Celebrity Silhouette Questions

ls340532

Considering a transatlantic cruise in October. It will be our first on Celebrity. We will be booking a balcony cabin and would welcome advice on location. What toiletries are available? What soda brand is available - Coke? Pepsi? How is the embarkation process? What eating venues are included in the cruise fare? Which restaurants are worth the upcharge? Does the ship have a library? We don't drink alcoholic beverages but enjoy the music in lounges - is this OK?

Still deciding. Thank you for your help.

Past cruises have been on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Cunard.

Silhouette is a ship we have not been on yet, but I really want to try some day.  However we have sailed on her sister ships quite a bit.  And we just did our first westward transatlantic last Oct (Constellation).  It was fantastic.

Answers to some of your questions:

1. balcony near the center of the ship is recommended to minimize the ship's motion.  That is the simple answer to your question but there are a lot of other factors to consider.  For example, Deck 6 is the lowest deck with balconies, but many of the balconies have somewhat obstructed views from the life boats.  Your big decision will be to decide on regular balcony vs Concierge Class (more expensive and you get a couple of perks and likely a better cabin location) vs AquaClass (usually much more popular and expensive and it gets you spa access as well as dining at the restaurant, Blu, dedicated to only AquaClass passengers)--if you are not going to do a suite.  There is a large "hump" in the center of the ship (shown in the diagram below).  The cabins on the four slants have a deeper (larger) than normal balconies that are not evident in the deck plan.

image.jpeg.8c659c049e371c0cef6eef8f92762aaa.jpeg

2. coke, coke! No pepsi!

3. Cruise fare includes dining at the main dining room and at the Oceanview Cafe (buffet).  If you book AquaClass, then you will be dining at Blu.  The Spa Cafe as well as the Mast Grill are also free.  Upcharge restaurants include Murano (very fine dining and definitely worth the $$ and most people agree), Tuscan Grille (fine dining and also worth it in my opinion although some disagree), Le Petit Chef (worth doing once, but some disagree), The Lawn Club Grill (a more informal venue but very much worth it), The Porch (worth trying for lunch), and finally Sushi on Five (good if you like Sushi).  Room service is free for continental breakfast, but hot breakfast and any lunch/dinner has a service charge (unless you are in a suite) which is a new (and irritating) change.

4. We don't drink much alcohol.  There is nothing wrong with hanging out at a lounge with a drink to enjoy the music and a conversation.

5. Silhouette does have a library.  It is located at the center atrium on Deck 10.  I cannot comment much about how good the books are.  The library is out in the open facing the atrium.

image.thumb.jpeg.2db51d2d42da84551cf2844b1e4c0168.jpeg

Silhouette, Port Everglades, Jan 18 2019 (really early in the morning). Silhouette now sports a blue colored hull.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

DW and I were on the April 2023 TA cruise on Silhouette.

As long as you are not bothered by the ship’s movement, any location will be OK; you will want midship if you are bothered somewhat. You probably want to be on a floor with cabins above and below you to reduce ambient noise from public places. If possible, try to get an angled balcony, you can see which one they are as they are more trapezoid shaped; these balconies will be a little larger than the standard ones.

I believe Celebrity has gone the way of budget/ mid level hotels in that they have dispensers in the shower for gel soap, shampoo, and conditioner ( we stayed in a suite). Someone else will correct me if I’m wrong.

Celebrity is a Coke product ship.

The embarkation process for a first-timer not staying in a suite will be longer than most. They will assign you a time window to check-in. DON’T BE TOO EARLY, it will not benefit you. Download the Celebrity app on your phone - you will be able to access all documents on it; you will also be able to download a picture on it to use so it will speed up the process some. You will need passport.

Included eating venues include the Oceanview Cafe ( buffet open for breakfast/lunch/dinner), the Main Dining Room ( MDR), also open for breakfast/ lunch on sea days/ dinner, Cafe Al Bacchio, where the coffee drinks cost without a drinks package, but the “goodies” (pastries and the like) are free, the Mast Grill outside above the pool deck, serving hamburgers/ hot dogs/ fries, and the Aquaspa Cafe in the Solarium which serves more healthy fare for breakfast and lunch.

