Puppies in the Piazza

memoak

On the Discovery now. Skagway stop they bring puppies to the ship for kids to take pictures with. Very traumatic for the animals. Too many people, too much noise the dogs are totally freaked out. Why is this even allowed? 

• Thanks 1

We were in Skagway last week ( on the Sapphire).  The 'puppies' were not exactly 'new borns'.  They only brought on 2, and I thought that they were well managed.  In olden days, they did bring much younger puppies for pictures, but they were all tuckered out, and spent much of the time sleeping together in a ball, and not used for pictures or held. 

This makes me so angry!  I’ve said on these boards in the past that this is not a positive experience for the dogs.  As many of you know, I foster rescued Huskies and Samoyeds.  They are not like Golden Retrievers or Labs.  They are very high strung and easily annoyed with strange people and sounds.  They can be quite dramatic and very vocal.  This event is for photo ops only.  I’ve sent letters to Princess, but it’s not an issue they care about.

Please, if you’re on a ship with these puppies, keep yourself calm and quiet.  Don’t grab them.  Don’t try to kiss their faces.  Don’t crowd around them too closely.  The owners of these puppies should know better, but if you’ve been to one of the kennels in Alaska, you know what I mean.

Sorry for the rant, but this issue is very close to  my heart.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sirclean said:

We were in Skagway last week ( on the Sapphire).  The 'puppies' were not exactly 'new borns'.  They only brought on 2, and I thought that they were well managed.  In olden days, they did bring much younger puppies for pictures, but they were all tuckered out, and spent much of the time sleeping together in a ball, and not used for pictures or held. 

The ones today were 5 months old. Photo ops like crazy just a money making operation

• Thanks 1

I agree; definitely a photo selling opportunity.

My 4 year old and I stood in line on the Royal a few weeks ago for this. I thought it was going to be a nice event where we got to at least spend time with the puppies. Rather it was a hyper rush just for Princess to take a quick photo and the puppies looking scared with people darting in and out next to them.

I’m on Majestic right now and the two puppies they brought on were sleeping the entire time. I think they said they were three weeks old (not sure). The handler explained they do this to socialize them and get used to crowds. I’m no dog expert, but I’m pretty sure the digas aren’t traumatized or abused. YMMV

• Like 1

Seems to be an ill advised attempt by someone in Princess photo dept to make more $$ with overpriced photos.

How many people would like their infant kids or grandkids to be used for such a purpose.  I am going to guess that overall most would see it as child abuse if it involves an hour or more of being ogled and petted and photographed. 

While it may not result in long term damage is it really a good idea to use puppies as props just so somebody can have a picture?

• Thanks 1

This thread is about Princess traumatizing baby animals by bringing them into situations with loud noise and crowds of hundreds of people. The worst animal control department in states have better environments 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dockman said:

Seems to be an ill advised attempt by someone in Princess photo dept to make more $$ with overpriced photos.

How many people would like their infant kids or grandkids to be used for such a purpose.  I am going to guess that overall most would see it as child abuse if it involves an hour or more of being ogled and petted and photographed. 

While it may not result in long term damage is it really a good idea to use puppies as props just so somebody can have a picture?

Bless you.  Sincerely, thank you.

42 minutes ago, memoak said:

This thread is about Princess traumatizing baby animals by bringing them into situations with loud noise and crowds of hundreds of people. The worst animal control department in states have better environments 

Pretty sure there are going to be humans sleeping outside tonight, in the dark and with no shelter and loud noises and crowds of hundreds of people all around them in Portland, OR.

7 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Pretty sure there are going to be humans sleeping outside tonight, in the dark and with no shelter and loud noises and crowds of hundreds of people all around them in Portland, OR.

But are some big corporations trying to make a few extra bucks by taking and selling pics of them?  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Is there an inside joke I'm not tracking here?

Are we all dog-piling on Princess for bringing puppies on-board as some sort of ongoing joke I missed out?

No joke, inside or otherwise.  Just regular people discussing innocent dogs and their well being.  Some people don’t get it and apparently Princess doesn’t either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, dockman said:

But are some big corporations trying to make a few extra bucks by taking and selling pics of them?  

Princess is either paying them to bring the puppies on, or the owners are promoting their 'tours' and taking a % of the photo sales

come on, man 

lock the thread

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dockman said:

Trust me, the level of nickel and diming on this premium tier of cruising has gotten to the point that for the first time in five years, I have zero ocean cruises planned, and short of some amazing (and I mean amazing) deal, am not actively looking for or seeking any future cruises.... so I'm actually one of the more sympathetic people towards that. But, selling photos with puppies on board is not that big of a deal.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

That’s true, but do we have to choose between the two?  I would like to think we have room in our hearts for both.  Perhaps, not all of us do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lady Arwen said:

That’s true, but do we have to choose between the two?  I would like to think we have room in our hearts for both.  Perhaps, not all of us do.

why just blame Princess - why not blame the puppy providers?

Just now, voljeep said:

why just blame Princess - why not blame the puppy providers?

You are 100% right on!  Thank you for getting it.  I do blame them first and foremost.  The issue is money.  Always.  

4 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Trust me, the level of nickel and diming on this premium tier of cruising has gotten to the point that for the first time in five years, I have zero ocean cruises planned, and short of some amazing (and I mean amazing) deal, am not actively looking for or seeking any future cruises.... so I'm actually one of the more sympathetic people towards that. But, selling photos with puppies on board is not that big of a deal.

and NOT doing it is also not that big a deal...as with so many things it starts small and then as more and more $$ involved it gets out of hand....did anyone on a cruise ever suggest gee i wish i could get a picture taken with a puppy?

• Thanks 1