Italy & Adriatic Cruise October 2024

Thanks - we were hoping for Rome and Venice with Croatia in the middle and it doesn't appear that's going to happen in September or October of next year - they all seem to be Venice-Venice.  Looked up Explorer and it is pretty much booked for next October with Venice-Venice itineraries.

2 minutes ago, zoepipes said:

we were hoping for Rome and Venice with Croatia in the middle and it doesn't appear that's going to happen in September or October of next year

Repos like the one this year typically only happen at the front or back end of the season (usually in conjunction with the seasonal TA). It is pretty rare for continual repos during the season (other than Radiance class in Alaska for example)

55 minutes ago, zoepipes said:

Thanks - we were hoping for Rome and Venice with Croatia in the middle and it doesn't appear that's going to happen in September or October of next year - they all seem to be Venice-Venice.  Looked up Explorer and it is pretty much booked for next October with Venice-Venice itineraries.

9/2/24 Voyager Barcelona to Rome then travel overland to Venice? 

Remember cruises aren’t into Venice; Ravenna is 2hrs drive south so you arrive by land even if you end in Ravenna. 
Getting off the train at Santa Lucia and walking out of the station to see the canal and boats is pretty magical…

Or 9/16/24 Athens to Venice/Ravenna then overland to Rome? 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, little britain said:

9/2/24 Voyager Barcelona to Rome then travel overland to Venice? 

Remember cruises aren’t into Venice; Ravenna is 2hrs drive south so you arrive by land even if you end in Ravenna. 
Getting off the train at Santa Lucia and walking out of the station to see the canal and boats is pretty magical…

Or 9/16/24 Athens to Venice/Ravenna then overland to Rome? 

Have you done the Athens to Ravenna route? I was considering this route for next summer but settled on a spain/Italy route instead.

If you've done one or both routes, what did you like about them, and do you recommend one over the other?

6 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Have you done the Athens to Ravenna route? I was considering this route for next summer but settled on a spain/Italy route instead.

If you've done one or both routes, what did you like about them, and do you recommend one over the other?

They are both excellent itineraries .. we are actually booked on the Athens Ravenna one purely because it visits a new port for us, Zakynthos, and Croatia and Montenegro are fabulous.  I’ll never get tired of visiting there. I also love Mykonos and Chania.  Less frantically busy than some ports and easily accessible. 

Your initial post said you wanted to hit Croatia so I think this is the only cruise that does that.  

The other Voyager itinerary is good because of Ajaccio and Portofino but Florence in a day is not enough to do justice to that city. Barcelona port is right in town so very easy. 

Civitavecchia to the airport is about an hour, and into the city is about 90 mins so you will need to factor that into your travel schedule.

Ravenna is about 45 mins from Bologna, again smaller and more manageable - from Bologna you can catch a train to Venice 

I don’t think that really answers your question!!! 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Oh, I miss those 12 niters from Barcelona on Brilliance/Serenade that traversed Venice's canals with an overnite stay in the city.

Or the 12n from Barcelona with an overnight in Istanbul… wonderful itineraries 

On 6/24/2023 at 8:45 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

Athens-Ravenna is the cruise we've chosen!  From Ravenna will travel over to Rome to spent the remainder of the week.  I'm really looking forward to it!

• Like 1