Specialty restaurants include Murano ( French/Continental), Tuscan Grille ( Italian plus steak), Le Petit Chef at Qsine ( animation enhanced dining, eclectic), the Lawn Club Grill ( grilled meats/fish), the Porch ( seafood/ raw bar),  and Sushi on 5 ( Sushi/Japanese). The first four have additional charges between $50 and $71 per person, the Porch is $35 for lunch, and Sushi on 5 is a la carte. There are discounts for the first night available as well as dining packages at reduced cost. Worth the upcharge? Not at full price.

The ship does have a library.

You can drink anything you want, alcoholic or not, in all lounges. There will be multiple venues for music each night.

Hope this helps (some).

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, padgman1 said:

Mahdnc, you are the master of all ( and you beat me to it !).

Thank you.  I just read your write up and I like it.  Plus you have been on a TA aboard Silhouette just a couple of months ago.  Makes you the better subject matter expert!

Comments about the new Star Link Wi-Fi?

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

Starlink worked well for me, but I am a Luddite when it comes to electronics ( a phone is supposed to makes phone calls, not solve the world’s problems or send self-pictures for mass viewing).

My wife was able to watch downloaded movies on her tablet with no problem.

Edited by padgman1
Additions
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

We were on silhouette recently but not TA. We usually do suites but this time were in Aquaclass which we loved. Really liked Silhouette. Have done Petit chef on Apex & didn’t rate it. Loved Murano & Tuscan was ok. Didn’t do the others. Enjoy it she’s a fabulous ship! 

• Like 1

Some well detailed comments already written. We cruised on Silhouette about a year ago. She is a lovely ship. The only other information I would add is…

Check the ‘Today’ delivered every evening to find out where and when live music is happening. Easy to miss otherwise.

Re speciality dining, Murano and Tuscan are definitely worth visiting. Speak to one of the M’Ds about dining specials. They will often offer deals on longer cruises that can include lunch at The Porch or Sushi on Five. As on sea days (of which you will have many) the buffet can be busy this can be a good option.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ls340532 said:

Considering a transatlantic cruise in October. It will be our first on Celebrity. We will be booking a balcony cabin and would welcome advice on location. What toiletries are available? What soda brand is available - Coke? Pepsi? How is the embarkation process? What eating venues are included in the cruise fare? Which restaurants are worth the upcharge? Does the ship have a library? We don't drink alcoholic beverages but enjoy the music in lounges - is this OK?

Still deciding. Thank you for your help.

Past cruises have been on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Cunard.

Great choice our favorite way to cross.

We don't drink alcohol not an issue.

Best deck for us - 7 mid ship as not to high if the seas are a little rough and you have cabins above and below you. Concierge cabins are waste of money (my opinion). Aqua cabins are AI rates only so if you are planning to book Sail Only rates they are not an option.

Stick to your boarding times and you will probably get from arrival to onboard in around 20 minutes (we have done this 4 times on Silhouette since the restart).

Lots of extra entertainment during the sea days (extra theatre shows, talks quizzes etc).

Join the Roll Call.

Book Any Time Dining and share a table - one of our favorite things to do onboard. 

Above all relax and enjoy

• Like 1

The library is more in name than reality, with not so many books. It is a lovely area, but often occupied full time, by older folk asleep!😴💤. Suggest you take a kindle or a few of your own books to read. Once read paperbacks can be left in the library to save on luggage space.

• Like 1

We were on the Silhouette on the TA crossing last November and had a lovely time. The  one important thing to note is to book a port side cabin as you will have sun all the way, if you book starboard then you’ll have shade for the whole crossing. It is lovely in late autumn to sit out in the sunshine on the balcony mid Atlantic.

Oh and the crew onboard were faultless with a helpful can do attitude. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Our favourite Celebrity ship and she’s been based in the UK for the last few summers.

