WOOHOO! We're down to under 36 hours until sail away on our 1st MSC cruise

new_cruiser_75

I just had to share my excitement with someone (DH doesn't like us to share our vacation plans on most social media until we return - rightfully so) but I thought I'd share a little here 😄 

We will be on the Seascape in under 36 hours, deck 11 mid-ship in both balcony and interior rooms, flying through FLL and using SAS transportation both ways; if you have any questions/requests for us to look out for, now is the time to ask.  I won't be posting/answering until I get back though - I use vacation time to disconnect and reconnect ❤️ 

Some things I've learned while booking with MSC:

• you can't prepay the gratuity online but you can call them and prepay it (and prepay for other rooms without the system saving your card - we are bringing adult-ish children and don't want to pay for their games/drinks/souvenirs after paying for their rooms)
  • even though the "kids" don't have any drink packages (we do) we were able to call and link our bookings; we'll see how that translates to dinning together.  Fingers crossed we don't have to fork out even more $$ for drink packages for them too 🥴
  • the MSC site isn't nearly as user friendly as Carnival's but in the end it will save us $$ as I didn't purchase as much pre-cruise fun as I might have otherwise.  Conversely, their call center folks are pretty easy to talk to (I just hate making phone calls in my old age 😝)
  • what else will I learn over the next week? 😄 

Anyways, did I mention that I'm excited?!?

(here's a picture from our last cruise just because 😉

IMG_20211130_130459380_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Relax. I go solo and MSC doesn't make everyone at the table have the same drink status. Every cruise i have been on my table was a mix of solos and couples with some having it and others not. It would be a nightmare for them to try to make every table be totally drinks or no drinks. 

Edited by CruiseScrooge
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Hope you have a wonderful time! We did our first MSC cruise in April and loved it.

HI, Jamie:  I don't want to hijack the thread, but wanted to giver you an update on Virgin Clubhouse at JFK.  We flew out of there on May 31st, an flying Upper Class, we had no problem with entry that evening.  We came back on the 15th, flying Delta One from Dublin.  When we got to the clubhouse, a Delta rep was there (they've named the clubhouse as a temporary Crown Room alternative).  We were there at noon, and told that we were welcome (along with Priority Pass members) to use the club until 1:30.  At 1:30, the club was closed for a half-hour. At 2:00, it opened as Virgin Clubhouse only, but we were allowed back in since we had flown Delta business class that day.  I wonder if that was the time you found it closed on your visit (1:30 to 2:00).  Just an FYI.  John

Edited by JAGR

Something I've learned since my original post: the boarding pass button on the MSC site doesn't seem to ever work and that's ok for 2 reasons

1. the MSC rep said that all you need to board is the embarkation form from the 20+ page PDF that you receive (you don't even need the health questionnaire anymore)
  2. once you are super close to your embarkation date, the MSC app DOES have a workable boarding pass button that gives you a QR code that I imagine is helpful
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I hope the OP makes it on board ship sometime today.

The Miami Cut into port is closed because of a collision between a private boat and a ferry at 3 AM this morning.

No ships can enter or leave the port.

Oh no!  I hope there were no casualties.  

So OP's ship hasn't been able to dock yet?

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Oh no!  I hope there were no casualties.  

So OP's ship hasn't been able to dock yet?

One the people on the thirty foot private boat went into the water. Divers had to retrieve the body.  The other person on the boat was injured and taken to the hospital.

Any one want to lay bets on if either alcohol or drugs is involved in the crash?

3 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

One the people on the thirty foot private boat went into the water. Divers had to retrieve the body.  The other person on the boat was injured and taken to the hospital.

Any one want to lay bets on if either alcohol or drugs is involved in the crash?

I have little doubt alcohol played a role.  So sad.

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Oh geez. Really?

Is it too much to ask of you to let the poor soul and his/her family have a little peace?

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I have little doubt alcohol played a role.  So sad.

2 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Oh geez. Really?

Is it too much to ask of you to let the poor soul and his/her family have a little peace?

Yeh, you're right.  If I could edit my comment, which in hindsight, was insensitive, I certainly would. After all, who are any of us to speculate?  It's tragic for all families involved.