Photo ID and birth certificate question

So, we sail 6/23

DH just realized his photo id expires 6/22. He applied on dmv site for the camera card and in doing so, he extended his expiration of the phot id to 6/29

Can he use this to sail?

They will not take his photo in our state until he receives the actual camera card in the mail, which they state can take 15 business days. 

26 minutes ago, 6loversofdisney said:

So, we sail 6/23

DH just realized his photo id expires 6/22. He applied on dmv site for the camera card and in doing so, he extended his expiration of the phot id to 6/29

Can he use this to sail?

They will not take his photo in our state until he receives the actual camera card in the mail, which they state can take 15 business 

How long is the cruise?  The 6 mos for passports doesn’t apply but I might be concerned if this id expires before the end of the cruise.

1 hour ago, 6loversofdisney said:

His extension expires 6/29 and the sailing returns 6/29

But what does it say on his ID.  Clearly they didn’t update the expiration that is stated on the ID.  Definitely try to get a new one.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, topnole said:

But what does it say on his ID.  Clearly they didn’t update the expiration that is stated on the ID.  Definitely try to get a new one.  

He should have gotten a temporary extended license (no photo) to print out when he renewed online.

Example:

image.png.c38b2c09cb0cebd161a7aed95746cebd.png

Edited by Another_Critic

36 minutes ago, 6loversofdisney said:

Yes. He did get that but it only extended it to the 29th and our cruise returns on the 30th. That’s why I’m worried. 

Lesson learned ... if you're going to procrastinate, wait a few more days*.  😄

* Would have gotten a later extension date.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It only requires a "Government Issued Photo ID".  Isn't there something in the state that issues a photo ID, on the same day?  Doesn't he have some other photo ID like a Veterans ID, city library card, conceal carry card or something like that?  

13 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Lesson learned ... if you're going to procrastinate, wait a few more days*.  😄

* Would have gotten a later extension date.

You could not be more right about this!!!!!

Also, I’m getting passports for our next trip. We plan to do more traveling and to places we may need it at this point in our lives. 

Hey all, figured I’d post an update for anyone who is interested in my dilemma. After a full day of exhaustion and misinformation from the dmv, as well as RC, my husband got up super early and went to the dmv. Not our closest one, but one that is near and offers many more services. He entered the line and was able to have them print his new photo id right there for a 5.00 fee. Said when the camera card does finally come in the mail, to just disregard it. 

We’ve always traveled with these documents. There are six of us. Now that most of the traveling is going to be just my DH and myself, we will go ahead and just get passports before our next trip. Feels smarter at this point in our lives. 

Thanks for your support and compassion. 

Happy cruising everyone.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, 6loversofdisney said:

Hey all, figured I’d post an update for anyone who is interested in my dilemma. After a full day of exhaustion and misinformation from the dmv, as well as RC, my husband got up super early and went to the dmv. Not our closest one, but one that is near and offers many more services. He entered the line and was able to have them print his new photo id right there for a 5.00 fee. Said when the camera card does finally come in the mail, to just disregard it. 

We’ve always traveled with these documents. There are six of us. Now that most of the traveling is going to be just my DH and myself, we will go ahead and just get passports before our next trip. Feels smarter at this point in our lives. 

Thanks for your support and compassion. 

Happy cruising everyone.

Great!

• Like 1

Strange problem.  The photo id is just for a picture to go along with the birth certificate.  No reason for them to even look at the date.  Even an expired passport works as the photo id.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Strange problem.  The photo id is just for a picture to go along with the birth certificate.  No reason for them to even look at the date.  Even an expired passport works as the photo id.

Royal Caribbean’s website starts you must have a valid ID to board….

IMG_3225.png

5 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

Royal Caribbean’s website starts you must have a valid ID to board….

IMG_3225.png

Royal can define "valid" any way they want, it's their football, and they make their own rules. And in this case, it says that Passports expire no earlier than 6 months after the cruise ends.  However, there was a short time in my life I was a Special Agent for the U.S. Department of Personnel Management doing background investigations for those that wanted/needed a security clearance to work for or continue working for the government.  It was official policy that an expired Passport was a valid form of Identification, but, you couldn't travel with an expired Passport.  Another, however, many or most folks in here will tell you that that 6-month rule isn't enforced.  I don't know, I've always had a valid Passport and I know how it only takes one gungho or ignorant/untrained rent-a-cop at the embarkation terminal to ruin your day/cruise.  And it's not just being denied boarding the ship at risk, it's also the very last paragraph, "No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation".  Call me "over-cautious".  I'm fine with it.  But, I like to think of it like keeping a fire extinguisher in my kitchen.  I may never need it, but I have it if I do.  

