I have gained a new appreciation for princess.com

Sea Hag

All of us here know that the Princess website has its hitches, glitches and oddities. But now, as in the title, I've gained a new appreciation for it. Holland America's website is sooooo much worse. Hard to believe, isn't it? It's a rare occasion that I visit that site and don't get multiple page errors, header error messages and flat out white screens of death. I was just trying to buy an internet package, but on each of the many attempts I made, I got a "There was an error adding the item to the cart."  To be fair, their app does seem pretty stable, but it's so limited in functionality that it's just about useless. 

We wanted to try something different, and we've never sailed with HAL, so we're doing that in September.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

All of us here know that the Princess website has its hitches, glitches and oddities. But now, as in the title, I've gained a new appreciation for it. Holland America's website is sooooo much worse. Hard to believe, isn't it? It's a rare occasion that I visit that site and don't get multiple page errors, header error messages and flat out white screens of death. I was just trying to buy an internet package, but on each of the many attempts I made, I got a "There was an error adding the item to the cart."  To be fair, their app does seem pretty stable, but it's so limited in functionality that it's just about useless. 

We wanted to try something different, and we've never sailed with HAL, so we're doing that in September.

Lol...I get it! I have been poking around the MSC site as I am looking for an affordable solo cruise.  Now that website is really bad....and I cant figure out the cost of anything. Princess site looks great in comparison!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Lol...I get it! I have been poking around the MSC site as I am looking for an affordable solo cruise.  Now that website is really bad....and I cant figure out the cost of anything. Princess site looks great in comparison!

That's really funny! And somebody on the HAL board here was complaining about another cruise line's site. Don't remember which. Some kind of cosmic curse?

52 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I agree - it's horrible.  I was checking them out since they will somewhat match loyalty status - but I gave up before I got a headache - and Norwegian was as bad - every time I went to the website all I got was I need to book in 3 hours or the deal was gone....:-) 

Have not cruised in 5 years due to the stupid lockdowns, but the PCL website truly is badly maintained.  IT couldn't poor piss out of a boot with directions on the heel. Things that should be saved on many of the portals have to be repeated and reentered on every part of the site.  I hope life on board the ship is not as complicated and F'up as their website.

• Haha 2

Make sure you don't have anything else in your cart.  I vaguely remember having the same issue and it was because I had something in my cart (it had been there for weeks) but I hadn't paid for it.   Once I deleted it, I was able to add something else.   Not sure if this is the case for you, but you might want to check.

We have a cruise in less than three weeks on Azamara and one in February on Princess. I am SO grateful for the Princess website compared to the mess on Azamara.  Azamara was sold and had to transition to its own website.  They shut their site down in late March saying it would be back with their new site in two weeks.  That was followed by many delays then they slowly started to piece things back together but it was full of errors (e.g., said we owed various amounts at different times when we were paid in full, changed one  of our excursions, etc.). Today it still doesn’t work fully - OBC doesn’t appear anywhere and we can’t check in online in advance or print luggage tags.  We just have to show up at the port and hope for the best (which thankfully does seem to be working).  Three months of chaos.  By comparison, the Princess site is great - not perfect but it works.

• Thanks 2

We have done most of our cruises with Princess recently but decided to do one with Royal Caribbean in 2024. I find their web site and app very difficult to use. Can’t find info easily, but maybe it’s because I am used to the Princess web site and app. Now I realize they don’t have medallions so we will have to go back to having key cards hanging from our necks… I already miss the medallion…

7 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Please elaborate. A web link would be appreciated. 

We are Elite with Princess and they matched us to Diamond which I think is their highest level.  There was a time limit (3 years) or so to use it - doubt we ever will.

7 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

Many thanks and apologies. My old tired eyes read that you were referring to HAL. Which you clearly were not. Shame on me for not reading your post accurately and more thoroughly that I did.
We status matched with MSC (elite to diamond) some time back. The process was seamless. And we have enjoyed diamond benefits on several cruises.

• Like 2

We have recently (after restart) cruised with Princess, NCL, Carnival (not our choice) and have a cruise booked on MSC. Princess.com wins hands down.

I know a lot of people hate on it and on the app, BUT comparing to other sites and apps princess.com is very straightforward and actually informative. The app is growing on me too, I think I am getting used to it 🙂

Also tried to book a Celebrity cruise and had to call and talk to someone to figure out why I couldnt proceed. Turned out that the ship simply did not have any 3/4 pax cabins. Why would it even let me go past "choose your cruise" stage with 3 pax?

• Like 4

I know that I'm repeating some of what's been said here, but I think if we were all honest and checked our natural inclination to complain, we would have to hand it to Princess and their website. It is leagues ahead of the others in terms of ease of use. I love to check on price changes and availability of cabins and Princess makes it supremely easy for me to do so. A mock booking can be done in seconds, allowing you to check on many variables,: number of guests, type of cabin, location, packages, etc. IN SECONDS. The others feel like the Bataan Death March. And the app is getting better. Is all of it perfect? No. But is the design user friendly? Heck yes. Using other websites has me returning to Princess again and again. I just don't want to work that hard for my vacation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1