Dressing up for Alaska in July

Phanlee91

Layers is great advice.  We were in Juneau in June one year and it was 85 degrees.  People were in shorts and bathing suits.  Two days later we were in Ketchikan and it was about 65 degrees and raining.  The locals did say that 85 in June was highly unusual...but you never know.

Layers for sure. Not sure about your itinerary but the ports can be so different too. We just did an Alaska cruise last month. 

Juneau weather was pleasant, about 60 and sunny but then it was quite chilly on Glacier Bay day and in Skagway. Ketchikan was also moderate weather...you never know with Alaska!

10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

It will be freezing while cruising thru the fjords if you are on deck.  It will rain during your cruise

Not necessarily.

I have had it be cold and also rain. My recent cruise in May was extremely warm and sunny. People were swimming when we were at Hubbard Glacier. I got a sun burn.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Not necessarily.

I have had it be cold and also rain. My recent cruise in May was extremely warm and sunny. People were swimming when we were at Hubbard Glacier. I got a sun burn.

When you are next to a glacier, it will be cold

36 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

When you are next to a glacier, it will be cold

It isn’t always. I have been to Alaska a ton. It was warm this year. Other times, it can be cool. Expect anything.

I agree about being ready for any weather but certainly not frigid winter weather during cruise season.  We cruised in mid June, including a sun splashed Denali visit and a resurrection bay cruise out of Seward.  Thin, easy to pack sweater , a cheap knit hat, and a hooded, waterproof windbreaker were our go-to favorites.  50-70 degree weather is tolerable.  Add an ocean breeze and some rain to add the chill factor and you’re still not in blizzard conditions!  ( perhaps I should mention that we’re NewEnglanders so summer In Alaska was like a decent October, November or March day for us!  😉)

We did Alaska last July. It was not cold but overcast or rainy the whole time. I took layers. My most-used item was a light-weight hooded waterproof, nylon lined jacket (Magellan - I got it at Academy). I wore it every port day with lighter or heavier layers underneath. If your ship does the glacier passage and you view i form your balcony or an open deck, it WILL be cold. Weat warm layers inclusing a hat, and ask for a blanket.