Norovirus on Explorer

Just got off Explorer of the Seas yesterday.  In the middle of the cruise the captain announced “enhanced cleaning regime” due to stomach virus on the ship.  They started serving the food in the Windjammer, a crew member even had to fill your soda cup from the machine for you.  A lot of people got ill.  My husband came down with it on the Friday - he had not eaten in the Windjammer so not from there - quarantined for 24 hours.  The medical staff were very good but it is still a very nasty dose.  We have been on many cruises but luckily never on a ship with an outbreak. It pretty much ruined our last few days and the cruises of many others.  We always wash our hands, use the sanitisers etc.. but obviously it can still get you. 

I think it's good rcl acted. I was on liberty last sept and over 50 posted to my roll call, never saw that many post on one thing. We all got a stomach virus friday around dinner..rcl yelled at me when I tried to report it. Said I got it in cozumel and I didnt even get off the ship. Said they are inspected so its impossible for it to have been their food or anything to do with them. Even those who called rcl were pretty much told whatever, if it's not covid we dont care. 

I got very sick. We thought was e coli but hard to prove afterwards though some got tested. Anything from food poisoning to e coli tests supposedly said. One lady even stayed in the hospital getting tested tying to find the cause. Rcl is not very responsive imo. .. I also got sick in dec, twice in a row and tested negative for covid so wasnt told tk stay in my cabin even though I was clearly sick. 

Rcl is hit or miss. 

Be glad they are taking measures. 

• Like 2

Someone brought it onboard, probably without knowing it.   All they can do is try to contain it.   Noro is very common on land, moreso than on cruise ships and most people have had it  at least once.  It's probably what I had when I was 4 yrs old and was hospitalized for two days only because of the need to give me IV's for dehydration and control my diet.  It's more common that people get over it within 24-48 hours.  It is very contagious and is easily spread by people who don't wash their hands and share it on surfaces.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marielco said:

We have been on many cruises but luckily never on a ship with an outbreak.

That you are aware of. Common issue, most time you don't know there is Noro on your Cruise. Then when hits certain level cases they add extra cleaning, unless they have that number cases onboard you are never aware. Someone brought it on, no way to stop it from happening. Sorry for you, make sure you got credit for your downtime if you didn't. My Daughter had Cold last Fall, quarantine until 2 neg CV Tests and she received $$$ for those 2 days.  

Very aware it happens and when I said, not on a ship with an outbreak before, I meant one that was big enough to impact procedures and a noticeable  amount of people impacted.   

@BND  I suppose it is pot luck whether the ship you are on handles an outbreak properly or not.  Thankfully the captain of Explorer last week did things properly and his medical department were on the ball.  We rang them at 2am in morning and my husband was told to come to medical center immediately.  There were two nurses and a doctor on duty and a number of other patients attending.  The line or other cruisers in defence of RC always trying to say it is “brought on board” by someone is pointless.  
It happens anywhere there is mass catering and a cruise ship just happens to be one of those.  In fact it matters not whether brought on board or originating on board an outbreak needs to be handled properly by the cruise line.  As well as good treatment, my husband has already been told he will get a future cruise credit for the time he was in quarantine. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, marielco said:

The line or other cruisers in defence of RC always trying to say it is “brought on board” by someone is pointless.  

But, it is factual.  I've seen more than a couple of people blame the ship or cruise line for illness.  We were on EN in April.  There was an outbreak about 2 or 3 cruises before ours.  They delayed boarding for the cruises before ours and ours so they could clean more.  They dropped all restrictions on day 2 of our cruise because it was contained by then.  The way they handled it is standard protocol and you will see it across the line and has been reported by others impacted.

Edited by BND

23 hours ago, marielco said:

Just got off Explorer of the Seas yesterday.  In the middle of the cruise the captain announced “enhanced cleaning regime” due to stomach virus on the ship.  They started serving the food in the Windjammer, a crew member even had to fill your soda cup from the machine for you.  A lot of people got ill.  My husband came down with it on the Friday - he had not eaten in the Windjammer so not from there - quarantined for 24 hours.  The medical staff were very good but it is still a very nasty dose.  We have been on many cruises but luckily never on a ship with an outbreak. It pretty much ruined our last few days and the cruises of many others.  We always wash our hands, use the sanitisers etc.. but obviously it can still get you. 

Were you offered anything to make up for it?

Noro happens.  You can excrete the virus for up to 2 weeks according to the CDC and it lives on surfaces for that long too.  So anyone who has had it in the past 2 weeks who doesn’t wash properly after using the bathroom could spread it.  Add to that, people are sharing one bathroom in tiny cabins.  

It went through our house over Thanksgiving last year.  It took out about 8 of 15.  At least we had 3 bathrooms.  It was a memorable long weekend.  

31 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Noro happens.  You can excrete the virus for up to 2 weeks according to the CDC and it lives on surfaces for that long too.  So anyone who has had it in the past 2 weeks who doesn’t wash properly after using the bathroom could spread it.  Add to that, people are sharing one bathroom in tiny cabins.  

It went through our house over Thanksgiving last year.  It took out about 8 of 15.  At least we had 3 bathrooms.  It was a memorable long weekend.  

Then you add in that many normal cleaning do nothing to Noro.   Hand sanitizer also does nothing against Noro.

A major reason why I'll be cleaning our cabin before I settle in.  Hydrogen Peroxide works and is allowed.  

Edited by HappyTexan44

4 hours ago, BND said:

But, it is factual.  I've seen more than a couple of people blame the ship or cruise line for illness.  We were on EN in April.  There was an outbreak about 2 or 3 cruises before ours.  They delayed boarding for the cruises before ours and ours so they could clean more.  They dropped all restrictions on day 2 of our cruise because it was contained by then.  The way they handled it is standard protocol and you will see it across the line and has been reported by others impacted.

Yes, Boarded Cruises after they have done deep cleaning and Delay get to Cabins. I never worry, compared to another Cruise I feel safer onboard here with any additional Protocols