NOTE:  @GTO-Girl, all of this was not directed directly at you, I quoted you because it's what generated my discussion and thoughts.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Royal can define "valid" any way they want, it's their football, and they make their own rules. And in this case, it says that Passports expire no earlier than 6 months after the cruise ends.  However, there was a short time in my life I was a Special Agent for the U.S. Department of Personnel Management doing background investigations for those that wanted/needed a security clearance to work for or continue working for the government.  It was official policy that an expired Passport was a valid form of Identification, but, you couldn't travel with an expired Passport.  Another, however, many or most folks in here will tell you that that 6-month rule isn't enforced.  I don't know, I've always had a valid Passport and I know how it only takes one gungho or ignorant/untrained rent-a-cop at the embarkation terminal to ruin your day/cruise.  And it's not just being denied boarding the ship at risk, it's also the very last paragraph, "No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation".  Call me "over-cautious".  I'm fine with it.  But, I like to think of it like keeping a fire extinguisher in my kitchen.  I may never need it, but I have it if I do.  

NOTE:  @GTO-Girl, all of this was not directed directly at you, I quoted you because it's what generated my discussion and thoughts.  

You keep posting this crap, but all who have been here for a long time know that for most Caribbean sailings from and back to the same port you don’t even need a passport. If you do use one it just needs to be valid through end of cruise

if you can state a SINGLE instance that someone was denied boarding because their passport expired within 6 months of sailing I guess you win the argument

47 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

You keep posting this crap, but all who have been here for a long time know that for most Caribbean sailings from and back to the same port you don’t even need a passport. If you do use one it just needs to be valid through end of cruise

if you can state a SINGLE instance that someone was denied boarding because their passport expired within 6 months of sailing I guess you win the argument

Is it "crap"?  Does it not say what it says?  Am I making this stuff up?  I can't help it if you don't like what it says, but it says it, right?  My discussion, not an argument, was/is a cautionary tale, not a statement of fact that everyone that shows up without the 6 months remaining is denied boarding.  But, it is there and can be used anytime RCCL wants to.  Show up with a bad attitude and less than 6 months remaining on your Passport and see what could happen.  And I never said you NEED a passport.  But, it says if you use a passport, it must have 6 months remaining.  Is there any disputing that?  Seems to me that you are the only one arguing here.  

Oh, and in the many years that I've been posting on cruise social media sites, there have been a few folks that were denied boarding because of not meeting the 6-month rule, I can only imagine the impetus that caused the adverse action.  You find them, I'm not because I never said in my post that ANYBODY has been denied boarding because of it.  I'm only saying what COULD happen and in past posts in a different thread(s), I've suggested that if someone advises someone to disregard what RCCL say because they don't enforce it or it's easy to get away with it, they at least be totally transparent about it and let them know that there is a policy that does say the opposite or prohibit it and let the person seeking guidance make up their own mind.  It's like telling someone that it's okay to bring on more than one bottle of wine per person without telling them that the policy is only one per person.  Yes, they probably will get away with it, but it's possible that they may not and if they don't, they just wasted money. 

So, find someone else to argue with!

That is all.  Carry on!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Is it "crap"?  Does it not say what it says?  Am I making this stuff up?  I can't help it if you don't like what it says, but it says it, right?  My discussion, not an argument, was/is a cautionary tale, not a statement of fact that everyone that shows up without the 6 months remaining is denied boarding.  But, it is there and can be used anytime RCCL wants to.  Show up with a bad attitude and less than 6 months remaining on your Passport and see what could happen.  And I never said you NEED a passport.  But, it says if you use a passport, it must have 6 months remaining.  Is there any disputing that?  Seems to me that you are the only one arguing here.  

Oh, and in the many years that I've been posting on cruise social media sites, there have been a few folks that were denied boarding because of not meeting the 6-month rule, I can only imagine the impetus that caused the adverse action.  You find them, I'm not because I never said in my post that ANYBODY has been denied boarding because of it.  I'm only saying what COULD happen and in past posts in a different thread(s), I've suggested that if someone advises someone to disregard what RCCL say because they don't enforce it or it's easy to get away with it, they at least be totally transparent about it and let them know that there is a policy that does say the opposite or prohibit it and let the person seeking guidance make up their own mind.  It's like telling someone that it's okay to bring on more than one bottle of wine per person without telling them that the policy is only one per person.  Yes, they probably will get away with it, but it's possible that they may not and if they don't, they just wasted money. 

So, find someone else to argue with!

That is all.  Carry on!

Lol

denied boarding on a closed loop cruise with less than 6 months? There are a few (Cuba is one) but pretty much no others.

see if you can prove me wrong!

You wasted a lot of time writing

Don’t care where you used to work!

We know how it works

it’s always been policy no matter what you found that doesn’t apply to closed loop cruises

Edited by cruisinfanatic

47 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Lol

denied boarding on a closed loop cruise with less than 6 months? There are a few (Cuba is one) but pretty much no others.

see if you can prove me wrong!

You wasted a lot of time writing

Don’t care where you used to work!

We know how it works

it’s always been policy no matter what you found that doesn’t apply to closed loop cruises

Nice try at grasping for straws.  See ya!

18 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Nice try at grasping for straws.  See ya!

I think if you did a poll, you'd find more people agreeing with cruisinfanatics' perspective than yours. For some reason, you have a desire to stir the pot that most people don't need or want stirred.

3 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I think if you did a poll, you'd find more people agreeing with cruisinfanatics' perspective than yours. For some reason, you have a desire to stir the pot that most people don't need or want stirred.