Princess Beer

Guest Bronston

Guest Bronston

Wondering what premium beers are on Princess? Specifically Ruby Princess.

Any location(s) such as specific bars or dining rooms that have premium beers that are a available in a specific venue?

thanks.

2 hours ago, Bronston said:

Wondering what premium beers are on Princess? Specifically Ruby Princess.

Any location(s) such as specific bars or dining rooms that have premium beers that are a available in a specific venue?

thanks.

Here is a website which says 2023 prices, (although they seem a bit low). If you scroll down far enough, you will find "light lagers" followed by "crafts and imports". Of course, there will be variations based upon availability and location, but this should give you an idea. 👌

Princess Cruises Drinks Prices and Menus, 2023 - Cruising For All (cruisingkids.co.uk)

It would be a help to those interested in answering your question to know where the Ruby Princess will be sailing while you are onboard. Also it would help to know what you consider a premium beer.

Princess often takes on regional specialties where they are cruising.  Out of Southamton for example, they had Boddington's on tap. In the Caribbean, they had Red Stripe. If you are new to Princess, you should know that they really don't know beers. Sad but true, forget Porters and Stouts, but you'll see IPAs.

Guest Bronston

Alaska next month.

premium being subjective I classify them as above average cost and of uniform quality.

14 minutes ago, Bronston said:

Alaska next month.

premium being subjective I classify them as above average cost and of uniform quality.

In Alaska they generally bring on beers from the Alaska Brewing Company. Not bad beer at all. Finding anything decent in the way of beer on Princess ships is somewhat of a rarity. They do generally have Lagunitas these days but, living in California, we get a bit tired of so many IPAs. Some of them are hopped to a ridiculous degree and aren't really suitable for our 100°+ summer days. (Sierrra Nevada beer is made in our home town and some of the beer they turn out is extremely hopped.)

16 minutes ago, Bronston said:

Alaska next month.

Something you might want to look into is the Alaska Brewing tour in Juneau. It is a city bus ride, not a Princess excursion. Let the bus driver know what you want to do. Yeah, it's Alaska. 

In Skagway there used to be a brew on premises pub called Skagway Brewing. With Covid takimg many tolls on business' don't know if they are still there, enjoy! 

39 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Something you might want to look into is the Alaska Brewing tour in Juneau. It is a city bus ride, not a Princess excursion. Let the bus driver know what you want to do. Yeah, it's Alaska. 

In Skagway there used to be a brew on premises pub called Skagway Brewing. With Covid takimg many tolls on business' don't know if they are still there, enjoy! 

Alaska Brewing's beer is good, and they sell great T-shirts. If I am remembering correctly, the brewery is close to the Costco in Juneau. Always good for some inexpensive souvenirs.

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

It would be a help to those interested in answering your question to know where the Ruby Princess will be sailing while you are onboard. Also it would help to know what you consider a premium beer.

Princess often takes on regional specialties where they are cruising.  Out of Southamton for example, they had Boddington's on tap. In the Caribbean, they had Red Stripe. If you are new to Princess, you should know that they really don't know beers. Sad but true, forget Porters and Stouts, but you'll see IPAs.

I hope they will have Guiness after our stop in Ireland. 🛳️

My wife knows every brewery or brew pub in the "usual" Alaska ports. I count on her to get me to them. Skagway used to have a little, funky brew pub - Skagway Brewing Company - that we liked to visit. These days that location is a shop to sell their shirts, etc. and they built a new "modern" venue that looks and feels more like something one would find in a city. Poop. We tried it once but won't be going back. Fortunately one can go to the Klondike Brewing Company instead. 😁

• Thanks 1

On the Sapphire earlier this month in Alaska they also had 3 Belgian ales on the menu in Crooners -- a tripel, quadruple and Chimay Red.

I don't recall them being mentioned anywhere else on the ship. 

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Thrak said:

My wife knows every brewery or brew pub in the "usual" Alaska ports. I count on her to get me to them. Skagway used to have a little, funky brew pub - Skagway Brewing Company - that we liked to visit. These days that location is a shop to sell their shirts, etc. and they built a new "modern" venue that looks and feels more like something one would find in a city. Poop. We tried it once but won't be going back. Fortunately one can go to the Klondike Brewing Company instead. 😁

On our Crown Princess 10 day in August, our port goals are modest - one inexpensive attraction (under $50pp) and one beer at the local craft brewery. So far I have scoped out one in each port!

11 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

Princess consistently says they have Lagunitas IPA, but, in reality it is almost always A Little Sumpin Sumpin "California- American Pale Wheat Ale" - NOT IPA. 

We had both the American IPA and the India Pale Ale IPA on our Crown trip in March.

2 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

Icy Bay IPA from Alaskan Brewing Company was my favorite last year on Alaska cruise. Seems you have to try every bar and see what they are offering.

Good advice on checking every bar, seems they may have different beers on each one.

On one cruise my wife noted several Alaska Brewing Company beers on the shelf at one of the Lido bars. The bartender said they were the last of the leftovers from their Alaska run prior to our cruise. (I can't remember which cruise we were on but it wasn't an Alaska cruise.) We scooped all of them (there were maybe 4 cans) and he let us take them unopened. They made a nice item to have in the cabin refrigerator.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 5:42 AM, ckylec said:

I'll be on Royal Princess in a week. I'm interested to see what they offer.

The Outrigger bar on the Royal was the only bar that had the Icy Bay Ipa. Seems there was a better selection there.