Rooms with sliding doors?

Snowcat1

I have tried doing a search but nothing came up. I remember once seeing a list of rooms with sliding doors and fixed doors for ocean cruises. Would anyone still have that list? Thanks

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 8:48 AM, Snowcat1 said:

I have tried doing a search but nothing came up. I remember once seeing a list of rooms with sliding doors and fixed doors for ocean cruises. Would anyone still have that list? Thanks

Is this pertaining to going on balcony? Is it better to have one kind of door over the other? What is pros and cons of sliding doors?

41 minutes ago, Krazy4Kruisin' said:

Is this pertaining to going on balcony? Is it better to have one kind of door over the other? What is pros and cons of sliding doors?

We prefer the sliding doors as they don’t require room for door swings on the balcony. Other folks prefer the door. Keep sailing until you have tried them all.🍸😎

• Like 3

I like the room configuration better with a opening door and a window as you can sit on the settee in your cabin and see outside.

Strangely I find the sliding doors a problem as they pull on my shoulder as I try to glide them open or shut.

• Like 1

just what one would expect.   2 opinion posts and 2 completely different thoughts.

I would suggest you go with one and try it out.  You'll likely have your own opinion once you experience it so don't listen to others - form your own idea.

I might also say that a lot depends on how often you go on the balcony as well versus stay inside.  And this can be a function of the weather on your itinerary.  (Keep that in mind).  We've been on a Viking cruise where we never went outside due to the inclement weather.

• Like 2

I agree with @CCWineLover - "it depends."

I put together a general-purpose spreadsheet about VO cabins (attached below), with one of the worksheets addressing this question, with photos. Maybe that will help you and others make the selection you are most likely to be satisfied with.

Viking Ocean Stateroom Information.xlsx

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, What was that? said:

I agree with @CCWineLover - "it depends."

I put together a general-purpose spreadsheet about VO cabins (attached below), with one of the worksheets addressing this question, with photos. Maybe that will help you and others make the selection you are most likely to be satisfied with.

Viking Ocean Stateroom Information.xlsx 144.49 kB · 3 downloads

Wow!

This is a wonderful spreadsheet!  Thank you so much for taking the time to make it so presentable as well.  I will use it quite often in the future.

16 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Wow!

This is a wonderful spreadsheet!  Thank you so much for taking the time to make it so presentable as well.  I will use it quite often in the future.

Great to hear. You are welcome!

Maybe you can find a use for my stateroom comparison document below. As with the spreadsheet, I use these to understand and select our stateroom. Since we are only occasional cruisers, stateroom selection is extra important, because we can't really say "next cruise will be different" because it might be a while, and recalling "our last cruise" has to last a while.

We have only taken one VO cruise - Northern Lights, Viking Venus, cabin 7008. This really spoiled us, but since that was paid by 125% voucher the fare was doable. For our next cruise - Hawaiian Islands Sojourn, Star, cabin 7014 - I chose the same neighborhood, but in a DV1 which seems like a bargain for the location, and our friends who just got off Star in Iceland had a V cabin and they loved it so we'll give it a try. In each case these documents helped me make a selection we were/will be happy with.

I am a detailed planner on some things, as if you can't tell...

Viking Ocean V, DV, PV, PS Staterooms Compared.pdf

• Thanks 1

On Viking’s Ocean website in cabin details the photograph shows a door and a window for PV cabins but obviously there are also the PV cabins with sliders.

I seem to remember that D grade and DV only come with sliders.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gardening_diva said:

The description of PV/DV/V categories on the (UK) Viking website says "Ocean-view stateroom with floor-to-ceiling sliding glass door opening to full-size veranda". Is that not correct for all staterooms then?

PVs are the oddity, all others rooms are sliding doors. Earlier in this thread there is a list posted of which PVs are sliders.  It's about half of them.

Not sure why the different design. Maybe it has something to do with accessibility or it could be due to where these cabins are placed on the ship (bulkheads, etc.)

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

53 minutes ago, gardening_diva said:

The description of PV/DV/V categories on the (UK) Viking website says "Ocean-view stateroom with floor-to-ceiling sliding glass door opening to full-size veranda". Is that not correct for all staterooms then?

The information in my spreadsheet comes from multiple sources within Viking. It should help you select the configuration you prefer, or at least prevent surprises.

4 minutes ago, sugarside said:

On Viking’s Ocean website in cabin details the photograph shows a door and a window for PV cabins but obviously there are also the PV cabins with sliders.

I seem to remember that V grade and DV only come with sliders.

I believe that is correct. The V and DV cabins are the narrowest cabins at a bit over nine feet wide, leaving little room for divided door & window. I looked at quite a few V & DV cabin photos on CruiseDeckPlans.com and saw none with the door-window combination.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

PVs are the oddity, all others rooms are sliding doors. Earlier in this thread there is a list posted of which PVs are sliders.  It's about half of them.

Not sure why the different design. Maybe it has something to do with accessibility?

I got the idea that it had something to do with the ship structure, but I don't remember why. Others on CC are more knowledgeable of such things (like Heidi13) so hopefully they will chime in.

Edited by What was that?
Add detail

1 minute ago, What was that? said:

I got the idea that it had something to do with the ship structure, but I don't remember why. Others on CC are more knowledgeable of such things so hopefully they will chime in.

lol just updated my post saying it could be do to where they are located.

• Thanks 1