: This was for my guest/friends coming along with us.  The Cruise is on November 9, 2023.  That is 10 days away.  Today they issue our friends a Stateroom.  It is a PH2 so they got a nice upgrade.  I am thrilled because this is on the the newly refurbished cabins where some of the PH3 were not. The best part is they are the cabin under ours.  That was a nice surprise.

So would I do a Guarantee again, only under the same situation of a 4-Catigory upgrade.  That seems to be the best way to gain a benefit.  Long journey with what I consider a nice result. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

This is the outcome of my Oceania Guarantee Journey.  We booked two PH3 Guarantees in early September 2022.  I normally would not do a Guarantee unless there was a financial benefit.  With Oceania, there really is none.  I booked two (2) staterooms at the PH3 Guarantee because it was the best value with a 4-Catigory upgrade promotion. That was a long time ago.  Here is the results, FINALLY!!

• The first Guarantee: This was my cabin and I took the advice from this board and asked Oceania for a "Paid" Guest Upgrade.  Long story but I paid and upgrade and got a Vista Suite.  
  • The second Guarantee: This was for my guest/friends coming along with us.  The Cruise is on November 9, 2023.  That is 10 days away.  Today they issue our friends a Stateroom.  It is a PH2 so they got a nice upgrade.  I am thrilled because this is on the the newly refurbished cabins where some of the PH3 were not. The best part is they are the cabin under ours.  That was a nice surprise.

So would I do a Guarantee again, only under the same situation of a 4-Catigory upgrade.  That seems to be the best way to gain a benefit.  Long journey with what I consider a nice result. 

All the cabins were refurbished, I think what you are referring to is the fact that some retained their baths. 

5 minutes ago, ToxM said:

All the cabins were refurbished, I think what you are referring to is the fact that some retained their baths. 

@ToxM Yes I was Tom but I thought those were not refurbished.  You corrected me on that and it was nice to know.  Also, only if you know, was the Vista Suites Refurbished.  From everything I can find out, it looks like they were done some years ago.  Love to know if you know.

7 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@ToxM Yes I was Tom but I thought those were not refurbished.  You corrected me on that and it was nice to know.  Also, only if you know, was the Vista Suites Refurbished.  From everything I can find out, it looks like they were done some years ago.  Love to know if you know.

All cabins were refurbished, some of the cabins retained their bath, the majority had showers replacing the bath. I found this vid which may whet your whistle. I think this is the class of cabin you have booked? This is from 8 months ago so will show post refurb.

Edited by ToxM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ToxM said:

All cabins were refurbished, some of the cabins retained their bath, the majority had showers replacing the bath. I found this vid which may whet your whistle. I think this is the class of cabin you have booked? This is from 8 months ago so will show post refurb.

@ToxM Thank you.  I have watched this video many times.  I then compared it to the video's mostly done by travel agents three years ago.  There is no difference in the suites hence my question.  I am just curious.  The Suite looks outstanding.  I also recently watched the Ship Tour done after the Dry Dock Refurnishing. Lovely ship.  My entire group is looking forward to our experience which is now in 9 days.  

• 3 months later...

Has O been later than usual assigning cabins recently?  We've been holding a guarantee for a cruise on the Nautica leaving in a week from Papeete.  So far no cabin and the PH3 category we booked as well as those above that have been in "waitlist" status on the O website for several months.  I know that they negotiate with those booked if they don't have enough cabins to fill their guarantee commitments.  Do they ever go back to those who booked the guarantees to make a deal with them to "moveover" to a different cruise?  Just curious, our assignment seems late based on the posts I've been reading on CC.

We booked with a travel group, that we belong to.  I noticed that we were given a guarantee state room.  When I talked to the group leader he said that we were the only ones that were not assigned a room. He felt that  that we were guaranteed a room.  So not problem. We shouldn't worry about it.  We have had 10 cruises on Princess and have NEVER requested a guarantee.  We leave in 4 days and still no assigned room. I understand that the ship will put us wherever they feel they want to and it  may not be an upgrade.  They guarantee we will have a stateroom  which may be somewhere a little more undesirable, a little more noise or  ship movement.    I signed up  to bid for a mini suite.  My bid wasn't very high - so I may or may not get it.   My travel group says I should just wait and see.  

1 hour ago, tulefogg said:

We booked with a travel group, that we belong to.  I noticed that we were given a guarantee state room.  When I talked to the group leader he said that we were the only ones that were not assigned a room. He felt that  that we were guaranteed a room.  So not problem. We shouldn't worry about it.  We have had 10 cruises on Princess and have NEVER requested a guarantee.  We leave in 4 days and still no assigned room. I understand that the ship will put us wherever they feel they want to and it  may not be an upgrade.  They guarantee we will have a stateroom  which may be somewhere a little more undesirable, a little more noise or  ship movement.    I signed up  to bid for a mini suite.  My bid wasn't very high - so I may or may not get it.   My travel group says I should just wait and see.  

Yes, I once got a guaranteed cabin on Princess 2 days before cruising several years ago.  We've also had a moveover offer with Princess pre-Covid.  What I'm wondering about is how Oceania does things.  From all I've read the latest they usually assign cabins is a week before and that's where I'm sitting now.  The cruise now shows as waitlist only for all categories so I really thought we would hear something today.  Quite honestly though we would strongly consider a moveover offer if they extended one.  It's our first cruise on Oceania so I'm just trying to get a feel for what to expect.

I was recently on the Riviera and booked my friends in a Guarantee PH3.  The suite was assigned 6 days before the cruise.  I found it on my online account before anyone told me it was assigned.  FYI, the state room was upgraded to a PH2.  That does not always happen.  I hope this helps you.

• Like 1