Crew are amazing and the vibe on board is noticeable.

We will miss her!!

Agree! Lost a ‘friend’ and gained a very expensive alternative…

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We have been on the Silhouette and Reflection multiple times.  We sail in a suite and have refillable bath gels, soap and conditioner in bathroom.  Also we get some toiletries.  Bring your own if fussy.  We love the ship.  Our favorite restaurant is the lawn club grill.  But we do Murano and Tuscan also.  You should try le petite chef once also.  Best to take a package.  We do not like sushi so that for us is a pass.  Service on the ship previously has been great.  We will be sailing on her in January, so hope all continues to be excellent.  

If you can swing it, a suite is great-even try move up.  The experience in Michaels club (retreat) excellent, so are the other perks.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

We were also on the Spring TA in an Aqua Class cabin on deck 11. Our cabin was  aft and although I get motion sick, I didn’t notice the motion unless I was on decks 14 or 15 in the Sky Lounge or Kids Club. 

It’s a nice ship in good shape. Food was good. Service was absolutely excellent. And we didn’t sail with kids but the Activities crew offered a Young At Heart program for adults because there were only 5 children onboard. Most fun experience of the trip 😁

• Like 3

We are on the Silhouette in October and purchased the "dining trio" which includes 2 specialty dinners and 1 lunch. It states you need to see the maitre d' and book your seatings while on board. It seems to me it would be chaos to have a few hundred people all trying to claim their seatings on the first night. Is there a station/kiosk where you go the first day? Is there no way to book on the app?. Our anniversary is the second night and really wanted to save the best experience for that night. Which one would you pick? Also which would be your preference for the lunch?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grimpil said:

We are on the Silhouette in October and purchased the "dining trio" which includes 2 specialty dinners and 1 lunch. It states you need to see the maitre d' and book your seatings while on board. It seems to me it would be chaos to have a few hundred people all trying to claim their seatings on the first night. Is there a station/kiosk where you go the first day? Is there no way to book on the app?. Our anniversary is the second night and really wanted to save the best experience for that night. Which one would you pick? Also which would be your preference for the lunch?

I always go straight to one of the specialty restaurants as soon as I board to nail down my reservation times. For me there may be 3-4 people ahead of me. You can make your reservation for any restaurant from there. I believe there are other stations set up to do reservations but I don't want to wander around and waste time looking for them. I don't know if you can make the reservation through the app when you get on board but that would be a cool idea. 

I would pick Murano for your special anniversary dinner. It is the nicest of the restaurants menu-wise (french cuisine) and has stellar service. 

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, grimpil said:

For lunch the Lawn club grill.  Dinner at Murano's as it is very elegant and special.  Nice for a special celebration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, grimpil said:

Ahhh... SNL, Billy Goat Tavern, just got it!

lol, well, now maybe we are showing our age. I thought it was back from the *original* season with John Belushi and the Greek restaurant that always had Pepsi (and cheeseburgers and chips) and not coke. Thought it was a play on that.

Didn't know about Billy Goat Tavern until I googled it. I guess that makes more sense 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, grimpil said:

That is one in the same, that Greek restaurant was a take on the Billy Goat Tavern in Chicago... at least that is what they told us when we ate there

LMAO, too funny. OK, so it was what I was thinking about. Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, Chips Chips. No coke Pepsi.

When I googles I saw a headline for Billy Goat, but didn't read the details (stupid me) so just assumed  (more stupidity) it was a different skit.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

lol, well, now maybe we are showing our age. I thought it was back from the *original* season with John Belushi and the Greek restaurant that always had Pepsi (and cheeseburgers and chips) and not coke. Thought it was a play on that.

Didn't know about Billy Goat Tavern until I googled it. I guess that makes more sense 🙂

44 minutes ago, grimpil said:

That is one in the same, that Greek restaurant was a take on the Billy Goat Tavern in Chicago... at least that is what they told us when we ate there

A Saturday Night Live classic. When I read a post asking about Coke or Pepsi, that's what I think of. 

• Haha 2