Shorts worn in town on Rhine, Main, Danube?

Denarius

I am shortly to go on a river cruise from Cologne to Budapest via the Rhine, Main and Danube. Whilst in Britain nowadays all it needs is a glimmer of sunshine for men to wear shorts I am conscious that this may not be the case in other countries, at least outside the main tourist areas and beach resorts. Would it be considered normal for men to wear shorts in town along the Rhine, Main and Danube or would this shout out "tourist" or even be frowned upon? Has anyone got experience of this?

Feel free to wear shorts whenever you wish. It is quite common. Might be worth having a look in the daily itinerary though, as shorts are not the appropriate attire to visit churches. Also be careful wearing shorts while cruising - on the water the sunburn comes much quicker.

NB, when participating in a cruise, you will hardly be away from main tourist areas.

• Like 1

I agree that it is fine. Few exceptions - churches may be one. I also see any "problems" more with dinner on the ship. Perhaps check with the cruise director on board for any indoor places that you will visit. Again, generally, absolutely fine.

notamermaid

Churches in Rome certainly will ban you from entering if you have shorts on, but it may be more lax in other parts of Europe.  Check with your cruise director, as mentioned.

Then again, I'm old fashioned----I'm often the only  man to remove his ballcap upon entering a church!

Shorts are frowned upon in churches all-over Europe.  Knees and shoulders should be covered.  Some men wear capri-type cropped pants in summer which could be a solution.  I honestly don’t think shorts keep you cooler though.  Long pants can be a buffer from the radiant heat from the cobbles.

I will expand on my prior comment.  I was on a Rhine cruise a few years ago, and on a Danube cruise last month.  At no time, on either cruise, was there any dress requirement for any town or tour, including our many forays into churches and synagogues (except a kippah for men in the synagogues, which they hand out for free).  On the Danube last month it was quite warm, and I only wore long pants on the plane.  It was shorts the rest of the time.  I realize that onboard may differ according to cruise line rules, but off the boat there are basically no dress rules on these rivers.  Many of the other guests also stuck to shorts, and many did not--but it was all up to personal preference.

Your trip sounds great!  FWIW, here are links to my reviews of the aforementioned cruises:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2942656-gate-1-monarch-governess-may-26-2023-cruise-review-danube-with-budapest-and-prague/#comment-65588127

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=536856

Thank you all for your very helpful comments. Whilst I have been to Germany on several occasions I have never been at the height of Summer. And whilst I knew that German men often wore shorts on holiday I did not know whether they did so in town at home. I did not wish inadvertently to cause offence by breaching local dress etiquette in wearing them. Your replies have reassured me that I will not.

My itinerary is Cologne, Koblenz, Boppard, Rudesheim, Mainz, Miltenberg, Wertheim, Warsburg, Bamberg, Nuremberg, Regensberg, Passau, Melk, Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest. The cruise line is Riviera Travel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

My itinerary is Cologne, Koblenz, Boppard, Rudesheim, Mainz, Miltenberg, Wertheim, Warsburg, Bamberg, Nuremberg, Regensberg, Passau, Melk, Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest. The cruise line is Riviera Travel.

Lovely! The Grand European in the Riviera Travel version. I like that they start many river cruises in Cologne. Interesting that they have a Boppard stop. It kind of extends the time in the Rhine Gorge which I find a plus. Nice small town, too.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid